28 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
kpgubert

--
24 Oct 2011 12:01 AM

It is my first post here, so please bear with me.

I run my '94 Mustang GT in C-prepared. I did decently well this year, my first year (regional events, one divisional), but I know it is time for some real tires. I ran this year on Nitto NT-01s. They worked okay for me, but it is definitely time for something better, I am definitely ready to start using true slicks.

I have never bought true slicks before, so I am pretty lost. If possible, I would like to find a slightly used set I could buy (maybe from a road racer?). Ideally, I would like to find a size that would work well on my car and would fit a 17x9" wheel, but I am not completely objected to getting a new set of wheels. However, I don't want to have to roll the fenders on my car. What brand should I be looking for? What size would work best for me? Will that size work well on a 17x9" wheel? What compound should I be looking for? Is there any good place to buy used race tires like I'm looking for?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    24 Oct 2011 08:56 AM
    AFAIK, there is no Autocross compound slick in 17 inch sizes. So you will need a dot r compound tire, most likely a Hoosier A6 is your best bet.

Davew
    CP Thunder
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    24 Oct 2011 10:17 AM
    Hoosier A6 275/40/17
    ratt_finkel
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    24 Oct 2011 10:42 AM
    For a newbie to R-comps or slicks, I would not recommend the hooisers. They will be difficult to learn on and you will end up wearing them out before you get comfortable with their performance envelope. I would recommend Kumho V710's. Used hoosier can be slower than street tires, and it doesn't take as many runs as you think to wear them out.
    kpgubert

--
    24 Oct 2011 11:50 AM
    Thanks for the quick replies. I have (co)driven an ESP Mustang on Hoosiers, and I have seen brand new A6s get corded in a single day.
    I wouldn't mind going to a 16" wheel so I can use R25 or R35 compound Hoosier slicks, but I have 13" brakes in the front, so I have to have at least a 17" wheel. The car doubles for me as an open tracking car (strictly for fun/learning experience), so I don't want to switch back to stock brakes.
    The way I'm reading it is I'd be better off with a set of DOT A6s than a set of R80 or R100 compound slicks?
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    24 Oct 2011 01:02 PM
    The Hoosier Radial slicks sure don't seem to be "there" in GT-1 sizes, I don't know about in 17", but I doubt I would try them on an undeveloped car.

There are 16" wheels that fit over Cobra brakes, but I have no idea if that would help your combo. .

The Kuhmo 710 is a good suggestion, if not A6 is good too. As Jeremy said, you can kill A6's by accident and used ones can be dicey.

DaveW
    kpgubert

--
    24 Oct 2011 05:39 PM
    Thanks for the insight everyone. I will most likely go with some A6s for next year.
    cbramey
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    25 Oct 2011 04:29 PM

I'd love to hear thoughts on brands and compounds of slicks as well in CP sizes...maybe sizes too....

47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    25 Oct 2011 05:13 PM
    For the Hoosier bias, R35 is the way to go on the 25x12 front and 27x14 rears. You just seem to lose too many early runs waiting for the 45's to heat up, even in hot climates.

When I looked at GY, I really wanted a softer compound but they don't make it in these sizes. A lot of guys are going fast on GY in CP on whatever compound.

I haven't dicked with Hoosier radials for a few years. When I did, they pretty much sucked. Those were 25.5x13.5 and 28x14 sizes (IIRC) and I don't remember the compound.

I would really, really like to try A6's on my car just to see. I think I might like them on the front, but not so much on the back. Unfortunately, in order to even test it, it would be $5k in wheels to get sizes big enough and I don't want to try them that bad...:)

DaveW

Dave Hardy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    26 Oct 2011 09:13 AM
    What are people doing for wheel size in CP? Staying under 10" for the lower weight, or going wide and taking the bump?
    47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    26 Oct 2011 09:46 AM
    I think most everyone is taking the 50# bump, even the small tire guys like Padberg and Ucker. I am not sure about Miller in the 4cylinder car.

If you have any power, it would be hard to put it down on a 10" tire....

DaveW
    kpgubert

--
    28 Oct 2011 04:34 PM
    47CP wrote:

There are 16" wheels that fit over Cobra brakes, but I have no idea if that would help your combo. .

Who makes these 16" wheels that would clear the brakes? I have heard mention of this before, but I thought it was just talk.

Stroh

--
    06 Nov 2011 07:09 AM
    You'll find some more info here on 16" wheels that fit over Cobra brakes: http://forums.corral.net/forums/roa...rakes.html

We run the Goodyears slicks on our Camaro, as have basically all the winners in CP going back to Ron Vermulm... Year before last we did lots of back to back running with Hoosiers and at least on our car, the Goodyears have a much better feel and last a LOT longer. Running Hoosiers, it would have been 2 extra sets of tires a year to run on good rubber compared to running on the Goodyears, so there's a not insignificant cost to consider.

Take the 50# hit, go for the wide wheels and then figure out the tire height that works for you.
    kpgubert

--
    06 Nov 2011 07:05 PM
    Thanks for the link! From what I have read there, it appears Real Racing Wheels is a possibility.
    BryansDriving

--
    07 Nov 2011 08:55 AM
    I've heard that Michigan International Speedway is the only place in MI to get Goodyear racing tires. If you can, try and talk to John McIver in XP with the Cobra, cause I know he runs GY slicks.
    kpgubert

--
    07 Nov 2011 12:25 PM
    Hey Bryan, I saw you were a member here too. I guess it's a small internet, haha.

I know John runs GYs on one end of his car and Hoosiers on the other, that's a good point - I will talk to him. I hope he will be at the banquet. As a matter of fact, now that I have discovered Real Racing wheels, I think that is what he uses on his car. I will have to ask him about that as well.
    BryansDriving

--
    07 Nov 2011 02:53 PM
    It sure is a small internet.
    cobraaph
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Nov 2011 01:10 AM

Timely thread for me. I am looking at switching from 315 A6's on 17x10 Enkie RPF1's to 16x12 rims. Sounds like Goodyear is the brand of tire to run, if winning is the goal ;-). The big questions are size, compound, and construction. There is 12" or 13" or 14" width. Diameter ranges from 23.5" to 25.5". 14" is probably too wide. R250 or R430 compound. Radial or Bias Ply.

On rims, I have 6 in the garage of which I think only two are viable. All are 16x12, 2 with 5" BS (wide five), 2 with 10" BS, and 2 with 11" BS. These should fit stock '97 Cobra spindles and axles. Probably have to ditch the Brembo front calipers so the wheels will fit.

Any thoughts?

47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    08 Nov 2011 09:00 AM
    Results speak for themselves on the GY thing, but keep in mind that the pluses and minuses of various tire brands is very size specific. What is good on a 25x12x16 and 27x14x16 may not be on a different size/compound.

The bias slicks are a dying breed. AFAIK, Hoosier is basically making them for "us" as club racing has gone radial in GT1. The Bias GY GT-1 sizes aren't even in the catalog, they are special ordered by a dealer(s) who thinks they can sell them. Neither of these situations is ideal, especially the latter one. It can happen to any brand (and has) but ask the DM/EM Goodyear guys about the lack of new tires in their sizes at Nationals this year.

I haven't tested radial slicks in a while, but a few years ago it was not a pretty sight. Hoosier is/was getting their butt kicked in GT1 by GY and the GY wasn't all that much better. Not to mention that they are all $400+ each.

Why do you think you need to switch away from A6's? I am not so sure that if going the other way was an option for my car, that I wouldn't at least try it.

DaveW
    cobraaph
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 Nov 2011 09:14 PM
    Well, that upsets the apple cart a bit. I guess I could look at 335/35/17's on wider rims (maybe 11.5" or 12"). Any idea who makes lightweight rims of that size for $1000 or less (preferably a lot less :-)?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner