Towing with a Cayenne Turbo
 7 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
klie5111

--
22 May 2011 07:07 PM

Anyone currently towing their race cars with a Cayenne turbo? Pros/Cons?

Looking to pull a 3200lb car with a (hopefully) very light trailer (1k or so). Some mountain passes.

BigEnos
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    23 May 2011 03:43 PM
    I have no experience, but I would think the obstacle would be the wheel/tire package and its ability to handle the extra load. Power certainly won't be an issue! What is the manufacturer rating?
    klie5111

--
    23 May 2011 03:55 PM
    I think it's at 7,700 lbs. Not sure on tounge weight
    TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    24 May 2011 01:46 AM
    try a Panamera instead :p

ps: I hate you, lol
    jzr
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    24 May 2011 02:49 AM
    Radomin towed a big enclosed trailer with one from Florida to Nats last year. I hear mileage wasn't so good, but everything else was fine...until he almost wrecked it upon entering the paddock, from the OPR people's shoes had drug onto the path.

Luv ya Rad ;-)
    JBrettHowell

--
    24 May 2011 10:55 AM

Towed with a Cayenne S for a couple years, and it was great. The Porsche trailer harness ties into the trucks systems and you get notifications about trailer light status and such through the truck's display (only source I could find for the harness and hitch was the stealership, so bring your own KY). The one downside I found was the truck does not handle LED trailer lights well...not enough resistance for the truck to recognize that the lights are not burnt out?

The self-leveling suspension was awesome, and my little rig behind the truck was no issue at all (FSP Civic on a light, single-axle open trailer).

Only new factor for you is the turbo - more power will not be anything but a plus. Not sure if there is anything else on which you need to keep an eye.

BigEnos
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 May 2011 11:07 AM
    On a related note I think a Toureg or Q7 TDI would be a great tow vehicle that would get excellent mileage as a daily driver, too. Related because I think they share some chassis components.
    NJGT3
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 May 2011 05:35 PM
    Best Tow vehicle ever. A little thirsty in town, but that's fine for an almost 500Hp Twin Turbo AWD V8 SUV. There is an adapter from VW that allows the use of trailers with LEDs lights. I have two of them.

Pros:
    - Air suspension, no need for weight distribution hitch. You have 5 ride heights.
    - Massive Power.
    - Great stereo, good navigation, leather and alcantara everywhere, great dashboard, 6-speed transmission shifts quickly, AWD, 3 suspension settings, sport car handling, massive brakes (997 GT3 brakes).
    - The 2011 is almost 500 lbs lighter and it has 500Hp, with PCCB and Torque vectoring it must be seriously fast.
    - Patrick Long has one as a daily driver.
    - Large variety of tires available. 315/30R19 A6 fits on the 19x9 stock wheels.
    - Immune to OPR.

Cons:
    - Currently in the stock exclusion list. It would be a great A-stock car, especially at ProSolos, too fast for H-Stock and G-stock, so the next slowest class is A-stock. It outruns my Cayman S in the 1/8 mile consistently. It outruns any C5 Vette (non-Z06) in the 1/8 mile as well.
    - AWD, so that might create problems in a stock class dominated by non-AWD cars. It would dominate A-stock in the rain and ProSolos, and stock class drivers hate competitors on AWD.
    - Too expensive for a stock class. Brand new price exceeds $100,000, and some autocrossers might think it is unfair to allow an expensive car kill A-stock, or even enter a stock class despite of not being competitive.
    - Understeers at the limits even with PSM/off, but if the allowance to add a rear sway bars gets approved for stock classes, and this car gets classed in A-stock, it would definitely dominate wet or dry.
    - If you win at Nationals in A-stock with a Cayenne Turbo (or any other car for that matter), you won't be a National Champion, you'll be named a National winner, WINNING !!!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner