You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
PCalhoun
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
02 Sep 2009 06:08 AM

In addition to consideration of the actual garage size, do keep in mind the construcion of the trailer itself. Many of the toy hauler type trailers on the market are constructed using low-cost RV techniques and not those of the cargo trailer and motorsport sector.

What does this mean in laymans terms? Generally that the box stucture will be constructed out of wood stick and not steel. Lighter (initially, until it absorbs water), but also less expensive both in materials and assembly labor. If you are looking to haul a 3500# car, plus have your LQ I would seriously look for a LQ unit based of a steel framed gooseneck auto hauler. You will also end up w/ a lower platform height and ramp approach angle for loading/un-loading w/ the auto hauler based unit, not to mention the superior durability.

As noted above many of the toy hualers are constructed w/ the moto-x & ATV markets in mind. Hence the lighter payload capacities and taller platform heights for off-road camping. Of course when shopping do take into consideration the total weight of your cargo, plus filled water tanks, propane, etc so that the trailer is equipped w/ a properly sized axles. I would think triple 7200# would be the approx. size for your app on an auto hauler based unit.

Doctor_Fun

--
02 Sep 2009 10:34 AM

01 FS Z28 wrote:
17' is a little short I think for a Mustang. It might just fit, but it'll be really, really tight.

Yeah, car appears it is a little longer than I thought. Be a tight squeeze and where am I gonna put all those race tires when the truck bed fills up!?! In the kitchen? Plus, the facts from above post make the choice easier.

I think the 48 foot race trailer with the accommodations is the way to go. The length of that thing scared my wife although she loved the at-track comfort it would offer.

billmrmi

--
12 Mar 2010 09:45 AM

On the Pace with the roof off, where you the original owner?

Warranties generally do not transfer and I would be interested in hearing why they denied the claim. Often times when roofs come off trailers it is due to them "bottoming out" or being dragged on unlevel pavement. I have seen a couple roofs come off in my days (I have seen about 4,000 trailers) but it has almost always been a result of frame "tweaking" due to a stess placed on the frame that was not intended, ie dragging it.

If you want to call me at 1-800-978-7223, I would be happy to investigate what has happened.

If you guys could, check out our race car trailers. We have sold tons of trailers to SCCA guys.

racnmni
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
17 Mar 2010 08:25 PM
We have a 32' Chevy 5500 Kodiak based Super C motorhome. Coach loaded (80 gallons of fuel, full propane and 1/2 tank of water) weighs 15,600 and gvw is 19,500. Gcw is 26,000. We tow a heavy open steel 20' solid deck trailer no problem. Fully loaded with all our gear, 2 dogs, the Wife, pit bike, 16 tires in the storage compartment, we were 22,600 on the scales coming home from Lincoln. Ours is an 8.1 with an Allison, but there is also a Duramax version. We bought the smallest Super C available to max out our CCC. Works well for us, and the price was great. Bought a low mile repo unit, and it has been fantastic. Fuel economy sucks 6.5-7.5mpg, but no hotel, dog boarding and saving a bunch of money on meals plus the comfort factor... it's a no brainer in my opinion. Good luck with the search!
fzust
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
03 Jun 2010 08:36 AM

I bought a used 34' Chevy 5500 Kodiak Super C (Jayco Seneca) with the Duramax. It has an 8,000lb hitch. Carrying capacity is more than adequate for anything I need to take. I am pulling a Aerovault trailer, though you could easily pull a 20' trailer behind it. As I have told anyone that would listen, this is kinda the "unsolveable problem"(actually it is solvable, but my powerball numbers didn't pan out either.) Essentially, the advantage of the motorhome, especially a super-C is that you get a Diesel dually for not much more than a new diesel dually but it has a house on it. The RV is 34' long, whereas the big enough toy haulers or race trailers are VERY long making maneuverability and parking a huge pain. I can turn my fairly short wheel-base RV around in my subdivision. I have limited length to park so 34' is my limit.

The downside is that you don't have a run-about vehicle when you get there. For weekends it is no big deal. For Lincoln, we're probably gonna get a rental car.

Lastly, I am a big-fan of aero and lightweight as it helps with towing mileage.

Checkout ATC. They have a bathroom package for their V-nose trailer that doesn't take up much space. That gives you 50 fresh + 50/50 grey/black + toilet, sink, and shower. Put a couple of chairs in there to sit on and put an A/C on the top of a 20' trailer and you are at 3500lbs without gear. Get a duramax 2500 and tow at 75mph all day.

http://www.aluminumtrailer.com/livi...20quarters

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports
SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner