Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
OneEyeMedia

--
20 May 2009 07:58 PM

So, what you think?

I have 66k miles on these. I was trying to see if it would get rid of my ticking, or clicking sound I have going on with the Hyundai. I do not think it fixed it. I just hope the engine is not bad...

mavisky

--
    21 May 2009 08:57 AM

Wow, 4 is surprisingly rusty. Looks like someone powerwashed their motor and didn't dry it out enough. The tips are what's important, but yours appear to be a tannish/brown which is good. Black is bad and white is worse. I am concerned that #3 looks like the gap is significantly smaller than the other 4. I'd get a feeler gauge in there and compare it to the rest.

When does this ticking noise start? Is it low rpms only, high rpms only, varies with rpm throughout the entire range, only hear when accelerating and decelerating, only when driving and goes away when driving, only does it when cold in the morning?

What weight oil are you using? Checked the level lately?

How loud is it? Does it get drowned out by road and wind noise at highway speeds, or is it loud enough you have to talk over it?

OneEyeMedia

--
    21 May 2009 09:21 AM

Well, ticking/clicking is all the time, soft at idle and louder when accelerate.

Hard to explain in words, maybe I can meet up with you sometime and you can hear it in person?

I was taking a chance that the plugs were bad. Oil is fresh, matter fact...I had gone a couple 1000 miles over on the lasto one and a couple days before the fresh change the ticking/clicking started. It was not very loud, since then it has gotten worse. But I notice this morning, that the ticking is a lot less now with the new plugs. A co-worker who build motorcycles explained to me that maybe an exhaust leak can make this similar noise. I do have aome ebay headers on it with the side exhaust...not sure, I have had this one for a year now. The headers are cheap, could they be warped enough to cause this sound?

Also, talking to a few of my friends on this (they have not heard it yet), explained to me the lifter or valve may need to be adjusted. I have no clue in thie area.

Thanks for the reply Mavis! You are always a wise one and very helpful when it comes to this stuff :P

Peppler33CS
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    21 May 2009 10:21 AM

Sounds like lifter tick, which is common on Miata's with hydraulic lifters. Not sure if you engine has hydraulic or not, but if so then they could use a good cleaning. I opted out for the easy way and bought new lifters and its much quieter now. You could also try to "flush" the hydraulic lifters, there are various oil additives that can do this. I did something like 50/50 oil and ATF and ran it at high idle for 20 minutes, then drain and do a proper oil change. I'm sure various Hyundai specific online forums will have topics covering this.

If you don't have hydraulic lifters, then you should measure the gap between the shim and cam lobes and reference your manual to see if it is within spec.

mavisky

--
    21 May 2009 10:54 AM

Agreed with Peppler 100%

If it's a louder knock that goes away at idle but gets really loud when revving it could be rod knock, but I'm almost certain this is lifter tick.

bmonnin1
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    21 May 2009 11:05 AM
    I would guess a lifter or a valve tick also. Go to the auto parts store and pick up a stethoscope and a valve cover gasket. Take off the valve cover and put the tip of the stethoscope on the pivot bolt for each of the valves. If one of your valves is ticking you will distinctly hear it through the stethoscope. Just be careful, since the valve cover is off when you are running the motor you may get some oil splatter and/or overrun. Of course if it isn't a valve tick it could be your exhaust needs a new header gasket as you friend said or possible worse, it may be a rod knock. Let me know what you find.
    mavisky

--
    21 May 2009 11:11 AM

bmonnin1 wrote:
    I would guess a lifter or a valve tick also. Go to the auto parts store and pick up a stethoscope and a valve cover gasket. Take off the valve cover and put the tip of the stethoscope on the pivot bolt for each of the valves. If one of your valves is ticking you will distinctly hear it through the stethoscope. Just be careful, since the valve cover is off when you are running the motor you may get some oil splatter and/or overrun. Of course if it isn't a valve tick it could be your exhaust needs a new header gasket as you friend said or possible worse, it may be a rod knock.

Stethoscope is a great idea, but don't run the motor with your VC off. It'll sling quarts of oil everywhere. This trick works ok with OHV engines, but not OHC engines. The oil gets slung by the lobes. It's the equivalent or using your blender without the lid on and filled to the top.

bmonnin1
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    21 May 2009 11:22 AM
    mavisky wrote:

bmonnin1 wrote:
    I would guess a lifter or a valve tick also. Go to the auto parts store and pick up a stethoscope and a valve cover gasket. Take off the valve cover and put the tip of the stethoscope on the pivot bolt for each of the valves. If one of your valves is ticking you will distinctly hear it through the stethoscope. Just be careful, since the valve cover is off when you are running the motor you may get some oil splatter and/or overrun. Of course if it isn't a valve tick it could be your exhaust needs a new header gasket as you friend said or possible worse, it may be a rod knock.

Stethoscope is a great idea, but don't run the motor with your VC off. It'll sling quarts of oil everywhere. This trick works ok with OHV engines, but not OHC engines. The oil gets slung by the lobes. It's the equivalent or using your blender without the lid on and filled to the top.

Good point Kyle. Never had to do it on an OHC engine before. You may be able to approximate the location of the ticking valve with the VC on using a stethoscope or at least confirm it is a ticking valve.

OneEyeMedia

--
    21 May 2009 12:33 PM

Ok, I will try this next, additive and oil flush.

Thanks for the input guys! Very helpful 8)

wrheadle

--
    25 May 2009 08:46 PM
    #3 looks like mechanical damage. Any chance you dropped it during/after removal? If not, I'd pull the new #3 back out after a little bit of time and check it for the same thing...
    OneEyeMedia

--
    26 May 2009 10:57 AM

Well, I bought an additive and more oil/filter to see if I could clean the engine out and this was a negative ghost rider.

Bill: Spark plug was dropped when I put it on the car, operator error... Good eyes!

Guess I am down to an adjustment to something.........

Yeah :(

wrheadle

--
    26 May 2009 04:55 PM
    JPMRacing26 wrote:

Bill: Spark plug was dropped when I put it on the car, operator error... Good eyes!

Jason-

Installing a spark plug like that is really bad. It can cause all manner of problems to crop up and potentially is the cause of your problem, but may no longer be the fix due to other damage caused to that cylinder. Hopefully, you can get it working with just cleaning...

Bill

mavisky

--
    26 May 2009 06:02 PM
    JPMRacing26 wrote:

If this means that you dropped the spark plug after you tried to set it on top of the car then there's no problem. If it means you dropped it before you put the part on the car, as in installing it, then it could be a big problem. I'm guessing though that those are the stock spark plugs that came with your car.

OneEyeMedia

--
    26 May 2009 07:23 PM

The plugs shown are the ones I took out of the car, These are the original ones that came with the car new. I dropped one of them after taking it out and setting it on the engine bay, I leaned over and knocked it on the ground. Thanks for the inquiry though :P

I think I might just save up and get an engine rebuild kit for it, you think 67k on an engine is to soon for a rebuild kit (you know how I drive). I plan to throw the slanted H on stands and go to town taking the engine out and learn it step by step. I have the benz to drive for a while, so I thought this would be a great learning experience and well...I might post up some questions from time to time on it. At first I was going to abandon the slanted h project, but I just might continue on. I will never get any money out of it and I figure it makes a great learning car on things.

wrheadle

--
    26 May 2009 07:42 PM
    Take a look at this reference for spark plugs
    OneEyeMedia

--
    26 May 2009 07:49 PM

wrheadle wrote:
    Take a look at this reference for spark plugs

This is an excellent reference Bill, THANKS!

mavisky

--
    26 May 2009 07:50 PM

Dude it's a big undertaking requiring a lot of space, tools, and time. I'm not saying it's beyond you, but I'd let someone who's familiar with DOHC cars come and diagnose it first before committing to an entire tear down.

For reference my rather basic rebuild set me back $750.for gaskets, new pistons, new rings, new rod bearings, gaskets and seals for half the motor, and some machine work to get the new pistons pressed on.

OneEyeMedia

--
    26 May 2009 07:57 PM
    mavisky wrote:

Dude it's a big undertaking requiring a lot of space, tools, and time. I'm not saying it's beyond you, but I'd let someone who's familiar with DOHC cars come and diagnose it first before committing to an entire tear down.

For reference my rather basic rebuild set me back $750.for gaskets, new pistons, new rings, new rod bearings, gaskets and seals for half the motor, and some machine work to get the new pistons pressed on.

Yeah, you are probably completely RIGHT :P

OneEyeMedia

--
    28 May 2009 02:26 PM

Compression test???

Where do I get one done or how do I get one done.? In a couple weeks I will be pulling the Slanted H in the garage and start working on things. Before I commit to the rebuild, I would like to have it checked out to see how the engine is. I am going to check a couple things tonight to see more about the ticking noise...hopefully I can get it to stop tonight. I have found some OEM struts and springs finally and going to put a OEM header back on as well, found some down in Florida that a guy is selling cheap.

mavisky

--
    28 May 2009 02:42 PM

Buy a compression tester at Autozone or something.

I'm betting it's just the lifters ticking. It's a pretty common problem with the DSM's, and remember that Hyundai used to use the 4g63 in their cars and borrowed some designs from it when they built their first line of engines which includes your little 2.0 there. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that's all it is. It's a pretty minor issue, but about the only way to fix it is to remove the lifters and clean them individually or replace them with the later model versions with larger holes. I can't be certain that's what is going on. But I highly highly doubt you need an entire engine rebuild with this ticking sound. A cheap and easy test is to remove all of your accessory belts and fire the car up. If the ticking noise doesn't appear then you know that it's related to your a/c compressor, power steering pump, or alternator. If the sound comes back then you can narrow it down to your engine/transmission.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner