Sunoco 468x60 Banner
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 03 Jul 2009 09:08 PM by  KBroeker
What would you do? 2004 Elantra Engine...
 15 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
OneEyeMedia

--
29 Jun 2009 09:51 AM
    OK, what would you do?

2004 Elantra, 64k miles on it - manual trans mission.

The engine has had an annoying ticking sound for the past month. I have done several methods and tips from racer friends and forum friends. From what I have discovered, it has not changed the out come and from what I think, the sound is getting worse to where it almost sounds like a knock. But I have not had it taken to a pro for their advise...$75-$95 hour is rather expensive for my taste.

1. buy an used engine and install it myself with friends (if they come)
    2. buy new engine, with same above install
    3. run it till it explodes
    4. making $225 month payment on it, have 6k left on loan...would not get more than 1l probably, since it is outfitted for racing. Take and trade it in for something else (wont have a $225 payment though!)
    5. attach TNT to the car
    6. higher stripper and take it on a rally course
    7. the above one wont happen

so, yeah...probably a stupid thread...but I was looking for ideas.

What I have tried:
    1. oil cleaner kit
    2. two more oil changes
    3. pulled valve cover and check bolt tightness on cams and other seen bolts
    4. sprayed cleaner on cams and springs, etc seen parts with valve cover off
    5. new spark plugs
    6. get back to you if I can remember more

Thanks for your help in advance,
    Jason

<!--Session data-->
    OneEyeMedia

--
    29 Jun 2009 11:34 AM
    Here is the deal: i think it might have been an oil pump... not sure.... but, on the way back from lunch, i lost oil pressure and car was ticking/knocking like a some *****, so i turn it around and barely pull it back to the drive way. I was trying to coast most of the way back and one time I had the clutch in, the car died, so I pop it into second to start it back up again and limp it home. maybe I have a bad oil pump? who knows... I think I am planning on sell my body for sex................... Will update more tonight and through the week.
    bmonnin1
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    29 Jun 2009 11:45 AM
    Definitely sounds like the oil pump was going bad. Unfortunately sounds like a lot more is bad now. Probably should have shut it down immediately when you lost oil pressure and had it towed back home. Chances are you will have to rebuild or replace the engine now.
    KBroeker

--
    30 Jun 2009 06:39 AM
    Three simple words....Small Block Chevy...'nuf said
    OneEyeMedia

--
    30 Jun 2009 09:44 AM

KBroeker wrote:

I plan the project (when I have money) for the Benz, I have been itching to put a small block in the Benz...would be so bad ass...

Rely to Bart:

Yea, I really should have... Now I really get to have fun. Betty would rather see the car just get repo'd! LMAO :P

wrheadle

--
    30 Jun 2009 09:56 AM

KBroeker wrote:

Ahem... Small Block FORD! [:D]

mavisky

--
    30 Jun 2009 10:34 AM
    JPMRacing26 wrote:
    But I have not had it taken to a pro for their advise...$75-$95 hour is rather expensive for my taste.

[quote]What I have tried:
    1. oil cleaner kit
    2. two more oil changes
    3. pulled valve cover and check bolt tightness on cams and other seen bolts
    4. sprayed cleaner on cams and springs, etc seen parts with valve cover off
    5. new spark plugs

Jason, trust me there's nothing I'd rather see more than you fix this on your own without giving the dealership one penny, but let's take a look at things here.

Most of your options are going to cost you near on a thousand dollars or so to fix the solution, by my count you've already spent more than the $80 dollar 1 hour diagnostic fee that the dealership would charge you and you've really not gotten anywhere. Sometimes we reach the end of what we as mechanics and car guys know and it's time to turn it over to the pros. For all you know it may be something trivial and not a concern at all, but if it is something dire you can find out directly from them what the exact problem is. They have tools that you just don't have available and what they can diagnose in that $80 may save you another $160 in trial and error.

Trust me, I'm at that point with my truck right now. I can do all the work, but I'll be damned if I have the proper scan tools and electronic information to figure out why my air suspension compressor is kicking on but not properly inflating the airbags.

KBroeker

--
    30 Jun 2009 11:00 AM
    wrheadle wrote:

Ahem... Small Block FORD! [:D]

You're right. The Ford's do sound better. Even the modular 4.6L I had in my '97 Mustang Cobra (32V) sounded pretty cool with the MagnaFlows on it. Bow-Tie guys, let the flaming begin...

CSP137

--
    02 Jul 2009 11:34 AM

Bro,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. That's a sickening sound.

Unfortunately, I think Kyle is right about parking it immediately if the oil light comes on. If you're a quart low, then you can limp it to the store, but other than that it's serious.

From my experience, a tick is usually lifters and a knock is usually rod bearings, and fits with losing oil pressure.

You can try to locate the source with a automobile stethescope (or a number of 38" extensions will work in a pinch). But I'd probably spend the $80 and get it checked out by someone you trust before making a large financial commitment in any direction.

Steve

OneEyeMedia

--
    02 Jul 2009 12:47 PM

Well, I plan to get the rest of the garage opened up this weekend, pull the car in there and drop the oil open to see if there is any metal shavings. Crossing fingers...but in any case, I will work something out to save up and get it fixed.

Also, as for running it with no oil, this was not done, from what I know. Engine temps ran normal. Once I heard the ticking get louder and the oil lamp kicked on, I u turned it right away and limped it back the 1/4 mile back to the house. I pretty much wanted to get it home with as much care as I could.

I will update this weekend.

KBroeker

--
    02 Jul 2009 02:46 PM

Jason-

One thing you can do right now is to check the oil on the dipstick for metallic particles.

OneEyeMedia

--
    02 Jul 2009 04:39 PM
    KBroeker wrote:

Jason-

One thing you can do right now is to check the oil on the dipstick for metallic particles.

Yeah! Very true Sir, now why I did not think of that? LMAO!
    smitch

--
    03 Jul 2009 05:38 AM

Thats thinking with your dipstick Jimmy. Who would of ever thought of that?

bmonnin1
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Jul 2009 06:46 PM
    JPMRacing26 wrote:

Well, I plan to get the rest of the garage opened up this weekend, pull the car in there and drop the oil open to see if there is any metal shavings. Crossing fingers...but in any case, I will work something out to save up and get it fixed.

Also, as for running it with no oil, this was not done, from what I know. Engine temps ran normal. Once I heard the ticking get louder and the oil lamp kicked on, I u turned it right away and limped it back the 1/4 mile back to the house. I pretty much wanted to get it home with as much care as I could.

I will update this weekend.

If you do pull the oil pan I would also take a very good look at your crank and rod bearings. If you didn't have any oil pressure there is a good chance you tore up or spun some of the bearings. If you spun a bearing it should be easy to see, the split on the bearings won't line up with the split on the crank mains or the rods. May want to also look at the cylinder walls to see if you can see any unusual gaulding.

Oh and by the way if you have no oil pressure it is pretty much the same as running with no oil. In a properly filled oil pan the oil should be below the level of the crank (at least that is the way I remember it) so without oil pressure you are getting absolutely no benefit from the oil that is in the pan.

OneEyeMedia

--
    03 Jul 2009 07:14 PM

Yea, I am guessing I had no oil pressure, because the oil light came on the dash and was flickering...my thought it was complain of not having oil.

I will post photos soon of the carnage :P YEAH!!!

Chris, thanks for the dip stick comment. I do not pay for tv and when I was at the BnB today, I saw the oil commercial where this Scottish guy is whipping guys with his dip stick! LMFAO!!! :P

KBroeker

--
    03 Jul 2009 09:08 PM
    smitch wrote:

Thats thinking with your dipstick Jimmy. Who would of ever thought of that?

By the way, this dipstick tip was passed on to me by Mr. Smith a few weeks ago WRT my issues with the Subie. I just had to give credit where it was due and I am sorry I did not in the initital post.

I am still in anlysis phase with my issue. I got the coolant pressure tester last week to check for coolant leaks (depending on what happens, could show header gasket leaks to the outside, header gasket leaks to the inside or any other coolant leaks), but ran out of time at the right time for my "shade tree" mechanicing in the back yard of my rental in Richmond to use it. Had wanted to haul the Subie back to Richmond for this weekend, but it was not in the cards. Should have it back next weekend.

I may have the same issue, Jason, but I am still investigating. I have a few people giving me tips and you can call me if you like. But, I am learning as well, so these other guys should be more helpful.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner