Toyhauler for a race car?
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Rocwandrer

--
11 Apr 2011 11:47 AM

I'm looking for a toyhauler to fit a sub 2000 lb 12' long race car. I'm thinking double axle 2-5/16 ball tag trailer around 6500 lb gvwr. Something light and bare bones (wet bath is the only significant "amenity" we want, and since we only need to sleep 3, it could be added to one without it). I'm posting here because I've basically given up looking for one on the net and through local dealers. I figure if such a think exists, somebody here has one or knows about it.

BigEnos
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    11 Apr 2011 01:49 PM
    Usually I see those big goosneck trailers with living quarters, rather than a toy hauler like the bike/atv guys use. I'm guessing you have seen them, too. Is price a big object? I'm sure PACE or one of the other biggies would build you exactly what you want.
    CSPBrain

--
    11 Apr 2011 05:00 PM

I work for an RV dealership up in Canada and we happen to sell these trailers - no affiliation to the company etc on my part. Ive been measuring up one of these units to see if I can fit a CSP Miata in it (I think I can). They are all aluminum - super light and won't rot or rust. They arent cheap - I dont know what the US pricing is on them, but I imagine the biggest fully loaded model would be under $30,000 - cheaper if you don't need all the toys or can go smaller. Sleeps 8, bathroom, fridge, AC, awning, etc.

http://www.livinlite.com/VRV-overview.php

impalanut
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 Apr 2011 11:24 PM
    I had a hard time finding the same thing. Finally found a 20 ft double axle with a double bed over the front of the car. Had toilet, sink, 3 way fridge, and stove. GVW 10k. I sold it recently but the guy who bought it now doesn't need it. If you have some interest I can give him your info. I hauled a 85 CRX. 13.5 ft from rear door to front bulkhead.
    S2kTas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    12 Apr 2011 12:14 PM

Something to consider with Toy Haulers - - most of these frames sit higher on top of the axles than a Car Hauler, which results in a steeper ramp to drive your car inside. Take careful measurements to be certain that your car will go over the top of the ramp without bottoming out.

Joe

snookwheel

--
    12 Apr 2011 08:05 PM

We have 24 ' Haulmark with a shower, AC, microwave, fridge, hot water, TV, generator etc. Plenty of room to comfortably spend a night or two (on airbed) and haul the car (SuperStalker) around. Very comfortable. it is a double axle 2-5/16 Tag setup. It works great and also a good place to store the car. When we spend the night we usually pull the car out and stick under the awning. It's not as fancy as some of the real 'Toy Haulers' out there, but a lot less expensive and very functionable. What ever you get... I highly recomend an awning. It makes it a lot more useful/enjoyable.

Here's looking back at the car area.

Not the Stalker, but you get the idea.

vreihen16

--
    15 Apr 2011 02:09 PM

From what I've read about construction techniques and materials used in the RV industry, I would do some serious homework before buying one of them. I have never owned one, but have heard lots of complaints about rotten wood, paper-thin roofs that need to be sealed every season, and even that you can't leave one parked outside in the elements from people who have owned them.

There has been an interesting movement among hard-core campers to buy cargo trailers or enclosed car haulers and converting them to campers or toy haulers by adding windows, furniture, etc. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and have basic woodworking tools/skills to do some interior design, you can probably build the ultimate in paddock palaces for half the price of what the RV industry would charge for a traditional toy hauler. Because the RV industry is struggling right now, there's several RV parts surplus shops offering low prices on the items you will need to do the conversion such as plumbing, storage tanks, windows, appliances, lighting, etc.

I bought a 24' Featherlite car hauler last fall, and am slowly following Snookwheel's lead above in making it into the perfect weekend office. The problem that I'm having is trying to figure out the perfect setup starting with a blank slate.....

You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner