Carrying tires on roof?
 8 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
FullEffect256

--
30 Jul 2009 09:32 PM

Assuming i have a roof rack like the one pictured below, how would i go about carrying 4 wheels/tires on the top of my car (04 bmw 330i). I've seen this done on a porsche once but didn't pay attention on how he had it all hooked up. Any ideas?

Tim Irwin
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 Aug 2009 10:47 PM
    The local (NWR) Porsche driver who does that here uses something like this -- http://www.yakima.com/racks/cargo/p...rrior.aspx (cargo basket). I think he puts three in the rack and one inside. The 15" Porsche wheels are a bit smaller than yours though. With a 330i, I would think you could fit a couple in the back seat and at least one in the trunk.
    Tim Irwin
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 Aug 2009 10:51 PM

-- double post, can't delete --

atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    03 Aug 2009 12:23 AM
    Tim Irwin wrote:

-- double post, can't delete --

Well, ask something clever, like... where's my spell-check? Seems to have disappeared today.
    crewsfactor

--
    03 Aug 2009 08:13 AM

That may have been me you saw with tires on top of my boxster. I used the Porsche "Roof Transport System" (i.e. factory roof rack), then two pieces of 3/8" plywood laid across the two rails, then laid the 4 tires down on them. I still have them on the roof now, actually. I'll take a pic when I get home if I remember.

bmwguy325is

--
    03 Aug 2009 09:31 AM
    I have a yakima (just has round bars) and what i do is move the towers close enough that the tires can sit between them and not hit the roof but as low as possible. Then i run my tie downs through the middle of the wheels and use the towers as my tie off point. It works great. However stack 4 275/35/15 tires wide on the roof of your car and you get one huge wall for the wind to hit. I averaged 15 with an E20 BMW.
    crewsfactor

--
    06 Aug 2009 05:41 AM

Here are some pics of how I did mine. If you have the $ and storage space, I'd highly recommend a trailer versus doing this. It takes me around 20-25 minutes to load/unload the tires and my trunks with jack, etc, whereas with a trailer you could just unhook it. At the time I did this, I didn't have the storage space for a trailer.

KenJones2009

--
    10 Nov 2009 08:34 AM

Although this does look like that you properly secured the tires, I would absolutely advise purchasing a trailer. Besides the convenience factor, it is also much safer. I would only secure the tires like this as a temporary fix. Thanks for the pictures.

http://www.kenjones.com

<!--Session data-->
    <!--Session data-->
    Outlaw26

--
    28 Nov 2009 01:50 AM
    Man, I would be scared to death of dropping the end of a comealong on the roof as I was trying to thread the wheel spokes, or more likely, unthreading them. I drop them all the time when I load stuff on the roof of my truck, which doesn't get any love whatsoever when it comes to cosmetics.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner