Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
David Lehman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
28 Mar 2011 08:38 AM

Ok....udate South Florida.

Towing back from a local event yesterday with my buddy Hector.

"Dave, something's wrong." Yeah truck doesn't want to go into overdrive, or even 3rd. Uh oh (184,300 miles). Not much fun drivng like 35 to 40mph on the Florida Turnpike, and then getting a TRANSMISSION HOT warning on the DIC. Truck made in back home.....barely. Have it parked in the driveway of a foreclosed home around the corner (super long driveway....longest driveway in the neighborhood..only thing I love about that house). Didn't even take the car off the trailer yet. I think the truck could make it to the dealer, but it must be replace the transmission time. Anybody guess how much that would cost ?

I guess the trade in value is now MUD. But I just loved the Quadrasteer of my truck.

New diesel truck if I can swing it ?

I am scared of the lack of maneuverability of a Crew Cab, as my Sierra is an Extended Cab, as I am not the greatest driver (as people who have seen me drive can attest to)....

Damn should have traded the truck before the transmission blew....but at least I didn't get stuck 1,000 miles away from home.

If anyone would care to voice opinions I would like to hear them.

Thanks,

Mr. David H. Lehman

Cr0usEEE
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Mar 2011 10:29 AM
    Just fix it...its not THAT expensive...

Anything is better than a new truck payment...
    BigEnos
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    28 Mar 2011 10:51 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003...230ee9eb50

It's an '03 Quadrasteer 1500HD. Crew Cab, 6.0L, 4l80E trans. I wish they had kept QUADRASTEER, always seemed like a good idea that never caught on.

snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Mar 2011 11:16 AM
    David, these transmissions can be for +/- $1500 plus labor. There are places such as this http://monstertrans.com/store/categ...ons/4L80E/ that even offer levels of upgrades. (I assume that it has the 4L80E.) Having been in the tool business for 2 decades, it became clear that (quality remanufactured) A/Ts were better than locally built rebuilt A/Ts, and usually cost no more, and even usually LESS. Warranties are better, too. Google "4L80E transmission" and you will see plenty of hits on good info. HTH.
    David Lehman
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Mar 2011 09:07 PM
    Thanks,

John, Brian, and Bob........

Dropping off truck tomorrow at a Chevy dealer where a good friend and racer is the service manager....1800 or so for the transmission, but I think my friend will give me like a 10% break on the price and I think the labor also.

New transmission with warranty + no truck payment = one happy Jew.
    TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Mar 2011 11:13 PM
    a Porsche Panamera has a 5000# tow rating, just sayin' .... ;-)
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Mar 2011 11:17 PM
    David Lehman wrote:
    Thanks,

John, Brian, and Bob........

Dropping off truck tomorrow at a Chevy dealer where a good friend and racer is the service manager....1800 or so for the transmission, but I think my friend will give me like a 10% break on the price and I think the labor also.

New transmission with warranty + no truck payment = one happy Jew.

Oy gevalt. Such a DEAL?!?!?! Mozel tov. (Love live the tribe!!!!)

ratt_finkel
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    31 Mar 2011 01:21 AM
    That is an amazing deal! I had the tranny rebuilt on my caddy recently for 2.2k.
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    31 Mar 2011 08:08 AM
    If Lehman did NOT get special treatment for his transmission, can you just imagine the special "TREATMENTS" he would provide THEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????? Oy.
    David Lehman
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    31 Mar 2011 09:17 AM
    New Tranny + Reasaling transfer case+ oil change....= hopefully not over $3000

Fingers crossed.......
    ratt_finkel
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    31 Mar 2011 10:10 AM
    David, the caddy dealer quoted me 3500 for a new tranny. You shouldnt be anywhere near that for a rebuild.
    ratt_finkel
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    David, the caddy dealer quoted me 3500 for a new tranny. You shouldnt be anywhere near that for a rebuild.
    ratt_finkel
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    ratt_finkel
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    Steve Hoelscher
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    31 Mar 2011 01:17 PM

Dave, as you may remember, I owned an Aamco Center for some time. I would go with the GM reman from a GM dealer. The transmission should be about $1600 to $1800 depending on the dealer. Then add installation labor. Transfer case reseal shouldn't be more than $200.

David Lehman
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    31 Mar 2011 04:16 PM
    Thanks Steve.

I guess Jeremy wanted to have me know about the Caddy dealer so he posted his response like 8 times.

I believe the transmission is new with a 100,000 warranty.

And while I still have a front diff leak (all time all wheel drive)...it has run fine for the last 18,000 miles. I just get the fluid checked with every service.

184,300 on the truck now....

Should I trust it to get me to Lincoln ? Engine has like 4300 hours on it and still seems to run fine 6.0 V-8.

David
    JBrettHowell

--
    31 Mar 2011 04:32 PM
    David Lehman wrote: ...Should I trust it to get me to Lincoln ? Engine has like 4300 hours on it and still seems to run fine 6.0 V-8....

I would not. In fact, I would start finding someone to drive your 911 out to Lincoln for you. Seeing as I am in Atlanta and on the way from your home to Lincoln, I will gladly offer to take possession of your car a couple weeks before Nats and see to it that the car is waiting for you when you arrive in Lincoln. Afterwards I will drive the car back to Atlanta and it should be ready for you to retake possession sometime before the beginning of the 2012 season. And seeing as you are one of SCCA's Elites, I will provide this preferential service to you at no cost. IM me and I'll send you my address so you know where to drop off the car and keys.

Kthxbai.

Bullitt2954
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    Steve Hoelscher
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    01 Apr 2011 01:46 PM
    David Lehman wrote:
    Thanks Steve.

I guess Jeremy wanted to have me know about the Caddy dealer so he posted his response like 8 times.

And while I still have a front diff leak (all time all wheel drive)...it has run fine for the last 18,000 miles. I just get the fluid checked with every service.

Should I trust it to get me to Lincoln ? Engine has like 4300 hours on it and still seems to run fine 6.0 V-8.

David

David, I doubt the transmission is "new". I never saw "new" transmissions available through the service or parts departments on anything but vehicles that were brand new models and thus no remans were in the system. The 4L60E is the number one transmission in the repair/reman industry. So its not like they are not plentiful as virtually every major remanufacturer has them. Not to mention that new would be about 3 to 4 times the cost of a reman.

And if the truck is well maintained, the mileage shouldn't be an issue. The van I tow with has nearly 310,000 miles on it. Probably 80+% of those are towing as that's pretty much all I use it for. I know the GM 6 liter in commercial trucks seem to be pretty durable so it should be fine in your truck.

JBrettHowell

--
    01 Apr 2011 03:56 PM
    Steve Hoelscher wrote:
    David Lehman wrote:
    Thanks Steve.

David

David, I doubt the transmission is "new". I never saw "new" transmissions available through the service or parts departments on anything but vehicles that were brand new models and thus no remans were in the system. The 4L60E is the number one transmission in the repair/reman industry. So its not like they are not plentiful as virtually every major remanufacturer has them. Not to mention that new would be about 3 to 4 times the cost of a reman.

And if the truck is well maintained, the mileage shouldn't be an issue. The van I tow with has nearly 310,000 miles on it. Probably 80+% of those are towing as that's pretty much all I use it for. I know the GM 6 liter in commercial trucks seem to be pretty durable so it should be fine in your truck.

(shut up Steve)

David, don't listen to him...he's a hack. ;)

You really need to make plans to get your car to Lincoln without towing it...my offer is still open.

:)

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner