Carrying tires on roof?
 8 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
FullEffect256

--
30 Jul 2009 09:32 PM

Assuming i have a roof rack like the one pictured below, how would i go about carrying 4 wheels/tires on the top of my car (04 bmw 330i). I've seen this done on a porsche once but didn't pay attention on how he had it all hooked up. Any ideas?

Tim Irwin
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 Aug 2009 10:47 PM
    The local (NWR) Porsche driver who does that here uses something like this -- http://www.yakima.com/racks/cargo/p...rrior.aspx (cargo basket). I think he puts three in the rack and one inside. The 15" Porsche wheels are a bit smaller than yours though. With a 330i, I would think you could fit a couple in the back seat and at least one in the trunk.
    Tim Irwin
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 Aug 2009 10:51 PM

-- double post, can't delete --

atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    03 Aug 2009 12:23 AM
    Tim Irwin wrote:

-- double post, can't delete --

Well, ask something clever, like... where's my spell-check? Seems to have disappeared today.
    crewsfactor

--
    03 Aug 2009 08:13 AM

That may have been me you saw with tires on top of my boxster. I used the Porsche "Roof Transport System" (i.e. factory roof rack), then two pieces of 3/8" plywood laid across the two rails, then laid the 4 tires down on them. I still have them on the roof now, actually. I'll take a pic when I get home if I remember.

bmwguy325is

--
    03 Aug 2009 09:31 AM
    I have a yakima (just has round bars) and what i do is move the towers close enough that the tires can sit between them and not hit the roof but as low as possible. Then i run my tie downs through the middle of the wheels and use the towers as my tie off point. It works great. However stack 4 275/35/15 tires wide on the roof of your car and you get one huge wall for the wind to hit. I averaged 15 with an E20 BMW.
    crewsfactor

--
    06 Aug 2009 05:41 AM

Here are some pics of how I did mine. If you have the $ and storage space, I'd highly recommend a trailer versus doing this. It takes me around 20-25 minutes to load/unload the tires and my trunks with jack, etc, whereas with a trailer you could just unhook it. At the time I did this, I didn't have the storage space for a trailer.

KenJones2009

--
    10 Nov 2009 08:34 AM

Although this does look like that you properly secured the tires, I would absolutely advise purchasing a trailer. Besides the convenience factor, it is also much safer. I would only secure the tires like this as a temporary fix. Thanks for the pictures.

http://www.kenjones.com

<!--Session data-->
    <!--Session data-->
    Outlaw26

--
    28 Nov 2009 01:50 AM
    Man, I would be scared to death of dropping the end of a comealong on the roof as I was trying to thread the wheel spokes, or more likely, unthreading them. I drop them all the time when I load stuff on the roof of my truck, which doesn't get any love whatsoever when it comes to cosmetics.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner