Full ECU replacement
 5 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cdlong

--
14 Nov 2011 11:20 AM
    The ECU rules in SP are vague enough that I think this might be ok, but it doesn't go into any specifics as to how you can modify the ECU like in ST. It says alternate modules can be used when you can modify other parts of the system, but I'd imagine there are other functions of a stock ECU that are off limits. My car is pretty basic, a '95 240sx, so it doesn't have traction control or stability control or anything like that. So is it ok across the board to run an aftermarket ECU like an AEM, is it car specific based on what it controls, and how to I figure that out/prove it, or is it not allowed at all?
    DrJones_CMR
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    14 Nov 2011 11:53 AM
    From what i understand you can replace the ecu. It shouldn't need to retain a functional ABS or Stability/traction control since these can all be disabled electronicly in the rules. But you can't modify those systems (e.g. take out the abs system).
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    14 Nov 2011 12:23 PM
    If the ABS and stability control are stand alone OPTIONS, I think the rules would allow removal.
    cdlong

--
    14 Nov 2011 01:57 PM
    ABS was an option and ESC wasn't available on the car. But what I'm thinking of is the electric radiator fan kicks on with the AC and is controlled by the ECU. Both can be modified so that's a bad example, but I'm not inclined to read the entire FSM to find everything the ECU has control of looking for a dome light control or something that can't be modified.
    JBrettHowell

--
    14 Nov 2011 02:01 PM
    Oh great...now everyone is going to think they have to disable their dome light in order to be competitive...rules creep! ;)
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    14 Nov 2011 06:11 PM
    JBrettHowell wrote:
    Oh great...now everyone is going to think they have to disable their dome light in order to be competitive...rules creep! ;)

Hey !!! Come on. The dome light loads the battery, and that loads the alternator, and THAT saps horsepower. Competitive advantage. See? Easy button !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner