Street Survival?
 5 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Weasel Keeper

--
30 May 2009 12:14 AM

I was looking to see if there were any Street Survival schools in the Fort for this year and didn't see any. If I'm not mistaken there were one or two held near here last year.

My daughter just turned 16 and we got her a sweet "granny" car...97 BMW 318 for $2000. By "granny" I mean it was owned by a little ol' lady who took great care of it and decided it was time to sell it and get a new car. My daughter is still kinda scared to drive and I want to set her up in a Street Survival school to teach her a thing or two that they didn't teach her in driver's ed.

Is SB's Tire Rack the nearest I have to go?

*I should sign her up for a solo school...heh*

OneEyeMedia

--
    30 May 2009 01:10 AM
    Solo Schools and Racing FTW!!!<!--Session data-->
    Weasel Keeper

--
    30 May 2009 03:38 AM
    [:P]
    Mazda3

--
    30 May 2009 11:43 AM

Contact our local RE, Steve Kammeyer, he is planning on having 2 this fall. The schools are very good for teaching kids how to handle their car in different emergency situations. I have been the Field Marshal at all of the Fort Wayne events, and have seen this first hand. It gives them the skills and confidence to know what to do when it matters most.

KBroeker

--
    30 May 2009 12:24 PM

Jay-

Tom got me involved in Street Survival for the first time as a driving instructor at Tire Rack and I want to back up what he says. I also want to add that most kids are "volunteered" for the class by their parents and are not too enthusiastic. But, once they get into the driving exercises, they are totally into it. As you might expect, the girls are a bit less aggresive than the boys, but they can be coached into pushing the car to the limit.

When I started autocross, there was a guy who had his 16 year old daughter running to get her car control experience. I thought this was an awesome idea and when I met and married my wife, she agreed. This was before there was Street Survival, though. I think Street Survival is a better choice and if you daughter enjoys the adrenaline rush of pushing a car to its limits (and beyond), then take her to autocross. My girls are 6 and 8 years old, but they are already interested in my hobby. I do not know if they will continue to be interested until they are of driving age, but I hope they are.

My advice is to take you daughter to the first course you can. It looks like Tire Rack is hosting schools in June, July and August http://www.streetsurvival.org/schoo...edule.php. The Fort Wayne Region has great schools (I have never been in the classroom, but I understand that Pat McCamon does a great job), but I would not wait until the fall. South Bend is not that far away.

My $0.02....

bmonnin1
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 May 2009 04:26 PM

Jay

I agree with Kyle. I have instructed a couple of those schools and I was impressed how much the kids confidence increased and how much fun they had. I definitely would suggest that you take her to Tire Rack and do the course. After that if she enjoys it and would like to build up better driving skills you can always take her to some autocrosses and let her get some more practice. The driver training programs in the US are very good at teaching students the laws and and the basics about driving under normal conditions but almost completely ignore how to drive when conditions are not normal.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner