Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
47CP
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
09 Nov 2011 09:47 AM
CCW is generally the best bet, but nowhere near $1k :(

I can't say for sure the A6's are better/worse. On surfaces like Peru/Toledo, slick tired cars run away and hide. But it seems like on any of the slicker surfaces (like Blytheville or Lincoln), or in cool weather the A6 works as well or better.

So, I just don't know what to tell you....

DaveW
Stroh

--
09 Nov 2011 09:40 PM
Before you rule out A6s, don't forget that Jesus Villarreal placed 3rd in his Camaro in 2010. Day 1 was on A6s (before he broke a wheel) and was very competitive. I think a car on A6s can compete, for me personally though, the bias ply tires fit my driving style a lot better and wear wise I think will last a bit longer...

Size is going to be dependent on your car, gearing, power, etc. We run the 25" tall fronts and the 27" tall rears in GYs or Hoosiers. Compound is course/weather dependent. A car with less power can probably get away with the narrower and shorter rears.

We tried the radial Hoosiers briefly. It is a different feel and something you will have to change the setup of your car to work with. Again, it's a matter of testing and determining what works best for you.

turbotoddie
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
09 Nov 2011 10:47 PM
FWIW, Michigan is not the only outlet for Goodyear bias slicks. Call any of the Goodyear warehouses and they can tell you what they can supply.

Todd
kpgubert

--
30 Nov 2012 07:28 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I am really going to finally get real tires before spring. I called John Berget Racing Tires and it sounds like he will be able to help me out with a set of slightly used tires. I plan on using 315 A6s.

I need to make a decision of whether I will get 17 in. or 18 in. wheels. John told me the selection of 18 in. tires is much better, but I would really rather stick with 17 in. wheels. Are there any other factors that I should consider when choosing a size? I will most likely just get aftermarket wheels, either 18x10s or 17x10.5s. I already have long studs installed on the car, so adding spacers if necessary shouldn't be a problem. Of course I would love to find a set of 17x11 CCWs for sale, but I don't think that will happen.
roostmeyer

--
01 Dec 2012 10:46 AM
Check out forgestar wheels, should run a little over $350 a wheel. Unfortunately they're only available in 18" and larger sizes. I've seen a few corvettes racing on them, so I don't think they're complete junk.

CCW's are another option of course. I've seen sets go for around a grand for beat up track wheels. Just keep in mind aluminum parts are going to fatigue.
CP Thunder
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
23 Dec 2012 12:40 AM
I have two sets of 17x11 American Racing Torque Thrust IIs..........7 inch backspace...........I plan on running the A6 315x35x17s on them when I get the car done (again). It will be an HPDE car too and not just solo.

I think you can find a new set of those for less than $1200 pretty easy. ARW advertises them as 'rear only' on the 99-04 Mustangs. Of course, they won't fit the front without a good amount of fender modification.
kpgubert

--
03 Jan 2013 11:53 PM
Thanks for the information!

I would really like to stick with 17 in. wheels and not switch to 18s. I will check into those wheels you mentioned, but I will probably wind up going with a cheap set of 17x10.5s. I'm pretty sure I will be able to run them without any body modification up front, there is an ESP SN95 in my region which they run 17x11 CCWs on. Of course I will probably have to run ~1/2 in. spacers.
CP Thunder
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
04 Jan 2013 01:03 AM
kpgubert wrote:
47CP wrote:

There are 16" wheels that fit over Cobra brakes, but I have no idea if that would help your combo. .

Who makes these 16" wheels that would clear the brakes? I have heard mention of this before, but I thought it was just talk.

I ran 16x12 REAL wheels over my Cobra brakes but had to shave the 'fins' on the top of the calipers for clearance. Just keep an eye on the calipers for 'splaying'. Autox doesn't kill brake equipment like road racing does so I wasn't too concerned about them. They guy who bought my car put Wilwoods on and thats what it came back to me with.......(avatar was a CP racecar before it went AIX)

kpgubert

--
04 Jan 2013 02:51 PM
I have seen some really fast prepared cars running bias tires on 16 in. wheels, but mainly because bias tires seem to be a bit of a dying breed I'll probably go with R-comps for the time being.

Thanks for that bit of information! Since I do some open tracking with this car (when I have spare time and money... Haha) I would rather not shave the cooling fins off. Unless anyone thinks it's a very bad idea, I will run 17x10.5s with either 315/35 or 295/35 A6s.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner