You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 3123 > >>
Author Messages
S2kTas
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
01 Feb 2011 06:05 PM

Has anyone driven or own a 2011Ford F-150 with the new EcoBoost engine?

Looks pretty interesting in these Torture Test videos, 365 hp, 420 lb.-ft torque, and 11,300 lbs. towing capacity. Uses regular gas and rated 15/21 in the 4 wheel drive version, 16/22 for the 2 wheel drive one.

http://

Joe

rice_racer

--
    01 Feb 2011 08:22 PM
    the eco bost engine is not yet available in the f 150 it will be a late release so expect the first eco bost f 150's in the spring... i too think that it is very interesting..
    S2kTas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Feb 2011 10:36 PM

Wow, I was not aware that the engines were not out yet....... when you go onto the Ford Site, you can build a F-150 with the EcoBoost engine. It adds $750 to the over all cost of the truck.

I went looking to see I could find any thing in the news, and found this article from last week.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011...9720110125

Joe

l33t9eek

--
    02 Feb 2011 11:25 AM
    I've been watching them pretty closely. They've been hitting the dealer lots only within the last week, and only in very few quantities. The EB motors were a late release, the 5.0 and 3.7's have been on the lots for a month or 2 already.
    l33t9eek

--
    02 Feb 2011 11:25 AM
    double post.
    fastmike
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    03 Feb 2011 10:17 PM

I 2 am.was? interested in this rig. Until I heard(read) that Dodge might be putting a small diesel into a 1500.

FM

mcolangelo2005

--
    03 Feb 2011 11:07 PM

I hope these engines work out well. The 3-valve Triton engines that these new engines are replacing were quite problematic.

l33t9eek

--
    04 Feb 2011 10:51 AM
    fastmike wrote:

I 2 am.was? interested in this rig. Until I heard(read) that Dodge might be putting a small diesel into a 1500.

FM

I've heard that as well, but the economics will be marginal at best I think. That's the reason that ford didn't put their 4.4L diesel in the F150. A $7000 premium will take a LONG time to pay off vs. a $1750 premium. My guess is it'll be somewhere around 600K miles assuming a 4mpg difference and the current gas/diesel prices.

Joe_914
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    08 Feb 2011 09:54 AM
    I will wait till these come up for sale on the used market, Like when the 2 year leases are up.

Not sure if I could EVER part ways with my 7.3L monster truck.
    solo-x
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    08 Feb 2011 11:41 AM
    Joe_914 wrote:
    I will wait till these come up for sale on the used market, Like when the 2 year leases are up.

Not sure if I could EVER part ways with my 7.3L monster truck.

Interestingly, with 420lb/ft and gasser gearing to take advantage of the broader rev range, the wheel torque looks pretty similar between the 7.3 and the EcoBoost.

jdchristianson
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Feb 2011 01:05 PM

I'd have to have a side by side "feel-o-meter" test with the 7.3 vs the ecoboost. I don't think with a loaded truck, loaded trailer, and booth leaving the stop light at 800 rpm that they would feel the same. I do think the eco boost shows great promise, and am very curious to hear the first real world towing experiences.

BigEnos
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    08 Feb 2011 01:43 PM
    Why would an ecoboost do anything except idle at 800rpm? Understandable with the diesel because that's a more valid part of its rev range (I'm assuming), but AFAIK the ecoboost is backed up by a 6-speed auto and I'm sure the flash/stall speed of that converter is well above 800rpm.

I think it looks like a great option if it proves reliable. Pickuptrucks.com just reviewed the 5.0L equipped F150 and it also sounds like a great drivetrain.
    S2kTas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Feb 2011 05:10 PM

Yesterday, I stopped by one of our Kansas City Ford dealers (Thoroughbred Ford), and asked if they had any on their lot. Answer was "not yet, but they expect to get some in their inventory in the next 30 to 45 days".

Joe

jdchristianson
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Feb 2011 05:39 PM

ok, I didn't really mean 800rpm literally. I'm just not a believer that the eco boost will haul a monster load from a dead stop in the same manner that a 7.3 diesel will. If it does, great.

BigEnos
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    08 Feb 2011 08:18 PM
    jdchristianson wrote:

ok, I didn't really mean 800rpm literally. I'm just not a believer that the eco boost will haul a monster load from a dead stop in the same manner that a 7.3 diesel will. If it does, great.

Yeah, I think I was a little crazy taking it so literally. Good times.

I'm pretty sure it won't pull like a 7.3, but I think it will out-pull all the gassers. It's also a far cheaper option. Personally, I can't justify paying for a diesel option on a HD pickup. When I bought my '03 it was over $7000 with the allison trans. I think it's over $9K now. I don't need it and I won't get that money back.

Impala SS AutoXer
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Feb 2011 08:53 PM
    BigEnos wrote:
    jdchristianson wrote:

I'm pretty sure it won't pull like a 7.3, but I think it will out-pull all the gassers. It's also a far cheaper option. Personally, I can't justify paying for a diesel option on a HD pickup. When I bought my '03 it was over $7000 with the allison trans. I think it's over $9K now. I don't need it and I won't get that money back.

For what it's worth, it was approx $7K difference when I got my 06 GMC (with the Duramax) in 2006.

And if you look at USED values on the trucks now, it is STILL worth roughly $7K more.

Bonus that I've gotten a far more capable tow vehicle (that gets a lot better MPG) in the meantime ;)

Will be interested to see the real world MPG (both empty AND towing) on the Ecoboost though...

Ryno
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    09 Feb 2011 01:43 PM
    Impala SS AutoXer wrote:
    BigEnos wrote:
    jdchristianson wrote:

For what it's worth, it was approx $7K difference when I got my 06 GMC (with the Duramax) in 2006.

And if you look at USED values on the trucks now, it is STILL worth roughly $7K more.

Bonus that I've gotten a far more capable tow vehicle (that gets a lot better MPG) in the meantime ;)

Will be interested to see the real world MPG (both empty AND towing) on the Eco boost though...

I agree 100% that the extra money you pay for the diesel is an investment that you get back on resale.

I have seriously been thinking about the Eco boost because of the 21mpg combined with fuel that is around .50 cents a gallon less. Only down side for me is the lower towing capacity. I used to have a '99 Ford F 350 with the V10, looking at the old spec it appears that the ecobost has similar or better HP and Torque.

SmokingTires
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    09 Feb 2011 02:01 PM
    BigEnos wrote:
    jdchristianson wrote:

Depends on how much you tow.

A gas 1998 Dodge 2500 runs about $6k. Towing a enclosed trailer at a high 8mpg (likely less) to Milwaukee 660miles round trip would cost you $216 (gas costs at $2.60/gallon). A 1998 Diesel 4x4 Manual runs about $11k. At the 17mpg I got today, round trip would costs $121 (diesel at $3.10/gallon). So a $90 savings on one trip. So at a $5000 price difference, it would take about 27k miles of driving to make up the difference. At my personal towing mileage at 9k last year, it would only take 3 years in fuel alone to pay off the difference. Then you factor in less maint and engine issues.

It made plenty of sense in my case to do diesel. Plus the fact that it tows so much better than anything else.

BigEnos
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    09 Feb 2011 02:15 PM
    SmokingTires wrote:
    BigEnos wrote:
    jdchristianson wrote:

Depends on how much you tow.

A gas 1998 Dodge 2500 runs about $6k. Towing a enclosed trailer at a high 8mpg (likely less) to Milwaukee 660miles round trip would cost you $216 (gas costs at $2.60/gallon). A 1998 Diesel 4x4 Manual runs about $11k. At the 17mpg I got today, round trip would costs $121 (diesel at $3.10/gallon). So a $90 savings on one trip. So at a $5000 price difference, it would take about 27k miles of driving to make up the difference. At my personal towing mileage at 9k last year, it would only take 3 years in fuel alone to pay off the difference. Then you factor in less maint and engine issues.

It made plenty of sense in my case to do diesel. Plus the fact that it tows so much better than anything else.

I tow an open trailer, definitely don't need a diesel. I get ~11mpg towing give or take a mpg depending on terrain and traffic.

Less maintenance and engine issues are a big plus with a gas motor, you're right.

Impala SS AutoXer
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    09 Feb 2011 04:42 PM
    BigEnos wrote:
    tow an open trailer, definitely don't need a diesel. I get ~11mpg towing give or take a mpg depending on terrain and traffic.

Less maintenance and engine issues are a big plus with a gas motor, you're right.

I also have an open trailer (with an 06 2500HD Duramax truck).

FWIW, my towing mileage :

• Open Trailer, Civic in the Avatar on it, "Out West" speeds (75-80 MPH, including NOT slowing down while up in the Mtns...BIG Mtns between California and Lincoln) : 17 MPG
    • Open Trailer, Civic, "CA/OR Legal-ish" speeds (55 with trailer in CA and OR, so this is 60-62 MPH going from home in the Bay Area to either San Diego/El Toro or Packwood) : 18-19 MPG (yes, have seen 19 MPG sustained on the highway while towing before!!!)
    • Same Truck/Trailer, but my other "toy" on it (96 Chevy Impala SS, "not even in the ballpark of stock anymore", weighs over DOUBLE what the Civic does at 4300 lb vs 2000 lbs) : take the numbers above and knock 1-2 MPG off of them.
    • 24 ft Enclosed to Topeka and back one year, 70-75 MPH : 12-14 MPG depending on the winds
    • And for comparison, truck gets 14-16 MPG in "in town", 20 at 70-75 MPH and 22 at 55 MPH while empty. In other words, numbers about in line to a little worse to what is being claimed for the Ecoboost.

In my mind, the question is if the EcoBoost can come close to matching (or, if REALLY lucky, exceeding) those MPG numbers with those loads on the open trailer.

As for "increased/troublesome maintenance with the diesel", I haven't seen it. But then, I am NOT driving a truck with a 6.x liter Powerstroke in it :) .

My truck is a little over 100K. In that time, the only non-maintenance items have been the steering shaft rattle (fixed, came back, now ignore) and an HVAC control on the floorboard ($125 part, took about 30 minutes to swap it). Obviously, both of those have nothing to do with the truck's motor. Beyond that, it's just oil changes at the recommended intervals (9-10K miles, 10 quarts of Rotella-T a time at $13/GALLON), external trans filter at every other oil change ($10 part, and about $1 worth of Dex-6 to top it off...and the old filter always comes off with CLEAN fluid in it), one set of fluid flushes (i.e. you'd be doing that with the gas truck anyways), and a fuel filter ($30) every 15K miles (30 minute swap). So in terms of $$$ for fluids/filters it's been pretty much a wash with a gas truck (oil change = more oil but a longer interval).

Needless to say, I've been pretty pleased/impressed with the experience.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 3123 > >>

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner