26 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Itsa914

--
20 Jun 2011 10:45 PM

All of you know I have a sickness when it comes to my 914. So if one is good then two is better right? I picked up a Red 74 a few months back with the plan to return it back to stock. When done it will be pretty much a stock 2.0L FI Porsche 914 with AC that I can use as my sunny day 3 seasons driver. So as budget and time allows I will be updating this thread with my progress. My goal is to have it back on the road by fall of 2012.

Once done then I will turn my attention to my orange 1970 914 (that I run in DSP for those who don't know) with a 3.0 /6, flared fenders, 5 lug 911 suspension, built to run in SSM.

So here is the 74 project car.

Itsa914

--
    20 Jun 2011 10:47 PM

It is a solid car with the usual rusted jack posts and lower longitude areas as you can see in these pictures. First the driver side pics:

Here is the passenger side jack post & longitude with a hole in the door jamb also.

Itsa914

--
    20 Jun 2011 11:00 PM

I started cleaning up the passenegr side floor pan. So far so good. That is as far as I have gotten so far. Last week I took the car down to my friend Brad Mayeur of 914 LTD in Peoria IL to have the rust repair done. While I can weld, I know my limits and since Brad's shop does this type of repair all the time why not take it to a pro. Here is the passenger side floor pan I started on. I still need to finish cleaning it up, but you can see it is solid.

Itsa914

--
    20 Jun 2011 11:07 PM

So if you are going to have a project car you must have a donor car also. :-) So here is my donor. It's a running 74 with a good stock 2.0L engine and side shift transmission. There are other parts I will need from the donor, which from now on will be called UghMo, when the time comes I will part him out.

I got insurance & temp plates for UghMo last week so I can drive him around the neighborhood with out worry of tickets.

Here's UghMo :

STX Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    21 Jun 2011 08:27 AM

rosejm
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    21 Jun 2011 09:57 AM
    You sir, have a disease.

I'm not sure if there's a cure but the symptoms sure seem expensive!
    BlackCavalier52
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    21 Jun 2011 01:25 PM
    I'm just curious as to why you didn't choose to build off of 'UghMo' since the red one looks a bit rough.
    Bullitt2954
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    21 Jun 2011 02:18 PM
    BlackCavalier52 wrote:
    I'm just curious as to why you didn't choose to build off of 'UghMo' since the red one looks a bit rough.

Where'd be all the Fun in THAT? ;)

christoc
    I'm an Admin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    21 Jun 2011 02:28 PM
    BlackCavalier52 wrote:

Ditto. My definition of "solid" wouldn't include all those rust holes :D
    JBrettHowell

--
    21 Jun 2011 02:34 PM
    Chris Hammond wrote:
    BlackCavalier52 wrote:

Ditto. My definition of "solid" wouldn't include all those rust holes :D

It's a 914...those so-called "rust holes" are actually referred to as "character lines" in that community.

STX Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    21 Jun 2011 02:41 PM
    it'll buff out
    DaveSB

--
    21 Jun 2011 04:47 PM
    naval jelly may dissolve half your car, haha
    Itsa914

--
    22 Jun 2011 12:29 AM
    BlackCavalier52 wrote:

Because UghMo is a very rusted car compared to the red one. Other than the jack post areas on Red everything else is solid, floors, trunk floors, suspension points , sail panels, you get the idea. The body is just surface rust. There isn't an area on UghMo that doesn't have a major rust problem. While I can drive UghMo, I can take no passengers. The floor is almost gone on that side.

maxiblu

--
    22 Jun 2011 09:36 PM
    I'm sure your neighbors are used to your sickness by now and have the tow truck on speed dial. If Ugmo is as bad as you say you don't have to worry about getting lost. Just follow the rust trail home. Seriously tho good luck and call if you need some help on the mechanics part. I have retired on the body work part(just gave up really).
    Itsa914

--
    03 Aug 2011 05:03 PM

Update time. The rust repair is done (woohoo). I will bring Red home some time in August and start on sanding the body down and preping for paint. Plan is to have it painted by next spring then I can work on the suspension, brakes, install motor & trans from UghMo, glass, install interior and then hopefully have it driving by fall 2012.

Here are some repair work. Please note I still need to dress some welds and and seame sealer, but the major rust repair is done.

Battery Tray

Itsa914

--
    03 Aug 2011 05:06 PM

Here are a few of the passenger side door jamb area

Cut a patch from a donor car

Patch installed!

STX Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Aug 2011 05:07 PM
    Media Blast Time!
    Itsa914

--
    03 Aug 2011 05:09 PM

Passenger door sill repair

Patch installed

Here the drivers side longitude repair

Itsa914

--
    03 Aug 2011 05:12 PM

Last of the repair pics for now. Rest of the drivers side long repair.

Itsa914

--
    16 Sep 2011 09:58 PM

I have spent some time working on the project car. I started working on the front end removing the horns. fog lights, and headlights. I found what I thought was a small rust hole, which actually ended up being a hole by the front bumper mount and into the head light bucket. The mount is still fine, but I will need to fix the holes :-(

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner