AspireTec Engineering  468
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 17 Dec 2011 06:15 PM by  TeamRX8
Automatic Transmission Additive Necessary?
 7 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
atcovan
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
25 Aug 2011 11:54 AM
    Any opinions about it's use? I have a 2003 Town Car with deep pan and a big cooler, change fluid every 25k miles, filter at 50k miles and refill 7 quarts, or a bit more than half the total capacity. I figure LubeGuard could revitalize the fluid which stays behind. Steve H would know :)
    Steve Hoelscher
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    08 Nov 2011 04:12 PM
    Hi Jim,

If you use a quality, name brand fluid, change it regularly, an additive is not necessary. Lubgard is good stuff and is always a good idea but far from necessary. Changing the fluid regularly is the best preventative maintenance you can do. Note that all Lubgard does is provide a shot of additives. All ATF is is hydraulic fluid with a complex additive package intended to stabilize the oil under heat and load and provide for smooth clutch engagement.
    atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    09 Nov 2011 01:45 AM
    Thanks, Steve!
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    09 Nov 2011 08:24 AM

What Steve said, PLUS stay under the rated tow capacity. I found this out the hard way with a 1/2 ton Chevy van. The wink link was the second gear clutch basket spline. Higher tow ratings = bigger components. That said, a Town Car is so NOT a tow vehicle that it is so cool !!!!

Andy Hollis

--
    09 Nov 2011 08:48 AM
    Steve Hoelscher wrote:
    Hi Jim,

If you use a quality, name brand fluid, change it regularly, an additive is not necessary. Lubgard is good stuff and is always a good idea but far from necessary. Changing the fluid regularly is the best preventative maintenance you can do. Note that all Lubgard does is provide a shot of additives. All ATF is is hydraulic fluid with a complex additive package intended to stabilize the oil under heat and load and provide for smooth clutch engagement.

I asked Steve this very thing 10 years ago, followed his advice, and just recently sold my tow vehicle motorhome with over 200K miles. Still running strong and never a tranny problem.

Thanks Steve!

--Andy

Steve Hoelscher
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    09 Nov 2011 05:31 PM
    Andy, glad to here you had such good service. I am always glad to help.

Bob, note that the Town Car has one of the best and most reliable transmissions in the industry. The Ford 4R70W. While in Town Car config it isn't exactly ideal for towing it will do so remarkably well. Note that I have the same transmission in my van which logged over 200K towing miles before I rebuilt it.

Oh, and Jim, the most obvious difference in the Town Car version of the 4R70W is the band servo. Ford offers it in three sizes. If you want to go all the way, have the servo changed to the big one. The 1-2 shift will chirp the tires unloaded but feel nice and firm with the trailer.
    atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    12 Nov 2011 04:02 PM
    It's current final drive is 3.27, but limo got the 3.55 gears, so that will tow even better! Gotta run in style, plus the air ride system keeps the car level. Now, the next trick is to stuff a quad-cam Mustang motor in there :)
    TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    17 Dec 2011 06:15 PM
    His advice even worked on a Honda Ridgeline which he stated would never last, lol
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner