Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Mhyrr
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
18 Sep 2009 07:48 PM
    Just curious if anyone has done the 19.5" conversion on a truck they tow with? How are the changes? Are there any speed limitations while towing? General impressions?
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    19 Sep 2009 07:43 AM
    Having operated Snap-On trucks with 19.5's, they are f'en HEAVY. Also, if you pop one, finding a replacement is more complicated and actually the R&R can't be done on most conventional tire machines. Ride, handling, and braking will suffer as well.
    anon

--
    20 Sep 2009 10:56 AM

19.5s are true medium-duty truck tires - like what comes stock on the Ford F-450/550/650 size trucks and some semi-trucks.

One would expect 19.5s to get much longer treadlife and mileage and higher load capacity than conventional LT tires. On-road traction should be equivalent, but it will be harder to find high-traction, off-road, 'mudder' type tread in the 19.5 size. 19.5s will be more expensive, and one probably won't find them at your corner NTB/Goodyear/Firestone tire shop - only at heavy truck tire shops.

The sidewalls of 19.5s will be MUCH stiffer & shorter than in conventional LT tires, which will contribute to a much firmer/stiffer ride. I'm not sure about speed rating differences, but I can't image 19.5 tires would have dramatically lower speed ratings. If you're hauling a +10,000 pound load with your race car, tools, trailer, etc... you're asking for an accident going much over 80mph anyway, due to the stopping distance required & the idiots that play in traffic these days.

I've considered going with 19.5s on my 3/4 ton Dodge/Cummins Ram, but haven't had the $$ to do this yet. I'm thoroughly dissatisfied with the ride of my 265/75/r16 Bridgestone Dueler Revo tires, because I feel the tire sidewall 'squirm' under cornering. They feel really floaty and disconnected - kinda like riding in an old-school Caddy, Buick, or Lincoln. I don't like that one bit. The Duelers have much better wet, mud, and snow traction than the Michellin LTX M/S that they replaced.... but the LTX ride was firmer and not 'squirmy'.

My Ram felt like it had near sporty-car handling with the LTXs. The Revos completely changed the ride characteristics for the worse. Both LTXs and Revos were E load rated. Go figure...

Rickson Wheel Manufacturing (http://www.ricksontruck.com/) has a lot of information for making the change to 19.5s. They claim tire mileage life increases between 2-4 times, which helps justify the higher tire prices.

chpmnsws6

--
    25 Sep 2009 11:00 PM

We have them on our 1999 Dodge Ram Quad Cab. They ride about the same as a standard highway tire with about the same traction. We used to be able to get to the back of the barn in 2wd with a normal AT truck tire, but we now have to lock it into 4wd if dew is present on the ground. They will last the lifetime of the truck as long as your alignment is correct and suspension is up to spec. We actually have left-overs from the UPS trucks winter tire selection.

You drive a large truck, you will be adding heavy tires, so if you do not already, slow down early, softly, and watch out for the little cars around you. That being said, we have towed on the highway with a deadline, and have done 85+ unloaded without an issue, though I do not advise it as it'd look like a train wreck with even the most minor mishap. Get the aluminum rims that are drilled for the normal trucks. Spacers/adapters just add that much more wear to your wheel bearings.

Replacement tires are simple to find, you just don't go to the car/truck shops. Semi repair shops should point you in the right direction, but that is also why you carry a full size spare :)

You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner