Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cbailey
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
02 May 2011 04:52 PM
    Does anyone have experience with a shop that does repainting locally?

On the way back from Blytheville, I had an incident involving an idiot with a mattress tied poorly to the top of his car and another cranky old man in a minivan. Anyway, I clipped the front bumper, so I am wanting to see about addressing it. I got two estimates already, but they have very different attitudes about how to go about the repair. One is willing to realign the bumper as it sits, do a few dent repairs, and repaint the car. The other wanted to replace the whole bumper but also wanted boku bucks to repair the paint.

Having never done the repaint thing before, Maaco or otherwise, I don't know what to expect or ask for yet, so if anyone has helpful advice before I pursue this in earnest, it would be appreciated. I am willing to learn how to prep the surface myself if that's a better idea, but I'm not sure how much of a project that'll be at this point.

(Full disclosure: The damage is only cosmetic, so doing nothing is also an option if I can convince myself looks don't matter.)
    Windscreen

--
    02 May 2011 05:06 PM
    It all depends on how good you want it to look. In my experience, the cost and quality of the job are generally related. I'm really picky about matching and orange peel. Prestige Auto Works is the only place I've found that comes even close to my expectations of a quality job, but you'll pay for it.

At a minimum, take your car to PAW and get an estimate. If they want to do more work than you had in mind, tell them what you're thinking about, and see what they say. I've found the estimators at PAW to be very honest, and would hopefully work with you.

-Steve
    cashmo
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    02 May 2011 08:26 PM
    Steve, do you remember the paint condition on this car before said accident? The original red underneath has been slowly trying to break through ever since the Viper yellow was applied. I don't think it ever came close to your expectations. :)

Chris, try calling Tom Laiman (414- two, three, five -9851) in Hales Corners for 2 estimates, one for just the damaged areas and another for the whole car.

Jeff

Slates

--
    02 May 2011 08:37 PM

Hi Chris.

Agree with Wynveen on Prestige - excellent but very pricey. Call Yuri at Van Collision and Alteration, 9th and National, (414) 389-9999. He does good work and is quite reasonably priced. I had him fix a couple of self imposed crunches in one of my BMWs and my Si. I also had him paint a ton of wheels for me over the years.

Slater

cbailey
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 May 2011 09:35 PM
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try to get a few options before making a final decision, but it's good to get some recommendations. Much appreciated.

On a positive note, with some prodding and pulling, I have successfully gotten the headlight to raise and retract without interference. At this point, I'm calling that a success!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner