Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
toy4speed
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
14 Aug 2009 11:27 AM

Been calling around for some tires for my enclosed car trailer. Familiar with the Goodyear Marathon, had them for a number of years, no complaints. Since we are making the long drive to Nats from the west coast, I wanted to carry a spare unmounted tire, just in case, but the Marathons seem unavailable. One shop told me that Goodyear is starting to have them made in China, and the price is up, design is identical to a cheaper tire brand (STC, I think). Called around some more, and even the Goodyear store is suggesting a brand called Towmaster (sp). Anyone having issues finding trailer tires? Any recommendations on brands? I use the 225/75-15, load range D tires. Most of the other brands the tire shops are suggesting cost around $95 to $115 a tire. Thanks!

Don

marka
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    14 Aug 2009 11:33 AM

Howdy,

I needed tires for our trailer (same size I believe) this year and the recommendations I got said to go with Maxxis. They make a load range E tire.

Been happy with mine, but they've also been on there less than a year. I think I bought them from Discount Tire Direct, but don't quote me on that.

Mark

toy4speed
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Aug 2009 11:43 AM

Thanks Mark!

Just got some update from Tirerack. The Marathons (in my size) are not available currently. Apparently some of the tires were being made in China, and had many complaints/issues. Tirerack is not longer carrying any of the tires manuf in China, and is awaiting the US only production of Marathons. Problem is, the availability of the US made product may not be out till end of month (estimated), and we know how that goes. I could continue looking around for Marathons, but TR highly recommends verifying that whatever I find is NOT made in China. FYI, the US Marathon part# for my 225/75-15 D range tire is #762173137 , if that helps anyone.

Don

atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    15 Aug 2009 06:47 PM
    Hi Don, and anyone else interested. I used this size Marathon on my 20' enclosed and always set the cold pressure to 65. I know it sounds high, but the tires never got hot and heat is what kills them. After a few seasons with the racer, I hauled a neighbor's household stuff (over 10k lbs of it!) to Arizona and never had an issue. I believe most failures are from overheat due to under-inflation.
    toy4speed
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 Aug 2009 12:05 AM

James, absolutely correct on your suggestion! Proper pressures (I run 65 psi also) are critical! I just don't have much experience with other trailer tire brands, and mostly have run Marathons (with good results). However, being so darned hard to find right now, and especially now with this China made vs. USA made thing, well....just scratching my head.

Had Carlisle tires several times, and although they were on an open trailer, and a different size, I did have a few blowouts. Marathons seemed better on that trailer. Regardless, I'll have to buy something to bring along (with my spare), 'cuz I just feel better with a backup (to the backup). Thanks!

Don

Beans
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    16 Aug 2009 05:27 AM

we use towmaster tires on all of our work trailers at the boat yard. They get treated very poorly and have never failed.

atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    16 Aug 2009 11:28 AM
    Beans wrote:

we use towmaster tires on all of our work trailers at the boat yard. They get treated very poorly and have never failed.

I also heard of good service from Towmaster. I guess the best way to prevent trouble is to go with a known brand, adequate pressure and going to a larger size? My trailer came with 205's and I thought that was ridiculous. If there were a way to fit the E rated 16", that would be the best insurance.
    jwilliams

--
    16 Aug 2009 02:38 PM
    toy4speed wrote:

Thanks Mark!

Just got some update from Tirerack. The Marathons (in my size) are not available currently. Apparently some of the tires were being made in China, and had many complaints/issues. Tirerack is not longer carrying any of the tires manuf in China, and is awaiting the US only production of Marathons.

TR will be waiting a long time for US made marathons. Marathons are built in China only. By the way, Towmaster is Greenball=built in China. I second Mark's recommendation of Maxxis, and get the Load Range E tires. If you can fit them, go to 16" wheels with LT225/75R16 LRE tires.

EWCMR2
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Aug 2009 06:42 AM

jwilliams wrote:
    waiting a long time for US made marathons. Marathons are built in China only.

After seeing this thread (and checking the Tirerack site) I bought two 225/75/15D Marathons from the local Discount Tire. Made in USA, date code 1809. Did Goodyear recently stop U.S. production or did they already move production back?

toy4speed
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Aug 2009 07:24 AM

Well, this is encouraging. I'd heard that US made Marathons were becoming slowly available as the China made tires were being discontinued (info from TR), but that adequate production levels may not be seen for a while. Pretty hit and miss I guess, sorta like my driving :)

Don

jwilliams

--
    17 Aug 2009 07:53 PM
    EWCMR2 wrote:

jwilliams wrote:
    waiting a long time for US made marathons. Marathons are built in China only.

After seeing this thread (and checking the Tirerack site) I bought two 225/75/15D Marathons from the local Discount Tire. Made in USA, date code 1809. Did Goodyear recently stop U.S. production or did they already move production back?

Interesting, good find for you. Goodyear told us dealers that all production of marathons was moved to China a few years ago. I've not seen a US built one since then. I shall be calling my Goodyear rep and bending his ear a little. I'll let you all know what I hear. Could you post a picture or two of the tire to include the DOT code and "made in USA" so I can show them to him as proof they actually exist. I don't doubt you, but as they say a picture is worth.....

PCalhoun
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Aug 2009 08:18 PM

Good Year has announced that production of Marathon trailer tires will be returning to the USA. Due to the downturn in the economy, however, which has crippled the trailer & RV industry this may take a while to get all the Chinese made product pushed thru the OE and aftermarket distribution channels and replenished by USA made product.

I've been looking for the PR announcement, but have mis-placed it.

EWCMR2
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    19 Aug 2009 06:38 AM

jwilliams wrote:
    Could you post a picture or two of the tire to include the DOT code and "made in USA" so I can show them to him as proof they actually exist. I don't doubt you, but as they say a picture is worth.....

Send an E-mail or you can see them in Lincoln.

jwilliams

--
    19 Aug 2009 08:27 AM
    pm sent with email, thanks.
    atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    19 Aug 2009 07:21 PM
    PCalhoun wrote:

Good Year has announced that production of Marathon trailer tires will be returning to the USA. Due to the downturn in the economy, however, which has crippled the trailer & RV industry this may take a while to get all the Chinese made product pushed thru the OE and aftermarket distribution channels and replenished by USA made product. I've been looking for the PR announcement, but have mis-placed it.

Given the failure rate, according to TR feedback, it should take about 2 months for several thousand Chinese-made tires to blowout!

You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner