Question about Minneapolis SOLO event
 4 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Mr. Pockets

--
22 Jul 2009 02:11 PM

I'd like to visit family up in River Falls mid-August, and I checked the SOLO schedule for the area. There's an event on the 15th and 16th, on a site listed as 'Winona-S.E Tech Institute.' I'm looking for some site recon. I sort of assume it's an asphalt site, but how big is it? Honestly, if it's going to be a 30-second, first-gear course I won't make the 8-hour trip. :)

Thanks!

rallyfan555
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    22 Jul 2009 03:34 PM

Hi there!

The event you're looking at is actually in south eastern Minnesota, some distance from Minneapolis. It's a very nice club with relaxed, fun events. The site is a smallish driver training facility with a particularly nice round-about section. I've had fun running with them, but it's going to be a drive from the Minneapolis area.

If you're going to be in the Twin Cities area, you might want to head on over to www.mnautox.com and check out the calendar/forum. There is a "MOWOG" autocross event there that same weekend at Dakota County Technical College. This will be a big event with over 150 entries. Many of them will be warming up for Nationals that weekend. The site is also a driver training facility, but much larger than the one in Winona. Expect 6 runs of more than 50 seconds. Speeds will likely be comparable to any other large autox course. If you do decide to go, make sure you pre-register the day registration opens. They usually sell out in one or two days.

Mr. Pockets

--
    22 Jul 2009 04:09 PM

Ah, I see. I didn't realize how far the event was from Minneapolis.

The MOWOG event sounds interesting. It's just that Sunday, huh? Registration is open, and it's about two-thirds full. I'll have to make solid plans and sign up, if I can.

My brother lives in the area and was interested in trying an autocross out. Would this event be a good one for novices? Oh, and what's the surface like? Concrete or asphalt?

Thanks for the info!

rallyfan555
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    22 Jul 2009 04:45 PM

The club is very novice friendly. Be advised that they run a tight ship though: start on time, check-in for work assignments, etc. It's part of getting the number of runs they do with as many entries as they get. They also have instructors available at any time for anyone during the event. ("Instructor" is one of the work assignments.) Just let someone there know that it's your first time running with them and they'll get you pointed in the right direction.

The surface at DCTC is moderate grip asphalt with a fair amount of aggregate showing through. There's also a two lane wide stretch of concrete that is frequently used for slaloms or other transitional elements.

-Chris

seannabend

--
    22 Jul 2009 07:50 PM

The MOWOG events at DCTC are a very good time for novices and pro's (and there are some definite pro's there).

I have a pdf of the course layout

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~sonn0042/DCTC.pdf

I would recommend signing up. If things change you can resell your entry on the forum www.mnautox.com

DCTC is in Rosemount which is about 15 miles south of St Paul

have fun :)

You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner