INR # 5
 15 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ada///M

--
24 Jul 2011 02:00 PM

With all due respect to the volunteers running the event today I honestly can't believe it was called off. It seems that when we delayed the start your minds were already made up, as the weather was definitely improving. After over an hour drive there and even longer getting back, I would have been happy to wait a little longer even if we would have had to sacrifice a few runs. Now I'm just mad at myself for not going to the SBR or even the tri-state event today instead.

-adam

steveR
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Jul 2011 03:38 PM

I can see where you are coming from and have had that happen to me too a year or two ago at an Indy region event, it definitely sucks.

All I can say is that it wasn't an easy decision, and we're truly sorry if we upset anyone. But we have to go by the scca ruling on lightning strikes for safety.

We're not scared of a little rain since we've run in some terrible weather before (40 degrees with 45+mph winds, and horizontal rain), but when it comes to lightning, we have to call it off.

This is the first time in the six years that I've been with INR that they had to call off an event due to lightning.

Itsa914

--
    24 Jul 2011 08:02 PM

As a saftey steward I can tell you it wasn't an easy choice to make, but we do have to follow SCCA rules. It wasn't the rain that was an issue, it was the lightning. While it may have been off in the distant it was still happening none the less. This is the first time in 8+ yrs AXing with INR that we ever have called off an event because of weather. Trust me for those of us that spent 3 + hours weed whacking + course setup yesterday we wanted to autocross.

The other issue from a saftey stand point was having enough people to man the course, grid, start, timing, and saftey. We had a number of people leave before we even had the drivers meeting because it was just raining to hard. We were getting pretty close to only 20 drivers and that would put us at not enough course workers to hold a safe event.

jaged

--
    24 Jul 2011 09:07 PM
    i will second garolds statements and add we had 29 people show up, 4-5 left before the drivers meeting so that puts us at 24. minimum we need safety, start, and one timing so thats 9 people on course where there are 6 corners, which is no where near safe.

a couple years back i had driven 5 hrs for an event to have it cancelled so i understand that part of it. some of us drive 45min twice an event to set up the day before and then the next to compete so a long drive can be frustrating

Hindsight is always 20/20, knowing what we know now sure we could have waited a bit longer, but even as we finished up loading the van at 11:45 there was a lightning strike so that puts us 12:15 for a minimum start time, IF there wasnt another strike. Thats 2 hrs after our planned start time, how long are we supposed to wait?

believe me, the 6 of us that prepped the lot and set up course for 4+ hrs on sat, and got there sun for the 1-2 hrs before ANYONE even showed up to register sure wanted to run the course
    copterdr

--
    24 Jul 2011 10:06 PM

I also agree with Garold and Jasons statements. As a Saftey Steward we are responsible for the Saftey of events. We have guidelines that must be adhered to. The events would not be possible to insure if we did not do our job.

I have been autocrossing with INR for 9 years and this is the FIRST event have had to call off. We have run events in sideways rain and cold but when you have lighting you cannot proceed with an event.

Stuart Laks

INR Saftey Steward

2004 STI STU

STX Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Jul 2011 10:28 PM
    Wow Adam! The people that showed up and spent their Saturday setting up this course didn't seem to mind not getting struck by lightning. It's a 75 mile round trip from my house to the Majestic Star and I made it yesterday and today. Not only did the people that cleaned the lot not get to run, we had to take it all back down again and put it away in the rain. Not only did I not see you Saturday I also didn't see you help clean up today. Last time I checked we all paid the same amount to race. Sorry we can't control the weather. Maybe your $20.00 would be better spent at another regions event.

Lee
    Mark Hirt
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    24 Jul 2011 10:41 PM
    Adam, should have came to Tri-State. 9 runs on a great course and done by 3:30

A little rain/lighting during course walks, held first car off till the rain/lightning passed (10 am). Tri-State does have a (cough) street tire class but I doubt you would have won (insert evil laugh)

Question: what is a saftey stewart and why can't a safety steward spell it.

Itsa914

--
    24 Jul 2011 10:51 PM
    Mark Hirt wrote:
    Question: what is a saftey stewart and why can't a safety steward spell it.

Steward, there better? Sorry it was a typo.

jaged

--
    24 Jul 2011 11:51 PM
    well mark, your 10am when everything cleared off was our 1100-1130 when it all cleared off and when the lightning was done, and (cough) the 4-5 people a year that ask us about a street tire class does not necessitate a third PAX class for us, especially when we have ST, STS, STU, and STR which is 1/4 of the cars we have
    ada///M

--
    25 Jul 2011 12:12 AM
    to quote my hero Ricky Bobby, "I said it with all due respect!"

Seriously though, I regret making this thread, I was just a little extra heated after the stop-and-go traffic on the way home. I understand your reasons, especially the lack of workers, and I also understand that it sucked for everybody, and not just me. Sorry I didn't help clean up Lee, but frankly, I was pissed, and I wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. First time I've had an event cancelled, next time I'll be better prepared and less surprised.

throw some loctite on this thing and I'll see you guys at a future event
    -adam
    Mark Hirt
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    25 Jul 2011 08:07 AM
    jaged wrote:
    and (cough) the 4-5 people a year that ask us about a street tire class does not necessitate a third PAX class for us, especially when we have ST, STS, STU, and STR which is 1/4 of the cars we have

It's time to open you eyes and add the class, ask Rick Ruth (chairman in Chicago when we implemented the class) how he though it was not needed and would never work. It now draws class sizes bigger than some of your events. It's not a lot of "extra" work, it makes NO difference in the amount of trophy's you buy PLUS there is a huge pool of drivers less than 30 miles to the northwest of your event site that might come your way. From my house in the northwest suburbs it's 1 hour to Route 66, 1 hour 10 minutes to Miller Park and 1 hour to Majestic Star.

Build it and they will come

At Sundays Tri-State event 69 drivers figured out the rain would end by 10am (most have computers and/or smart phones) and showed up. I won the 28 car street tire class that had a couple nationally known drivers in it, one with a couple national championships.

rosejm
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Jul 2011 03:20 PM
    @ Mark - Thanks for the feedback Mark! I'm glad you had a successful event this weekend with the Tri-State drivers. I'm thankful no one was injured while walking the course.

The lightning was the start of our troubles, but the dwindling entrants was the icing on the (non-existent) cake. One or the other was probably not a show stopper, but both issues together really laid it in the table. This would have required 2 heats of working and 1 heat of driving (8 drivers/heat), assuming that eventually we'd get started.

I too was disappointed that we didn't get to run. I LOVE DOING THIS SHIT! It does make the early mornings and late evenings that much more painful when there's no playtime.

While I don't want anyone to think their feelings aren't important to our club's success, personally I feel far more sympathy for the novices that came out to join us and were only rewarded with an early morning wake-up and some paperwork. Kinda like a cold shower for an After-Prom...

THAT probably cost more than anything else, IMO. Would YOU show up again, being in their shoes?
    BlackCavalier52
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    25 Jul 2011 11:39 PM
    *coughcough* troll *cough* this isn't the Tri-State board, this is INR. if you have grammar, spelling, or tire classing complaints - take them elsewhere. These guys busted their asses this weekend.
    Mark Hirt
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    26 Jul 2011 07:51 AM
    When did I say anything about people not stepping up and doing good jobs?

I started with a comment to a friend of mine that unfortunately included a dig against someone's spelling. My comments about adding a street tire class were to help improve your club.

Is there a make up date for July 24?
    Itsa914

--
    26 Jul 2011 08:24 AM
    Mark Hirt wrote:
    I started with a comment to a friend of mine that unfortunately included a dig against someone's spelling. My comments about adding a street tire class were to help improve your club.

Is there a make up date for July 24?

We are discusssing a make up date and will post once when he know for sure.

No harm on the spelling comment :-) but I will toss one back at ya, its spelled lightning not lighting. One is from the sky the other is in your house. :-) Anyway let this topic die off. We will post if we schedule a makeup date.

STX Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Jul 2011 09:26 AM
    Spoke with Jason last night about the Street Tire class. Think we might do a show of hands at our next drivers meeting to
    see who would be interested in a Stree Tire class. Maybe something we can try next year. I'm going to post the question
    on our facebook page as well.

Lee
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner