21 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
balaguru

--
24 Jun 2009 07:41 AM

Search hasn't seemed to work for the last few days.

If the cash for clunkers bill passes I'm considering jumping off the fence and trading in my 88 C1500 for a midsize SUV that can tow a 3500 lbs car in an enclosed trailer. I'm considering a new AWD explorer with tow package. It's rated at around 7200 lbs. I'm also considering a Kia Borrego 4x4. It has some impressive numbers and can tow around 7500 lbs. Any thoughts? Should I be looking at some other vehicles? My price cap is 35K.

Stan Whitney

--
    24 Jun 2009 09:43 AM

Considering any enclosed trailer capable of holding the car will weigh over 3000lbs, neither tow vehicle option would really be acceptable. Even the 3/4 ton trucks don't have any excess power when pulling enclosed trailers with heavy cars. Not to mention the stability concerns as your trailer weight exceeds your tow vehicle weight.

At your price cap, consider some nearly new (1-2yr old) 1/2 -3/4 ton trucks, or a used Excrusion. The crew cab trucks do a pretty nice job of filling in for an SUV unless you need to transport a herd. Diesels really have good pulling power and fuel mileage in most cases.

Joe_914
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Jun 2009 09:45 AM

Unless the Explorer has changed a lot, I say Nay to that. Explorer is based off Ranger little truck.

35K ???? why not a newer diesel. 3/4 ton.

Dave Hardy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Jun 2009 10:15 AM
    An explorer is not big enough for car duty, and certainly not an enclosed.
    balaguru

--
    24 Jun 2009 10:34 AM
    I was thinking of a trailer setup like teamrx8's. I seem to remember him saying it weighed around 1500 lbs. The reason for an SUV over truck is the wife preference. Would love to buy slightly used. Depends on the language of the final bill, though. A crew cab is a possibility and would give me many more choices. Will see how the wife feels about that. Thanks.
    Outlaw26

--
    25 Jun 2009 12:27 AM

Joe, New 3/4 diesel? Heck thats like $50,000.

OP, depending on the weight of the enclosed trailer, if it +3500 car + extra tools fits within the limit of your explorer or Kia or whatever, it's certainly doable. There's no need to tow at 90mph in a 30 knot crosswind across the continental divide road raging an Impala SS that cut you off ten miles ago. Plenty of vehicles less than 3/4ton dually diesel are adequate to tow around with if you take it easy and don't feel the need to stoplight race everything you find in traffic. The key is to take it easy, drive a truck and trailer like a truck and trailer, not a passenger car.

balaguru

--
    25 Jun 2009 07:23 AM

Hehe. Well put. This is sort of what I was thinking when I proposed this. In this letigious society it seemed that Ford wouldn't advertise a 7200 lbs toe capacity if it weren't reasonably safe to toe that much. But as I have no experience in this area I thought I'd get the opinions of others.

Outlaw26 wrote:

Joe, New 3/4 diesel? Heck thats like $50,000.

OP, depending on the weight of the enclosed trailer, if it +3500 car + extra tools fits within the limit of your explorer or Kia or whatever, it's certainly doable. There's no need to tow at 90mph in a 30 knot crosswind across the continental divide road raging an Impala SS that cut you off ten miles ago. Plenty of vehicles less than 3/4ton dually diesel are adequate to tow around with if you take it easy and don't feel the need to stoplight race everything you find in traffic. The key is to take it easy, drive a truck and trailer like a truck and trailer, not a passenger car.

wrchas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Jun 2009 08:18 AM
    A friend of mine recently towed a Miata on an aluminum open trailer with his Explorer. He said he's never doing that again.
    wrvwgti

--
    25 Jun 2009 09:21 AM

3/4 Ton truck or bigger is what you need.

wally@trailerworld.com

Stan Whitney

--
    25 Jun 2009 09:46 AM

balaguru wrote:
    I was thinking of a trailer setup like teamrx8's. I seem to remember him saying it weighed around 1500 lbs. The reason for an SUV over truck is the wife preference. Would love to buy slightly used. Depends on the language of the final bill, though. A crew cab is a possibility and would give me many more choices. Will see how the wife feels about that. Thanks.

I suspect you may pay dearly for the lighter weight trailer, so just depends on where you want the $$ tied up, in the truck or trailer. Based on personal experience, here is what has worked for me over the years:

Light car (2000lbs or less) on light (1000lbs or less) open trailer trailer -> Explorer, Durango -> very nice combos.

Heavy car (3000lbs) on 1700lb open trialer -> Durango -> not great, power, cooling , and stability in short supply.

Heavy car (3000lbs) on 1700lb open trialer -> Excursion diesel -> Very good. I do think most any current 1/2ton truck with the larger engine options/tow packages would do this very well.

Race car (2600lbs) in 20ft enclosed trailer (at least 3000lbs) -> Excursion diesel -> good, but working noticeably harder against the aero drag of the enclosed trailer, and weight. By now the truck was tuned up to around 700ft/lbs of torque.

Heavy car (3000lbs) in 20ft enclosed trailer (at least 3000lbs) -> F250 diesel - > good, but working hard, even with 650-700 ft/lbs of torque.

You cannot underestimate the aero drag. Even if you only want to tow 65mph, how often do we have 20mph winds around here! Doing it all over again, given today's fuel climate, I would suggest 1/2ton truck or SUV, simple open trailer. It will be the easiest to maneuver, store etc. The enclosed is nice at the track, but a pain the rest of the time.

Forgot to add, a crew cab with a camper shell is the best combination. I've had SUV's for a long time, and always had the noises, smells, and clutter of the track gear inside the cab with me. With it all in the bed now, the cab is nice and serene :)

Cr0usEEE
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Jun 2009 10:47 AM

I have been towing my ESP camaro all year long now with a 2008 Tundra Extended Cab (5.7L 4x4) on an open trailer...and with the current crop of "1/2-ton" trucks I believe anything will do assuming an open trailer.

I tow easy at 75 mph all day long up hills or down...worst miliage I have gotten was going 75mph on I-68 to the DC pro and that was 12.1 mpg...everywhere else I am getting 14 with the trailer behind me. (Only mod is a magnaflow exhaust which did help fuel consumption).

The latest half-ton transmissions with tow packages (tranny coolers FTW) should have no issues towing any open trailer/car combo you throw at it.

Joe_914
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    25 Jun 2009 01:20 PM

Just when Diesel prices dropped lower than Unleaded the number of 2001 to 2003 F250 Super crews have dwindled. the ones still for sale have gone from 10K to now 18K.

I have a F150 W/4.6L with 2000 pound car and 2000 pound steel brute of a trailer. 13 MPG and I cruise 70 MPH rarely 75. Air bags in the rear axle are the best thing I ever put on the truck. Edge tuner next best. Bed cap is on the list as well as headers.

REALLY WANT A DIESEL.

jdchristianson
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Jun 2009 05:21 AM

Don't get your hopes up too high for the clunker bill actually helping you out. The new vehicle has to get at least 18mpg combined city and hwy. That takes out virtually all SUV's and Trucks that will tow what you want to tow. You might look at the Chevy Traverse, GMC Acadia. They are rated 24mpg hwy and have a 5200lb tow rating. Check http://www.cars.gov , its the offical website for the clunker bill.

The best bet $ wise is going to be selling your truck and buying a 1/2 truck, Suburban, or Expedition used. I like long wheel bases for towing, it helps stability. (harder for the tail to wag the dog) The money you save buying a bigger used tow vehicle will buy a bunch of fuel.

Happy towing

Jeff Christianson

Joe_914
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Jun 2009 08:45 AM

Cars act is stupid.

Scap my 99 F150 for a new POS and all they give me for my truck is scrap value? Better to run it into a brick wall and collect insuance.

Not to get intoa political debate but OMG what stupidity are we going to come up with next.

atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Jun 2009 09:41 AM
    Joe_914 wrote:

Cars act is stupid.

Scap my 99 F150 for a new POS and all they give me for my truck is scrap value? Better to run it into a brick wall and collect insuance.

Not to get intoa political debate but OMG what stupidity are we going to come up with next.

Not so stupid, because it's more for the really old clunkers, like that 1975 LTD you're mom-in-law drives to church. She can get a Fusion that gets at least twice the mpg and runs a lot cleaner. The $$ she gets for that LTD is a nice down-payment.

moxnix
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Jun 2009 10:04 AM
    atcovan wrote:

Not so stupid, because it's more for the really old clunkers, like that 1975 LTD you're mom-in-law drives to church. She can get a Fusion that gets at least twice the mpg and runs a lot cleaner. The $$ she gets for that LTD is a nice down-payment.

The 1975 LTD is not covered under this.

http://www.cars.gov/faq.html#question-05

Your trade-in vehicle must

• have been manufactured less than 25 years before the date you trade it in

But my 1990 ford ranger would be....

Chiketkd

--
    29 Jun 2009 11:21 AM

moxnix wrote:

Oh the possibilities... [H]

Edit: The '91 Turbo Volvo wagon I bought my daughter is eligible as well. Hmmm....

atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Jun 2009 11:54 AM
    moxnix wrote:
    atcovan wrote:

The 1975 LTD is not covered under this.

• have been manufactured less than 25 years before the date you trade it in

Oops... my bad. Change that to 1986 4-cylinder Taurus. Not like there are that many '75 LTD's out there, so it really should be on the inclusion list.
    moxnix
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Jun 2009 12:56 PM
    atcovan wrote:
    Oops... my bad. Change that to 1986 4-cylinder Taurus. Not like there are that many '75 LTD's out there, so it really should be on the inclusion list.

Taurus gets better gas mileage then the lower limit (1986 4 cyl auto gets 20 combined)

No inclusion list this is more like solo ST classes. They give a listing of criteria and any that meet those are eligible for trade-in.

• have a "new" combined city/highway fuel economy of 18 miles per gallon or less
    moxnix
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Jun 2009 01:09 PM
    Chiketkd wrote:

moxnix wrote:

Oh the possibilities... [H]

Edit: The '91 Turbo Volvo wagon I bought my daughter is eligible as well. Hmmm....

Needs to get 28+ combined MPG for me to get the full credit for a car or 23+ for a truck. I am looking a little bit at it but it would need to be something either real cheap or a real good car. (damn you Ford Fiesta/Mazda 2 for not being out yet)

Have you had that for the year needed already?

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner