211 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 1112345 > >>
Author Messages
Gunny JC

--
29 May 2009 10:50 AM
    I wrote a letter last Aug requesting to have the Saturn S-series cars moved from DSP to FSP. It was published in the Oct fastrack for membership comment along with a # of similar cars asking for the same move and then nothing...zip...nada since then. Each fastrack I eagerly look at hoping for some news only to find nothing. I recently sent another letter asking if it had fallen thru the cracks and was told it is still being discussed. Anyone hearing anything on this lately? I'd like to start getting a car & parts together as soon as poss for the build if it is going to happen.
    Gunny JC

--
    20 Jun 2009 03:12 PM
    Bump....Anyone??? Anything??? [*-)]
    EWCMR2
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    21 Jun 2009 04:24 PM
    Watch fastrack. I think you're wait is almost over...
    bmwguy325is

--
    21 Jun 2009 06:10 PM
    SAD!! The Bimmers cant play with Saturns anymore??? They better move the RX8 to DSP
    Gunny JC

--
    21 Jun 2009 06:56 PM
    bmwguy325is wrote:
    SAD!! The Bimmers cant play with Saturns anymore???
    That's exactly how it feels...like the Saturn is the mouse and the BMW's are the cats! [:$]
    Cobra

--
    22 Jun 2009 09:30 AM

Gunny JC wrote:
    bmwguy325is wrote:
    SAD!! The Bimmers cant play with Saturns anymore???
    That's exactly how it feels...like the Saturn is the mouse and the BMW's are the cats! [:$]

Truth. [:(]

I, too, have been waiting to see this come across the wire. I've been tossing around plans on building mine up from an ST car to play with the Neons in FSP.

Storm
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Jun 2009 08:36 AM

Neons are in FSP now?[:|]

I haven't seen any yet......just talk of an alien building a class-killer.......or was that STX.....or both......? [*-)]

IntrigueGX
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    02 Jul 2009 09:18 AM

The DOHC Storm and Isuzus need to be moved down before the DOHC Saturns and Neons do. I can't see any of these being much faster than the versions already in FSP (12V Isuzus, SC1, and 2000+ Neons). A 1995 Saturn SC1 with the DOHC motor would be pretty interesting if the S-series gets lumped together.

It looks like some Nissans models are currently listed in both classes (NX2000, Sentra SE-R)! (Edit: I see now there has been a correction posted.) The 200SX SE-R should have been moved before those two. Speaking of 90's hatches, where are the Mazda MX-3s classed in Street Prepared?

Gunny JC

--
    19 Jul 2009 05:39 PM
    Matthew wrote:

The DOHC Storm and Isuzus need to be moved down before the DOHC Saturns and Neons do. I can't see any of these being much faster than the versions already in FSP (12V Isuzus, SC1, and 2000+ Neons). A 1995 Saturn SC1 with the DOHC motor would be pretty interesting if the S-series gets lumped together.

Can't really see why one type of car should be moved before another. If they all fit the mold then move them all at once. With the almost complete lack of performance goodies out there for Saturns I can't really see them as a serious threat to the front runners in FSP at the higher levels of competition. The only benefit of a SC1 body over an SC2 body is a a weight savings of 76 lbs (2284 vs 2360) and it's really even less than that since the SC1 has no rear swaybar or rear disc brakes and most would add those items. For 50 lbs I really don't see anyone doing all the work to swap the engine, trans & rear sub-frame (quickest way to get rear swaybar and rear disc brakes) from an SC2 into a SC1. The DOHC engines don't have variable timing or anything crazy like that and are rated at 124 hp at the crank vs the SOHC engine's 100 hp at the crank.

Anyone hear anything on this yet? [*-)]

MugenSI

--
    19 Jul 2009 07:18 PM
    Storm wrote:

I haven't seen any yet......just talk of an alien building a class-killer.......or was that STX.....or both......? [*-)]

Yes, check the rule book - all NEON's are in fsp for 2009

sjrife
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    19 Jul 2009 07:33 PM
    Gunny JC wrote:
    Matthew wrote:

Can't really see why one type of car should be moved before another. If they all fit the mold then move them all at once. With the almost complete lack of performance goodies out there for Saturns I can't really see them as a serious threat to the front runners in FSP at the higher levels of competition. The only benefit of a SC1 body over an SC2 body is a a weight savings of 76 lbs (2284 vs 2360) and it's really even less than that since the SC1 has no rear swaybar or rear disc brakes and most would add those items. For 50 lbs I really don't see anyone doing all the work to swap the engine, trans & rear sub-frame (quickest way to get rear swaybar and rear disc brakes) from an SC2 into a SC1. The DOHC engines don't have variable timing or anything crazy like that and are rated at 124 hp at the crank vs the SOHC engine's 100 hp at the crank.

Anyone hear anything on this yet? [*-)]

You sure you'd want the disk brakes? The '89 Civic seems to do fine with drums.

Gunny JC

--
    20 Jul 2009 05:38 AM

sjrife wrote:
    You sure you'd want the disk brakes? The '89 Civic seems to do fine with drums.

The red car I used to have (you might remember it) originally had rear drums on it. Once I swapped over the rear disc brakes to it the braking was instantaneously better. The green car I have now came equipped with rear disc/ABS and I'm not planning on changing them out. [;)]

Storm
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20 Jul 2009 05:45 AM
    MugenSI wrote:
    Storm wrote:

Yes, check the rule book - all NEON's are in fsp for 2009

I forgot to use the tongue in cheek icon.... [;)]
    IntrigueGX
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    20 Jul 2009 06:31 AM

Gunny JC wrote:
    The only benefit of a SC1 body over an SC2 body is a a weight savings of 76 lbs (2284 vs 2360) and it's really even less than that since the SC1 has no rear swaybar or rear disc brakes and most would add those items.  For 50 lbs I really don't see anyone doing all the work to swap the engine, trans & rear sub-frame (quickest way to get rear swaybar and rear disc brakes) from an SC2 into a SC1.

I'd take any weight loss--especially at the front of the car. Are you really serious about FSP?

Of course, I am also happy to stay in H Stock--where I just need to get my engine running right again, and maybe re-grease my tension strut bushings. I'd start with a different car when I want to go faster.  The ST Geo/Isuzu might get there if I get time to tune it--a pothole ripped the sway bar bracket off the strut the other day--I probably had it set too stiff. :P

Gunny JC

--
    20 Jul 2009 01:23 PM
    Matthew wrote:

Gunny JC wrote:
    The only benefit of a SC1 body over an SC2 body is a a weight savings of 76 lbs (2284 vs 2360) and it's really even less than that since the SC1 has no rear swaybar or rear disc brakes and most would add those items. For 50 lbs I really don't see anyone doing all the work to swap the engine, trans & rear sub-frame (quickest way to get rear swaybar and rear disc brakes) from an SC2 into a SC1.

I'd take any weight loss--especially at the front of the car. Are you really serious about FSP?

Of course, I am also happy to stay in H Stock--where I just need to get my engine running right again, and maybe re-grease my tension strut bushings. I'd start with a different car when I want to go faster. The ST Geo/Isuzu might get there if I get time to tune it--a pothole ripped the sway bar bracket off the strut the other day--I probably had it set too stiff. :P

To tell the truth, reality has finally sunk in that the Saturn is not a competitive platform in ST, so I am just looking to go into a class that will be fun (i.e. R-comps and other performance goodies) and the car can be competitive at the local level. The car is not at all competitive in DSP and no one runs in that class here either. I am waiting on a decision to be made so I can decide what I car/class I am going to be in next year.

IntrigueGX
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    20 Jul 2009 04:18 PM

Gunny JC wrote:
    To tell the truth, reality has finally sunk in that the Saturn is not a competitive platform in ST, so I am just looking to go into a class that will be fun (i.e. R-comps and other performance goodies) and the car can be competitive at the local level.

The Saturns are competitive for H Stock. A few people are running ones in Prepared. They might be too fast for FSP. I would look for a different car.

Gunny JC

--
    20 Jul 2009 05:54 PM

I guess that depends on how you define competitive. At the local level I'd agree that the Saturn can be competitive in HS, but I just spent some time looking over National Tour results and I just don't see it. The Saturn that is running in EP was WAAAYYY off the lead....like over 13 seconds so that is not looking valid either. I really don't think the Saturn would be too fast for FSP....probably not fast enough actually. Looking at the current competitive cars in FSP I think it can be within knocking distance, but the Hondas, Dodges and Mazdas will be the cars to beat imo.

Gunny JC

--
    21 Jul 2009 05:57 PM
    Yet another FasTrack and still no decision. [:(] Guess you have to own a "premium brand" car (i.e. Honda, Mazda, Subaru, etc) to get any attention. Next month makes 1 year since I sent in my proposal.
    Gunny JC

--
    26 Aug 2009 10:11 AM
    Any word yet on the proposal to move the Saturn S-series to FSP? I keep hoping the decision will be made in time to be effective for the 2010 season if it does get moved. [H]
    bmwguy325is

--
    28 Aug 2009 09:18 PM
    I heard they were putting them in BSP and the 350Z was going to FSP.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 1112345 > >>

Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner