Sunoco 468x60 Banner
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 30 Jan 2012 12:42 PM by  NJ Drive
2012 Will See Big Changes For the NNJR-SCCA!!!
 21 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
honda93
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
23 Nov 2011 11:48 AM

There will be a plethora of changes in store for the 2012 season and while every detail cannot be revealed just yet, here is a glimpse of what is being done to help improve the NNJR-SCCA Solo program for everyone from novice to expert...

First and foremost, in response to the economic climate crippling the nation and growing national interest in Street Tire classes (not to be confused with Street Touring classes), we have decided to give it a try. Some of our decisions were based on the success of neighboring regions in addition to "experiments" conducted on the national level. We feel these classes have great potential to be well-subscribed and provide competitors an opportunity to have fun without the short and long-term costs associated with feeding an R-Compound tire budget. While the argument could be made that street tires could cost someone just as much, we felt there is enough data out there justifying this move.

• Street Tire Stock, with an additional PAX modifier (most likely .975) on top of a classes respective PAX index will be in place to allow competitors who wish to run in Stock on something other than R-Compounds a place to compete. The additional PAX modifier will allow an individual to still be competitive in year-end Driver Championships despite the fact that lap times obviously suffer between street tires and their R-Compound counterparts.
    • Street Tire Street Prepared, with an additional PAX modifier (most likely .980) on top of a classes respective PAX index will be in place to allow competitors who wish to run in Street Prepared on something other than R-Compounds a place to compete. The additional PAX modifier will allow an individual to still be competitive in year-end Driver Championships despite the fact that lap times obviously suffer between street tires and their R-Compound counterparts.
    • From 2012 onward, the PRO class will be eliminated. All competitors will now run within their respective classes.

Also, the region will be hosting its own novice autocross schools again after a long absence. Dates will follow.

Lastly, for now, we are trying to coordinate schedules with other regions to eliminate overlap as much as possible. While it would be fantastic to race all weekend, every weekend, the realities of life prevent this. We are actively seeking to arrange the schedule so if a region has an event on Sunday, they will most likely be the only game in town that weekend. While this may result in additional travel for someone on an individual basis, making such an effort on a regional level can help bolster attendance and finances for a regional Solo program and keep that program going so we actually have places to satisfy our "need for speed".

More information will follow and in the meantime, have a safe holiday season and winter!

s1mpsons
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    23 Nov 2011 12:35 PM
    There seems to have been a lot of thought and collaboration within the core group of NNJR workers to refine the rule set and program for 2012. I think the new classes, along with the elimination of the Pro class, will help create a more competitive environment for every driver - but especially novices who used to have to battle on R-Comp indexes - and create a better overall autox experience. I can't wait!

-Jake
    www.HamfistRacing.com
    jasyatz

--
    23 Nov 2011 09:41 PM
    Thanks Jake, we hope so also...

Bring on the spring!!..

Happy Thanksgiving..

Jeff
    autox4u

--
    24 Nov 2011 01:49 PM
    Another feature we will be implementing in 2012 is "Live Timing", as seen at National events. The computer will be connected to the web and as the time and penalty is shown in the computer it can also be seen online, so you can see how your competition is doing after each run as well..

We can thank Mark L for working on this project..

Perry
    IanF
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Nov 2011 01:22 PM
    I suggest calling the Street Tire Prepared class Prepared/Modified or something. In Philly last year, I noticed a lot of Street Mod guys who got confused and pre-registered their cars in Street Tire Stock.
    s1mpsons
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Nov 2011 02:05 PM
    autox4u wrote:
    Another feature we will be implementing in 2012 is "Live Timing", as seen at National events. The computer will be connected to the web and as the time and penalty is shown in the computer it can also be seen online, so you can see how your competition is doing after each run as well..

Perry

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

TedDBere
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Nov 2011 02:22 PM
    Man, I miss the lots in the NE....

Great changes, now get an FM radio transmitter and all will be complete!
    autox4u

--
    28 Nov 2011 04:06 PM
    We are looking into the FM transmitter also, we will only get it if you come back Scott..
    Sho Torii
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Nov 2011 08:51 PM
    autox4u wrote:

Perry

Jeez, another reason to replace my "dumb" phone with a smart phone!

mr2nv

--
    29 Nov 2011 10:57 AM
    Great ideas for the classes and live timing. It is disappointing to hear that you may be considering these scheduling changes that would make it so that there is only one autocross per weekend. I can understand coordinating with the other clubs in the region so that there aren't two events on the same day, but to deliberately coordinate so that you couldn't have an NNJR event on Saturday and an MSNE event on Sunday of the same weekend doesn't sound good to me. Like you said, "the realities of life"...well, maybe some people might have to work one weekend day or have something else scheduled for one of those days. If you limit it to one event per weekend per region, you are limiting those people from coming out on their free day.

If you care about the sport as a whole and the region as a whole, then why would you do something that would limit participation as a whole? I understand that you represent NNJR here and would want to be the only game in town on said weekend, but changes like this should not be made for the benefit of the few that might say, "oh, I raced on Saturday with MSNE, I'm done for the weekend even though there is a NNJR event on Sun." I understand that money is tight these days and people may think twice about shelling out another $50 per weekend, but please think hard about who this policy would really be targeting.

To me, there is nothing better than a weekend during the summer of back to back autocrosses. In, NY/NJ we don't have the luxury of having a long season of nice weather to spread all these events out.

In the same sort of idea as live timing as a value added service, I've always thought it might be cool to have some sort of split time system. My idea would be to take a particularly difficult or interesting section of the course and have timers on it. For most people, who don't have data logging, I think it would be a nice bonus to be able to see how you're doing through a particular part of the course throughout the day. It can also be used as a basis for some type of award or recognition for being the fastest car through that section of the course. I haven't really thought about the technical ramifications of this, but I'll just put it out there.

Matt
    s1mpsons
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    29 Nov 2011 11:18 AM
    I agree with Matt regarding nixing the one-event-per-weekend coordination. I find it very helpful for tuning (both driver & car) to stay in the autox mind-set for the entire weekend. I don't mind running NNJR Meadowlands one day and Philly the next, and I know other do too. In this game it is all about SEAT TIME. Drivers that want to get good need weekend double-headers to hone skills. As long as Solo programs aren't losing substantial amounts of money we should keep it up!
    autox4u

--
    29 Nov 2011 04:00 PM
    I will not be eliminating the NNJR Sat events and run somewhere else sunday. There are some weekends where there is NNJR-SCCA on Sat and either MSNE or PCA on Sunday. In fact in April & May I see 3 Sat and Sun weekends to stay at the Meadowlands.
    ComBIRDable
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    14 Jan 2012 08:41 AM

A couple of questions...

What class letters do I need for "Street Tire Stock" class? I'm in D-stock normally.

How many drops will there be in 2012? I'm trying to figure out if I can make a run for a year-end trophy.

Thanks,

Scott

autox4u

--
    17 Jan 2012 06:21 PM
    Hey Scott, we'll be using "ST" for the street tire classes. There will be 2 Paxed groups, one for stock cars and one for Street prepared cars..

Hope to see you this season.

So in your case, you would have "st DS "

Perry
    ComBIRDable
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    18 Jan 2012 11:02 AM

Thanks, Perry. I hope to make it up to a few events this season.

Scott

e_bomb

--
    27 Jan 2012 10:57 AM
    another big change is the brand new website, which will launch very soon. lots of great new features and a fresh design that is guaranteed to please.

i'm really excited for the live timing and FM radio transmitter. as an engineer, i love data!

matt's idea for the split timer is really good. not sure if we have enough equipment for it, and running the wires might interfere with the course. maybe a wireless setup?

-evan
    arctik

--
    29 Jan 2012 08:55 PM
    Looking forward to coming to a few events this year - Especially the novice training!

In the processes of finishing this off and getting it registered in NJ. Any idea on what class etc this will end up in?

autox4u

--
    29 Jan 2012 09:18 PM
    That would run in AM.. What engine is in it?
    arctik

--
    30 Jan 2012 06:09 AM
    It's a v mildly tweaked LSJ.
    rtp.rick
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Jan 2012 08:02 AM
    autox4u wrote:
    Hey Scott, we'll be using "ST" for the street tire classes. There will be 2 Paxed groups, one for stock cars and one for Street prepared cars..

Hope to see you this season.

So in your case, you would have "st DS "

Perry

I'd strongly suggest you not use "ST" for the Street Tire classes. Folks already have a hard time with Street Tire and Street Touring. I'd propose you simply use a "T" before the regular class letters. Axware, among other kinds of scoring software, has no issue with keeping everything separate that way.

H's & K's,
    Rick Ruth

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner