Solar charger?
 2 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
lswilson9

--
26 Nov 2011 04:10 PM

Any recommendations for a solar trickle battery charger?

We have a couple of 12 V lawn tractor batteries we use to power the large format timer display (Solo events.)

I'd like to leave the batteries in the equipment truck and stop lugging them home between events. :)

The ones I've found all seem 'cheaply' made. :(

Thanks, - Lindsay - Colorado Springs, CO

Scoob
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Nov 2011 09:35 AM
    Two options:
    1. Go to Harbor Freight and buy a few of theirs. Cheaply made but good price.
    2. Go to the local marine or trailer supply store (or website) and buy a few there. Maybe more expensive and maybe better build quality.

I guess you only need a 1 to 5 watt panel for each.
    vreihen16

--
    30 Nov 2011 08:07 PM
    Many of the small ones were intended to be thrown on the dashboard of a closed car and plugged into the lighter socket during long-term storage, and thus are not waterproof. Buyer comments on the cheap red-framed Harbor Freight solar panel mention success at using it outdoors after sealing it with clear caulking. I bought one planning to charge the winch battery in my trailer between events, but decided that it was easier to pull an extension cord to the trailer and leave it (and the car) on trickle charge all the time.

At one point, I was considering a full-sized solar panel for the roof of our region's equipment trailer to charge a few car batteries, and then running all of the equipment off of 12 volts instead of running a generator. Never got around to it, though.....
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner