26 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Warren LeVeque

--
22 Jun 2009 06:23 AM

I have nothing but goood to say about the event. Every one was friendly and helpful. It was like a family reunion for me.

I loved the course design. It was at the top of 2nd gear everywhere for me--just like all autocrosses should be--I did try 3rd on one run---slower. . . I expecially liked the fast sweepers and the momenteum design. There were tight slaloms and a few tight turns just for the variety. It's a great place for an event. There was plenty of room on turn entry to choose the wrong line if you so desired--I did.

I was at first shocked by the unavoidable sand slickness, but somehow got used to it.

The heat was oppressive, but I'm a wimp. I noticed that our paddock Diva wasn't too tough either.

Thanks to Colleen I made it home (100 mi.) just in time for our family cookout.

Thanks everyone,

Warren LeVeque

EM Corvair roadster

wrheadle

--
    23 Jun 2009 03:40 AM

Warren-

Glad you liked the event and I, too, enjoyed seeing some out of town friends at a local event.

Cheers-

Bill

OneEyeMedia

--
    23 Jun 2009 06:04 AM

BRAVO, Bill and Scott on a AWESOME course!!!

Warren, thanks for making the trip...it was nice to talk with you.

GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    23 Jun 2009 06:32 AM

All was not peaches and cream.

It took about 35 minutes to get through the registration line. That's ridiculous!

(Edit: Ok, enough of that already....)

The entire event was late. IIRC, the drivers meeting was supposed to be at 10? It didn't happen until 10:30.

Other than that, it was good. The course was fun, lots of good competetion, great site!

srs007

--
    23 Jun 2009 08:05 AM

Wow, people are so spoiled these days. 10 years ago, I considered an event to be running pretty good if the drivers meeting was within an hour of the posted time. That included Indy region events... 8) We had twice as many entrants than normal and a huge number of weekend memberships being filled out. I have seen far worse lines at other events. We can always use more help at registration! 8)

The problem in tech is being looked in to. Please see other post.

As to your helmet, you should have already had it out for me to check it and all the other “stuff” should have been removed from your car before you came up to tech. And now your are mad at me!?!?! How about a little sympathy for a guy that is doing a thankless job?????? I guess they must do things a bit differently down in Indy…

Honestly, it’s amazing how many long time members show up to tech without their helmets and the vast majority of people don't have their helmets out for inspection. I have never had a complaint from anyone in 10 years until now. If you had a problem with me opening your helmet bag, you should have said something right then and there. I would have happily handed you the bag for you to pull it out. It would have saved me time and effort as I have to take my gloves off to keep from getting dirty on the bag and helmet.

Here’s some tips for getting in and out of tech in record time.

1. Clean your car out BEFORE coming up to tech. It’s no fun teching a car that is full of McDonald’s bags and other junk. Officially, we are not even suppose to tech a car until it is in race condition. Don’t worry if it’s getting late. If you have registered, I will tech your car even if tech has closed. Don’t forget to remove any wheel caps that cover the lug nuts. We have to see that they are all there.

2. Once you get up to tech, turn off your engine. It’s amazing how many times I have to ask this…

3. Get out of the car (another strange one I have to ask all the time from long time members. if it's a newbie, it's understandable. newbies are easy to spot because they either look confused or lost). We have to make sure the seat is secure and check seat harnesses if you are not using the factory seatbelt. We also have to push on the brake peddle to make sure there is sufficient back pressure.

4. Put up your hood and truck lids. Hold the hood up when an inspector gets to your car if it can’t stay up on it’s own.

5. Have your helmet out on top of the car or in one of the front seats if it’s a sunny day. If it has been sticker, have the sticker faced out so all the inspector has to do is give is a quick glance.

6. Don’t leave your car at anytime when your car is up at tech. An inspect might get to you car faster then you think. It’s very annoying and time consuming when the owner has to be tracked down to ask them a question like “are you using a loaner helmet today?” if they don’t have on in the car. If you are not with the car, you could also hold the line up when your car is passed.

If you do all the above, I will have you out of tech 45 sec. after I have gotten to your car.

Let the flaming begin… :)

GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    23 Jun 2009 08:37 AM

Whatever, Dude.

Regardless, I think you have demonstrated that you are not capable of doing tech. Time for someone else to have a turn at it.

srs007

--
    23 Jun 2009 09:17 AM

Wow, that was helpful! 8)

FYI, two of the three people working tech that day were not even running in the event. They just showed up to help because NO ONE wants to work in tech because it is hard work. I would be happy to go do an easilier work assignment. Oops, that is reality knocking on the door...see ya...

I am done with this thread...time to do something constructive like work on world peas (see, i know it's suppose to be peace, world peas is just funny... 8)...

cheerio,

steven

GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    23 Jun 2009 09:31 AM
    srs007 wrote:

Wow, that was helpful! 8)

FYI, two of the three people working tech that day were not even running in the event. They just showed up to help because NO ONE wants to work in tech because it is hard work. I would be happy to go do an easilier work assignment. Oops, that is reality knocking on the door...see ya...

If you are looking for me to answer every one of your little concerns, it's not going to happen. I've said enough. Time for me to stop "poking the bear".

Edit: BTW, Did I mention I really enjoyed the course. It was fun to drive. Nice site too. We'd love to have a site like that down here in Indy.

Oh, one other thing. If I do come back to a Ft. Wayne region event, I would be thrilled to work Tech instead of working course. I didn't know you guys were short on good volunteers to work tech or I would have requested that on my work assignment when registering. It sure beats standing on course for 2 hours shagging cones.

srs007

--
    23 Jun 2009 09:44 AM

>Oh, one other thing. If I do come back to a Ft. Wayne region event, I would
    >be thrilled to work Tech instead of working course. I didn't know you guys were
    >short on good volunteers to work tech or I would have requested that on my work
    >assignment when registering. It sure beats standing on course for 2 hours shagging cones.

cool

CSP137

--
    23 Jun 2009 10:17 AM

Steve makes some good points. This is a volenteer organization, and there are things that each of us can do to help things run smoother. When each of us saw registration was running amuck, any one of us could have jumped in to help. (my bad)

Having said that, we, as a club, should do everything we can to be as customer-friendly as possible, IMHO

Steve Mieritz

Squirrel Power![:D]

bmonnin1
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    23 Jun 2009 10:39 AM

I would also like to point out that to the best of my knowledge none of the people working in registration were running that day either.

I would also like to thank the people that stayed around to help clean up after the event. It was appreciated.

O6XRS

--
    23 Jun 2009 12:22 PM

Alot is being said about reg and tech! I can't speak for the tech situation but from where I sat, registration went fine! Yes it was a long line, but, it was open @ 7:30 due to the fact that the Coliseum is such a big event.

Just a few friendly pointers from ONE of TWO people who volunteered to do registration (and as Mr. Monnin pointed out DIDN'T run that day) for over 100 people:

1 Pre Register ! Saves alot of paper work the day of!

2 Buy a membership and save yourself $5-10 each time you run! And it saves alot of paper work the day of!

3 Bring exact change! It takes longer when you have to keep looking for 5's b/c people only pay in 20's!

4 Have your DL and Membership Card out BEFORE you get to the front of the line!

That being said, if you walked away from registration unhappy, it wasn't because I didn't smile, greet you by name, and tell you to have fun!

Melissa

mavisky

--
    23 Jun 2009 12:31 PM
    GChambers wrote:

Whatever, Dude.

Regardless, I think you have demonstrated that you are not capable of doing tech. Time for someone else to have a turn at it.

First off, I'm not a member of any SCCA region and my opinions may or may not reflect those of the Fort Wayne region. That being said.........

WTF?? Bob has a legitimate complaint, but honestly are you just looking for things to bitch about? I tell you what, next event you come to, let me know and I'll come hold your hand and make sure noone bothers your precious helmet bag before hand. Whiney people like you are half the reason I'm not even competing this year.

I mean seriously, if you don't like the way things are being done, don't bitch about it later. Get in there and do something about it. Line too long at registration? Register then ask if you can help. Line too long at tech, once you're teched in offer to help. I'm more than certain that noone's going to raise a fit if you help in those areas if they need it as opposed to shagging cones.

Having not been there that day I can almost guarantee you though that the issues with registration were 3-fold.
    1. Only about half of the participants pre-register - thank you if you did.
    2. The SCCA in it's grand wisdom decided to make everyone fill out a weekend membership card if not a member tripling the time spent at the table.
    3. With current fees being what they are, members who only run in the local region actually have to pay $5 more than non-members over the course of the year. Sure they get a cool magazine and some stickers, but that alone is keeping the average member from buying a membership which leads to more people in issue #2.

copterdr

--
    23 Jun 2009 12:34 PM

Steven,

Good post. I had no problem with tech and never had any at Fort Wayne. I feel you guys do a great job.

It sucks when people that know better, bring there car up to Tech unprepared.

And yes, we have failed cars for battery tie down issues at INR. We don't allow bungee cords either.

I know it's a thankless job but it is appreciated from most of us.

You guys did fail one of our members (damaged tire) but he took it in stride. He had a second car there that he co-drove.

I did walk thru tech when the battery issue happened, I felt the tech person conducted himself professionally under the abuse he was getting from the driver.

Thanks again. GREAT COURSE!!!!!

OneEyeMedia

--
    23 Jun 2009 12:41 PM
    O6XRS wrote:

Alot is being said about reg and tech! I can't speak for the tech situation but from where I sat, registration went fine! Yes it was a long line, but, it was open @ 7:30 due to the fact that the Coliseum is such a big event.

Just a few friendly pointers from ONE of TWO people who volunteered to do registration (and as Mr. Monnin pointed out DIDN'T run that day) for over 100 people:

1 Pre Register ! Saves alot of paper work the day of!

2 Buy a membership and save yourself $5-10 each time you run! And it saves alot of paper work the day of!

3 Bring exact change! It takes longer when you have to keep looking for 5's b/c people only pay in 20's!

4 Have your DL and Membership Card out BEFORE you get to the front of the line!

That being said, if you walked away from registration unhappy, it wasn't because I didn't smile, greet you by name, and tell you to have fun!

Melissa

Melissa, I enjoyed your smile!!! Thanks for telling me to have fun.

Unfortunately, this event was not marketed well for pre-reg, like most of the local events...marketing people to pre reg can always help the lines move faster. My comment about not marketing the event well, I spoke with a couple previous FWR memebers and they had no clue of the event...weird! Everyone needs to know of this event and to pre reg. Honestly though, the SCCA has really f'ed it up having non memebers weather you drive or not sign all these papers now. We live in a world of electronics, but yet we still continue to make people fill out house notes to enjoy a simple fun event. THis only make the volunteer position in reg dept harder in my opinion.

I know I saw Chris doing his part with waivers early on going through the line to help and with Melissa just coming of surgeory and Mrs. Russell always coming out doing this position and never racing and knowledgable enough to answer almost any question in line, I think you ALL did a HARD CORE job there!

Bobzilla
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    23 Jun 2009 12:52 PM
    copterdr wrote:

I did walk thru tech when the battery issue happened, I felt the tech person conducted himself professionally under the abuse he was getting from the driver.

I tell you what, let me rip something off your car rendering it immobile 2 hours from home after you've never had a problem and see exactly what YOU would do. Fair enough? Then, instead of apologizing ot offering to help give you a smirk and "I told you so". I bet you would be all happy happy smile smile wouldn't you?

srs007

--
    23 Jun 2009 01:06 PM

oops, i forgot to mention in my big rant that I will be asking people to get their helmets out from now on. after thinking about it, i realized there could be some scary stuff in them. it will save me time anyway...

thanx,

srs

GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    23 Jun 2009 01:23 PM

mavisky wrote:

Blah, blah, blah......

Having not been there that day .....

Blah, blah, blah......

Ummm, yea...

BTW, did I mention that I had a good time? Also, did I mention that the course was a lot of fun? I enjoyed driving it. Sure wish we had a site like that here in Indy. It was really nice having access to the bathrooms and all. Good to see all my Ft. Wayne friends too. Oh, now that you mention it, the girs in registration were great. Very nice and with a smile. Just overworked though.

Edit: Like I said, if I come back to a Ft. Wayne event and you guys need someone to work Tech, I'd be happy to do it. I'll just get there early and bring my gloves. You may want to notify me before hand so that I can plan accordingly.

GChambers
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    23 Jun 2009 01:40 PM

JPMRacing26 wrote:

Unfortunately, this event was not marketed well for pre-reg, like most of the local events...marketing people to pre reg can always help the lines move faster. My comment about not marketing the event well, I spoke with a couple previous FWR memebers and they had no clue of the event...weird! Everyone needs to know of this event and to pre reg.

Jason, you bring up an excellent point. If it were not for Steve Kammeyer not telling me about this event at one of your earlier events, I wouldn't have even known about it. Last year, when Chuck and Travis were involved, I saw it posted EVERYWHERE. I remember hearing about the event announced in drivers meetings at every other regions events(Including Indy) for a full month before hand. I would have been there last year except I had a previous commitment.

BTW, I really enjoyed the course. It was fast and fun. Challenging too. The girls in registration were very nice. Boy, Indy would love to have a site like that available to us. You guys are lucky. Take good care of that one. It was huge. Gave you a lot of room for a comfortable paddock and a great course. It was good to see my Ft. Wayne friends again. It's always good to see you guys and fun to run with you.

KBroeker

--
    23 Jun 2009 02:55 PM

Well, of course I have received some PM/Email about the battery incident due to my post above. I was going to suggest that if there were witnesses besides the directly affected parties (Bob Hyundai and the Techs), that they send an email directly to our Regional Exectutive (Steve Kammeyer: stevekammeyer@excite.net), our Solo Director (Rainer Helmchen: FWSolo09@AOL.com), and our Board Member at Large (Bill Headlee: wrheadle@verizon.net). While I appreciate Mr. Laks observations, it just inflames Mr. Zilla more.

The Coliseum. It would be awesome to run there all the time. If you think the $4 parking and Coliseum imposed food vendor were r*ping you, you should see what it costs to just rent the place. Last year, Chuck, Travis and his traveling road show (AKA "Team Awesome Sauce" - see Chuck, I can show a little respect from time to time) were organizing the event and did a great job promoting it in other regions as well as running the event. I believe we did not have quite the number of entrants this year as last (but I bet it was close; Melissa, do you know the final count?), but I think the club might have learned a little about some of the "hidden costs" at the Coliseum from last year and I hope we still broke even on the event. Last year we also had both TV and print media coverage which gave us some nice PR. While I saw a TV camera from CBS15 out there early this year, I was not around for the news to see if it aired. And I know we pushed up our normal schedule (as Melissa pointed out) to try to get the event off early enough so that the people that came in several hours from out of town could get home at a reasonable hour.

FWR may not be as big as some other regions, but those that are actively involved in the planning and running of the events are doing a pretty good job. But, we are all human, so sometimes mistakes happen and things do not go as smoothly as everyone might like. To me, it is how I react to the mistakes I make or what I might think of as shortcomings in my fellow Autocrossers that can ruin my day, if I choose to let it.

I appreciate that Warren (always a class act IMHO) started this thread off in a positive tone. I am sorry that an issue brought up in a seperate thread derailed the tone that Warren set out with.

Personally, I had a co-drive (offered while un-asked for) in a fairly powerful car that I had never driven with a pretty cool car owner and a beautiful Father's Day. I agree with what many have said, that the course was fun (Bill & Scott, if there was redemption needed for last year, you earned it).

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner