Vorshlag 468x60 Banner
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 04 Dec 2013 10:26 PM by  dhrmx5
Anybody interested in keeping SSC alive?
 63 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>
Author Messages
BillSeifert
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
25 Oct 2011 11:25 PM
dhrmx5

Dave

Yes, I still have my Civic. I did take the seats out, and ran Time Attack this year. But I still have the stuff, and if you come out to NORPAC events in SSC with either the Ford or the Miatas or both, I will do my best to be there.

I can envision 4 cars at Thunderhill, both Portland weekends, and Kent, 5 if Ali decides to run one more year. I've been trying to call him for 2 weeks with no luck.

For those against the Miatas, if they are overdogs, add 100-200 lbs. Of course, all of this is assuming they let the 99-2000 Civics run one more year.

Bill
dhrmx5
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
26 Oct 2011 01:50 PM

JMac, if your manifold is making good power I would make sure your plates by the head are actually operating properly. Your ecu may be "forgetting" to tell them to close. In back to back tests on 01 Miatas I've seen 5hp go away. On the 08 Mustang with similar plates it is worth 25hp to remove them.

My numbers are always for bone stock cars with the allowable mods for SS. I am sure more is available but then we end up with what people call "tech shed legal" and I am not a proponent of that.

I have been informed that the Miata has been allowed in SSC but at 2700 lbs, which is a big number. Even with me in the car it will take 250+ pounds of lead to make weight. We are running a 3 hour enduro at Miller this weekend and will be testing with the extra weight to see what effect it has on the cars. Will let you know.

paulgauzens

--
27 Oct 2011 12:48 PM
dhrmx5 wrote: I have been informed that the Miata has been allowed in SSC but at 2700 lbs, which is a big number. Even with me in the car it will take 250+ pounds of lead to make weight. We are running a 3 hour enduro at Miller this weekend and will be testing with the extra weight to see what effect it has on the cars. Will let you know.

Dave: That wouldn't require all 250# in the pass. floor, right? You could put weight in strategic places...

If other things develop as the CRB announced (killing age-out), then you'll see Neon's and Civic's making similar HP at weights like 2760 or so, too. And nowhere near the handling envelope of the Miata.

dhrmx5
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
27 Oct 2011 02:21 PM
Paul, the older Neons and Civics are in the same trap the Miata was in in SSB. Too slow for the class, with no easy way to make them work. My goal in dropping down a class is that the Miata can be competetive in SSC, If the CRB allows it. We'll give it a try this weekend and see what happens.
BillSeifert
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
28 Oct 2011 01:00 PM
dhrmx5

Darn, I wish I had known you were going to run Miller this weekend. I had tried to get an entry to go there for the 3 hour enduro, but I did not have a co-driver. The guy I was going to use is a Drifter, and couldn't get a license for this weekend, and they wouldn't let me run by myself. I think there are only about 3 other drivers in Idaho besides me with a competition license, and I don't know any of them. On top of that my boss emailed me and wants me to go to an Inservice tonight in Twin Falls, which means I can't get to Tooella in time for the race. So I am out now.

Please email me with your email address, so I can get in touch with you for other races. I looked all over all the info in SCCA Fasttrack, and anyplace else I could think of and couldn't find anything about the Civics or Neons being extended for another year. Is that official, or just a rumor?

By the way, I talked to Ali yesterday, and I think both he and Brian Husting are going to race in SSC in 2012, at least at Thunderhill. Maybe Ali at Portland, he is a member of the Oregon Region SCCA, as I am too.

Glad to hear the Miatas are in, though that weight is a little heavy. I thought they talked about 2600 lbs.

billseifert256@gmail.com

208-309-1071
Richard Pryor

--
28 Oct 2011 01:55 PM
dhrmx5 wrote:

I have been informed that the Miata has been allowed in SSC but at 2700 lbs, which is a big number. Even with me in the car it will take 250+ pounds of lead to make weight. We are running a 3 hour enduro at Miller this weekend and will be testing with the extra weight to see what effect it has on the cars. Will let you know.

Shoot, Dave...just strap Scotty B. White or Bubba Gurney in the passenger seat and you'll have no problem making weight...and both will give you driving lessons shouted in your ear while you're racing. RP

stangetr

--
30 Oct 2011 11:14 AM
so now the 2.5 rule is suspended what about the 10 year rule? or the reclassification with touring? does anyone know?
rallyfan555
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
31 Oct 2011 09:26 PM
In the interest of promoting SSC to new racers, have any of you folks considered doing a build thread or blog? One where you post step by step how the car is prepared, challenges overcome, etc. with lots of pictures? It probably sounds mundane to the pros, but people just circling the periphery of the sport might discover it, decide it's something they can do in their own two-stall garage in the suburbs. Certainly it's easier to prepare for SS* than IT* or SM or even those (unmentionable) crapcan series. Simple things like seeing how a bolt-in cage or race seat is installed could make the class appear more accessible. Understanding the wear and maintenance issues could help instill confidence in a someone contemplating the sport and class.

Showroom Stock is generally not mentioned on marque-specific forums. A couple of build threads would help to put SSC on folks' radar simply because car people enjoy reading them. Perhaps going to one or two of them, posting a build blog, and reporting on the racing action would get new people interested.

IT has Dave Gran's "Go Ahead, Take the Wheel" book. SM has "The Spec Miata Constructor's Manual" and Tom Hampton's build blog on mazdaracers.com. On the autocross side, the crew over on Miata.net has reams of information on building STS Miatas, reducing weight, etc. Jason Rhodes posted extensive blogs on both the Nissan 240SX he built years ago to win ST and his current STX Camaro. Build threads are common on various enthusiast forums all over the internet.

edit: Though not a build thread, Andy Hollis's thread on the new STF solo class is doing a good job at getting people to think about the class. Or more specifically, the cars in the class. http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/fo...cope/posts

Just a thought.
-Chris
racerbob4

--
01 Nov 2011 05:50 PM
Joel Lipperini is the perfect guy to do this, with rjohnson's permission of course. Joel and his borther have built a lot of cars in the last couple of years and they put out a nice car.
BillSeifert
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
01 Nov 2011 06:32 PM
"Joel Liperini is the perfect guy to do this, with rjohnson;s permission of course."

Yuk, yuk!!!!!
rjohnson999
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
01 Nov 2011 11:13 PM

Didn't know I had that much "power." Unless you're just paranoid about an idea you favor being challenged. Do and say whatever you want. I'll do the same.

racerbob4 wrote:
Joel Lipperini is the perfect guy to do this, with rjohnson's permission of course. Joel and his borther have built a lot of cars in the last couple of years and they put out a nice car.

BillSeifert
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
03 Nov 2011 12:04 AM
rjohnson999

I think it was just a joke. At least that was how I took it.

David Mead:
How did Miller go? Did you run the SSC version of the Miata?
dhrmx5
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
03 Nov 2011 05:41 PM
Hi, Bill.

The new tires didn't arrive and with the OLD Hankooks we were using in the race the test wouldn't have been valid. I will build a car and we'll see what happens.

I am looking at doing the TH double and probably the Fontana and Willows races if they do it again
dhrmx5
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
03 Nov 2011 05:43 PM
Wish it was the old SS where a build was 1. Buy car 2. Bolt in cage install belts/fire ext. 3. Put on stickers 4. Go race

Life was easy!
BillSeifert
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
03 Nov 2011 06:00 PM
David

Are you going to the Quad Nationals. I'm taking my grandkids to Disney World right after Christmas and a friend that runs E Prod in the Southeast, wants me to stick around for at least Sebring.

Dan Lipperini Jr
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
03 Nov 2011 09:23 PM
rallyfan555 wrote:
In the interest of promoting SSC to new racers, have any of you folks considered doing a build thread or blog? One where you post step by step how the car is prepared, challenges overcome, etc. with lots of pictures? It probably sounds mundane to the pros, but people just circling the periphery of the sport might discover it, decide it's something they can do in their own two-stall garage in the suburbs. Certainly it's easier to prepare for SS* than IT* or SM or even those (unmentionable) crapcan series. Simple things like seeing how a bolt-in cage or race seat is installed could make the class appear more accessible. Understanding the wear and maintenance issues could help instill confidence in a someone contemplating the sport and class.

Showroom Stock is generally not mentioned on marque-specific forums. A couple of build threads would help to put SSC on folks' radar simply because car people enjoy reading them. Perhaps going to one or two of them, posting a build blog, and reporting on the racing action would get new people interested.Just a thought.
-Chris

Ask and you shall receive!

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/sh...p?t=205397

Since there was talk that SSC was going away, we decided to make a statement to SCCA by doing just what you mentioned. Once the decision was made to compete with a Tiburon, Joel took his marketing background and ran with it. In todays world of the internet and social media, a "blog build" was chosen so that a whole new group of marque enthusiasts could share in the build. The largest Hyundai Tiburon on-line forum was chosen for the build blog and within just 3 weeks there were over 15,000 views of the thread. This was done to show that there is an "un-tapped" group of motorsports enthusiasts out there who have absolutely no idea of what SCCA does and more specifically what can reasonably done to the type of car they drive, to compete wheel-to-wheel. We did it to prove a point and it worked. Take a look at the thread and see what I mean. I only hope that someone from SCCA was alerted to this and it actually made an impression. We built a car in a VERY short amount of time, went to the RunOffs and were successful in getting a brand new car on the pole for the race. All this while a few members of that on-line forum actually took time from their busy schedules to drive to Road America and help as crew members for the weekend. That is what this club needs and more specifically a class that people can relate to. A marque specific forum is a great wealth of knowledge and followers who are always looking for something "new" to do if it includes the type of car they love.

Just a little bit of a twist for everyone who believes in the class and a different way of doing things.

See you guys next season(with a new SSC car)....................................

BillSeifert
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
04 Nov 2011 12:19 AM
Wow, what a "Blog". Up until reading your "build blog", I was pretty sure I would have an almost impossible time building an SSC car. Now I know for sure. Ain't no freaking way. I sure hope SSC is savable, because the only way I am going to get a new car, is to buy one.
RX7 KLR
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
04 Nov 2011 12:53 PM
Dan Lipperini Jr wrote:

Ask and you shall receive!

http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/sh...p?t=205397

Since there was talk that SSC was going away, we decided to make a statement to SCCA by doing just what you mentioned. Once the decision was made to compete with a Tiburon, Joel took his marketing background and ran with it. In todays world of the internet and social media, a "blog build" was chosen so that a whole new group of marque enthusiasts could share in the build. The largest Hyundai Tiburon on-line forum was chosen for the build blog and within just 3 weeks there were over 15,000 views of the thread. This was done to show that there is an "un-tapped" group of motorsports enthusiasts out there who have absolutely no idea of what SCCA does and more specifically what can reasonably done to the type of car they drive, to compete wheel-to-wheel. We did it to prove a point and it worked. Take a look at the thread and see what I mean. I only hope that someone from SCCA was alerted to this and it actually made an impression. We built a car in a VERY short amount of time, went to the RunOffs and were successful in getting a brand new car on the pole for the race. All this while a few members of that on-line forum actually took time from their busy schedules to drive to Road America and help as crew members for the weekend. That is what this club needs and more specifically a class that people can relate to. A marque specific forum is a great wealth of knowledge and followers who are always looking for something "new" to do if it includes the type of car they love.

Just a little bit of a twist for everyone who believes in the class and a different way of doing things.

See you guys next season(with a new SSC car)....................................

That is a great way to get some brand specific attention for your project. We did the same thing with our H Prod Yaris... Over 36000 views and just shy of 900 posts. In just a matter of days the chatter is already racking up over the Bestwick B-Spec Yaris, and we did not even post anything about the build.

RX7 KLR
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
04 Nov 2011 12:54 PM
BillSeifert wrote:
Wow, what a "Blog". Up until reading your "build blog", I was pretty sure I would have an almost impossible time building an SSC car. Now I know for sure. Ain't no freaking way. I sure hope SSC is savable, because the only way I am going to get a new car, is to buy one.

Hey Bill, leave your Honda in the barn, come on out to Socal and drive our SSC Nissan.

BillSeifert
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
04 Nov 2011 03:37 PM
Jason,

You know that ain't a bad idea. What's your first race? Now that Phoenix is dead are they going to use Firebird?
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

Sunoco 88x31 Button
SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner