What Class for my Z28
 4 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
NBM LS1 M6

--
30 Dec 2000 08:08 AM
    Just curious if anyone would care to voice an educated opinion regarding what national SCCA class I should run my car (described below).
    I am also interested in any input on future modifications I might make to make the car more competitive.

I am currently running the car in the local CSCC Street Modified class. This class is a run what you brung anything goes as long as the car runs on DOT tires and not on slicks class. The class includes everything from modified Corvettes to a modified CSP RX-3. In the future I am planning on engine modifications and some more fine tuning of the suspension setup.

Bob Hempy
    Sopac CSCC GRA
    SM #27

Navy Blue Metallic 1998 Z28 M6; Leather; T-tops;
    !CAGS; Borla; B&M Ripper; Free Ram Air; Lorena
    Bobbit !EGR; B&M PS cooler; Whisper Lid; K&N;
    Eibach Prokit; Koni DAs; KBDDSFCs; BMR STB; 1LE
    rear LCAs; GW LCA relocation brackets; IRS tubular
    PHR; 32/19 1LE sway bars; GW Traclink; 1LE tranny
    mount; SLP take-off Torsen; Torco GL-6; Slotted
    camber adjustments for -2.2 degrees negative camber;
    16"X9.5" Corvette wheels & Kumho V700 Victoracers.

[This message has been edited by NBM LS1 M6 (edited December 30, 2000).]
    CamaroFS34
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Dec 2000 08:42 AM
    I would keep it in SM, as a lot of the modifications that probably put you there to begin with would have you in CP. If you're car is not a dedicated CP car (or EM), then Nationally, you will not be able to do well. Karl Witt has a very nice SM LS1 Camaro Z28, a 1998, if I'm not mistaken. He gave Kent Rafferty a run for his money several times, so the car is competitive in the class.

Karen Kraus
    1996 Camaro Z28 1LE (FS34)

------------------
    "You never get away, you only get someplace else" -- Lovka's Dilemma
    NBM LS1 M6

--
    30 Dec 2000 10:12 AM
    For the record. . . I'm not planning on running the car for serious competition at other than local events where I can continue to run in SM.

However, I might like to participate in the National Tour event when it comes to town (San Diego) in March. I assume I can run the car in SM, and I won't be hassled unless I begin to "win?"

I don't want to beat a dead horse to death, but I felt like I kinda got slammed a bit when I mentioned my mods on RobG's F-body autox list and running in SM. As everyone around F-bodies knows, the first two mods below are very common and popular mods. People told me (after the fact) any of the mods listed below put one in EM. BTW, is the car legal in CP? No one runs in either CP or EM locally, so no points either.

If you looked at the mods carefully, as I understand it, the triangulated Kenny Brown subframe connectors, the Global West rear lower control arm relocation brackets, and the machined camber slots are all illegal in ESP as well as national SM. Unfortunately, none of these mods were done with a primary motivation of improved handling in mind.

I installed the SFCs with 1K on the car new to maintain the long term integrity of the chassis and avoid rattles from the T-tops. This was done before my first ever autox event. I installed the GW rear LCA relocation brackets to restore the suspension geometry after lowering the car with Eibachs (also before my first autox). At this point, I'm thinking about straight rate springs, i.e., the GW coilover and rear weight jacking system, in the near future. Slotting the camber adjustments was an inexpensive quick fix that made up for the camber challenged Camaro suspension that wears out Kumhos on the outside edge. At least that was my experience. Since I was already illegal in ESP and national SM, there was no reason I saw to prevent me from modding further into CP or EM. I will say one thing. . . the car seems to handle very neutral now. It's the driver who can't keep up with former SCCA Solo2 national champions Guy Ankeny in his Corvette or Tom Berry in his CSP RX-3 in our local SM class. SCCAForums Image

Bob
    Dave Schotz
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Dec 2000 10:23 AM
    Bob, Subframe connectors, and the rest of that sound ok to me, for SM rules. As for Guy, and Tom whoopin ya in SM, those cars are not legal in SM, under current classification. So, That shouldn't be an issue, also, current SM also discusses that they don't condone petty protests... now that is a whole different subject, on what defines petty... But I recommend you run SM, and just have fun!
    Dave
    NBM LS1 M6

--
    30 Dec 2000 11:16 AM
    Thanks. BTW. . . great new forum.

------------------
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Bob Hempy
    NBM 1998 Z28 M6
    PGM 1995 Z28 A4
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner