You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 3 << < 123 > >>
Author Messages
dmitrik4
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
10 Feb 2011 08:15 PM
doesn't talk about towing mileage (and w/ non-towing-friendly 3.15 gearing), but

Quote:
During our drive, Ford sponsored the "Ford EcoBoost Fuel Economy Challenge," which involved trying to squeeze the most mpg out of the EcoBoost-powered trucks equipped with 3.15:1 axle gears. The Challenge took place on an approximately 20-mile course while being monitored by Ford representatives via the Ford Work Solutions onboard computer. The top mpg winner in our group of 24 drivers logged a shocking 32.5 mpg. Bear in mind, this was full-on "hypermiling" and not normal driving, but it's impressive nonetheless. While the rest of our group focused on actually trying to get good fuel mileage, we ignored the challenge completely and put our foot-to-the-floor at every opportunity, which earned us a dead-last finishing position. But here's the amazing thing: we still got 19.4 mpg.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtest...st_v6.html

as i understand it, the EPA procedure penalizes turbo engines by keeping them in boost longer than they would be in real-world driving. i don't know if that's true, but i know the only turbo car i've lived with (my wife's Saab) almost always beat its rated numbers. even if the truck is pulling down 19mpg in hard driving, that's pretty good.
BigEnos
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
10 Feb 2011 10:31 PM
dmitrik4 wrote:
doesn't talk about towing mileage (and w/ non-towing-friendly 3.15 gearing), but

Quote:
During our drive, Ford sponsored the "Ford EcoBoost Fuel Economy Challenge," which involved trying to squeeze the most mpg out of the EcoBoost-powered trucks equipped with 3.15:1 axle gears. The Challenge took place on an approximately 20-mile course while being monitored by Ford representatives via the Ford Work Solutions onboard computer. The top mpg winner in our group of 24 drivers logged a shocking 32.5 mpg. Bear in mind, this was full-on "hypermiling" and not normal driving, but it's impressive nonetheless. While the rest of our group focused on actually trying to get good fuel mileage, we ignored the challenge completely and put our foot-to-the-floor at every opportunity, which earned us a dead-last finishing position. But here's the amazing thing: we still got 19.4 mpg.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtest...st_v6.html

as i understand it, the EPA procedure penalizes turbo engines by keeping them in boost longer than they would be in real-world driving. i don't know if that's true, but i know the only turbo car i've lived with (my wife's Saab) almost always beat its rated numbers. even if the truck is pulling down 19mpg in hard driving, that's pretty good.

My 2010 TDI Golf destroys its EPA ratings without even trying. Worst tank I've gotten so far has been about 37mpg and that was tons of stop/go driving and winter fuel. I drive like a bat out of hell just about always so I don't know what I'd have to do to get the EPA city which is like 31.

S2kTas
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
20 Feb 2011 12:37 PM
Yesterday, our local Ford dealer called me to advise that they received their first F150 with EcoBoost. I'm not buying a Truck with a Color of Red Candy......but I did take it for a 5 mile test drive on the Interstate. Very Smooth and Quiet.....lots and Lots of Power and Torque. It was Very Quick!

This was the Lariat Edition with lots of Creature Comforts...see the invoice below.

Foglght
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
03 Mar 2011 04:24 PM
The ecoboost only comes in certain packages, with certain options. It really isn't a $750 option.

I'll take a N/A V8 over a boosted 6 any day....unless we're talkin diesel.
fastmike
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
04 Mar 2011 08:43 PM
Hotdogs and supposedly the first Ecoboost F150 in Washington State is going to be at a local dealership tomorrow. I am going to go check it out.
Hopefully they will be doing ride and drives.
FM
jdchristianson
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
04 Mar 2011 09:40 PM

Have not driven it, but we have our first one on the lot in Eastern Iowa. So they should start showing up in numbers very soon.

fastmike
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
05 Mar 2011 09:04 PM

Ford's travelling road show and drive came to town. I drove a Ecoboost XLT Crew 4x4 6.5 bed with the 3.73's(tow package).
Tq on truck reminded me a lot of a diesel. Tq early and strong.

I liked the tranny. Seems like it really tries to go right to 6th gear. Even at 40mph.
Seems to bleed boost or something between full throttle shifts. Probably to protect the tranny against the tq.
I could really tell when the tq convertor locked and unlocked. I like that.

LOTS of room inside. Guy said 3" change. I say a GREAT improvement to the earlier model for sight and comfort and rear seat room.
B-piller seems further back? Guy, who has been to 26 states showing the thing off(26,500 miles) said B-piller is "bordon steel" or something.

I asked how many airbags. He said "a LOT".
He got a little nervous doing the "on ramp" thing. Gets to 80 pretty quickly. I think he said that "it picks up speed pretty quickly and can be deceiving on how fast your are going". 3 times before I got to the on-ramp.

I did not like the 18" wheels. They felt heavy over the "chatter" bumps/expansion joints.
He agreed and said that he liked the 17's.

Some neat little things like steps to get at stuff in the bed on each side behind rear doors.
Foam insert between front fenders and hood to seal it off. I have never seen that before.
Large tranny cooler.
Brakes acceptable in full panic stop.
Built in trailer brake controller and supposedly a anti-sway thing.
LSD a little brutal on lock-up during full throttle launch-turn. That said, I did not feel vehicle stability control once.
I wasn't driving that hard though.

Computer said 15.5 mpg. Not sure when he reset it etc.

As far as light duty's go, I have never driven a better one. I think it is safe to say Ford is leading the pack on light duty's right now. Dodge's rumored light duty diesel might give it a run though.

The thing I did not like was the feeling of really heavy wheel/tire package. Dampers felt pretty good in all other situations though. A little "plastic-eee" inside. Just a little though. That can be fixed with upgrading to $higher$ trims. I would probably be happy enough with the plastic ie less $$$...

FM

Joe_914
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
07 Mar 2011 03:30 PM
With 18" rims where would someone buy tires to achieve the load rating.
16" goes to load range E
17" goes to load range C and D
18" ?????? Heavy car tire?
fastmike
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
07 Mar 2011 08:47 PM
Did a little more "research".

Seems the Ecoboost only gets a 26 gallon tank. Kinda scary in Wyoming at night even with the mpg while towing which we all don't know yet.
Can it just touch 17 mpg with a 20' enclosed at 70mph with a canopy and bubble on the trailer? Wishful thinking? It better get at least 14!

The non Ecoboost F150's get a choice between 26 and 36 gallon ones depending on wheelbase/cab etc.
Then I heard that the 26 gallon Ecoboost tank is a completely different tank than the non direct injection motor 26 gallon tank.
Hmmm...don't know why or if that is true or not. (see parts lists?)

I would be interested in a crew cab 2wd XLT 6.5 bed w/lsd and ecoboost and 17" aluminum wheels which do look nice.
Not sure about tow package or max tow package.
Even an enclosed trailer with 4K lbs of cargo isn't going to work this thing that hard I think.

I did not try it during my short drive, but supposedly you can manually lock out 5th and/or 6th for towing.

Don't know about "E" range tires. Didn't look at the one I drove.

Cmon Dodge! Where is that light duty Diesel with no DPF! I would like a manual tranny but I pretty much figure that ain't gonna happen.

FM
BigEnos
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
07 Mar 2011 09:02 PM
Super Duty Fords and HD GMs can be had with 18" and 20" tires and they should be load range "E". That said, a half ton doesn't generally have "E" tires on it to begin with.
BigEnos
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
07 Mar 2011 09:06 PM
Tire rack offers 10 different tires with Load Range "E" in 275/65-18.
Joe_914
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
08 Mar 2011 12:36 PM
Absolutely not required for 1/2 ton truck to need E rated tires. But these new trucks are claiming tow ratings as high as my 2000 F250.

I think my truck can tow more than advertised and the new trucks are optimistic to say the least.
dmitrik4
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
08 Mar 2011 02:15 PM

didn't SAE standardize the tow rating process recently to try to curb excessive capacity claims? i seem to remember a lot of trucks being re-rated somewhat lower.

it wouldn't surprise me to see current half-ton trucks capable of towing as much (and as well) as bigger trucks from 10+ years earlier. they are bigger and more powerful than they were a decade ago (the 2011 F-150 has a longer wheelbase and length than the 2001 F-250 did, and weighs about the same); they have improved mechanicals (e.g., 6-speed vs. 4-speed transmissions) and frame designs and use stronger materials.

every other measure of vehicle performance has increased over time--hell, an Accord V6 gets to 60mph in well under 6 seconds and runs the 1/4 in low 14s at over 100mph...what types of MY2000 cars were running those times?--towing capacity should not be any different.

S2kTas
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
08 Mar 2011 04:28 PM
New SAE Tow Ratings - below is a Link on the Toyota Tundra blog that has some info. Says that the plan is to have all manufacturers to begin adhering to the standard testing process by 2013.

Tundra Blog

For more info about the testing standards, Google for SAE J2807. They have been working on these for a number of years.

Joe

S2kTas
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
08 Mar 2011 04:50 PM

Ford EcoBoost Forum

For Months, this forum was pretty quiet, but now has more recent comments with people test driving, ordering or taking delivery. One of the Posters works in the Ford Plant in Kansas City. Note his comments in the thread about the Ecoboost making a Ticking Sound.

Joe

fastmike
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
08 Mar 2011 05:10 PM
I heard a ticking. Sounded just like the direct injection on Cobalt SS turbo.
BigEnos
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
08 Mar 2011 09:22 PM
Joe_914 wrote:
Absolutely not required for 1/2 ton truck to need E rated tires. But these new trucks are claiming tow ratings as high as my 2000 F250.

I think my truck can tow more than advertised and the new trucks are optimistic to say the least.

I agree with that. My 2003 2500HD is rated to tow just less than 10K lbs. and I call BS on wanting to pull more than that with a half ton. I don't care how much power you have, you have to be able to turn it and stop it! I know for a fact that the EcoBoost would leave me for dead in any sort of drag race, too.

fastmike
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
24 Apr 2011 12:15 AM
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/0...art-1.html
Uh oh! back to the 12 valve Cummins..
talon95
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
24 Apr 2011 09:10 AM
Anytime you're pulling a heavy brick through the air, you're not going to get very good mileage. Doesn't matter how many turbos on the motor or gears you put in the tranny, there's a certain amount of energy that has to be used.

I would have been interested to see what mileage the unloaded truck got at 75-80mph. My Tundra will do 18-20 at lower speeds (sub 70), but falls off fast as you go above 70.

Dave G.
fastmike
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
24 Apr 2011 12:51 PM
Yea. A drop of dino juice ony has so much roar in it...
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 3 << < 123 > >>

Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner