You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
mwood
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
26 Nov 2011 07:23 PM

I'm looking at small trailers for a new (to me) Formula Ford. The car is 69" wide, 144" long and weighs around 950lb.

Keeping it simple, seems like going with a simple utility type trailer would work, particularly if I custom order it (that way I can get stuff like a drop axle and a single front rail, which aren't the typical build).

Here's the question: I've been thinking 12' bed, given I want the trailer to easily fit in my garage and to be as light as possible (given it is an angle iron economy job). But, a local dealer suggested I might have problems getting weight distributed optimally without the extra 2' a 14' trailer would provide (given the car is 12').

Thoughts?

Kurt Williams

--
    26 Nov 2011 07:42 PM
    I have seen where the tongue is hinged, allowing you the extra two feet and also the ability to fit in the garage.
    hklvette
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Nov 2011 07:49 PM
    What's the weight distribution of a FF? You want the trailer's CG to be in front of the axle, or you could easily have problems with trailer sway. If the car's weight distribution is such that ~10% of the trailer's weight is on the tongue, you shouldn't have any problems.
    barryott

--
    26 Nov 2011 07:54 PM

If you can get the dimensions of 12' trailer, you can probably calculate where the car needs to sit for a good tonque weight, and then figure out if the location is ok. It would just be an approximation, but probably close enough. Figure the front wheels carry about 350# and the rears carry about 600#. Wheel base of 96" or so. Shoot for a tonque weight of 15% of the total or maybe a little less, I've use ~12% for the trailers I've made. Don't forget to *not* count the axle weight in you total weight (~200# or so). Ideally, you could measure the unloaded tongue weight, then just figure out where the car needs to sit.

.....just a thought from a geek mech. eng. :-)

Barry

mwood
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    26 Nov 2011 08:13 PM

I did find the web site page linked below which gives dimensions for one of the generic manufacturers I'm considering.

http://www.bigtextrailers.com/pdf/30sa.pdf

The weight difference (12' vs 14') is much less than I had imagined, at 90lb, so that isn't a deal breaker. The garage space aspect isn't really a big deal, either...the 12' just gives more walkaround between the refrig and trailer in the smaller 3rd car slot I have scoped out for the car/trailer.

Sounds like 14' may be the way to go, but if the 12' would work safely, I'd still prefer to go that route. ??

Any thoughts on trying to go with a 6' vs 6.5' width? Hey, if I'm going small, I want to go SMALL ;-)

barryott

--
    26 Nov 2011 08:44 PM

The narrower the trailer, the tougher it is to load the car. You don't have much room to steer the car to get the back wheels in the right place so you'll need to line it up really well before you roll it on. Not that big a deal, but a little inconvenient.

B

mwood
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    26 Nov 2011 11:21 PM

Yeah, if I'm buying a new trailer, might as well go with the 6'5" width.

I'm also starting to think about keeping the funky looking side rails that are standard on the utility type trailers. My thought is that, in conjunction with a wider deck, it allows options for carrying stuff like pop ups, fuel and other items that can be securely strapped to the rails...emphasis on "securely"! Plus, if I decide to sell, the trailer will be more attractive to ATV/Snowmobile guys and landscapers ;-)

S2kTas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Nov 2011 10:41 AM
    H & H Trailers builds these rail side type of trailers to order and they come in sizes ranging from 12 to 20 feet in length, with width sizes from 76" to 82"

http://www.hhtrailer.com/aluminum.html

If you are interested in more info or a quote.....the H&H dealer that I have bought my last two trailers from is Croft Rental Center here in Kansas City Kansas.

"Keith Kaufman" <keith@croftrental.com>

913-334-5000

Joe
    atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    27 Nov 2011 02:04 PM
    Mike, if you have it made to spec, a 12' would be just fine and they can put the axles where you need them. I like 15% tongue. It will follow you very well. Personally, I like the security of an enclosed as it keeps the curious kids away.... sort of.
    Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    27 Nov 2011 02:49 PM
    atcovan wrote:
    Personally, I like the security of an enclosed as it keeps the curious kids away.... sort of.

Wouldn't we all . . .

Dick

CM with open trailer and wimpy tow vehicle and tight budget

vreihen16

--
    27 Nov 2011 03:36 PM
    As others have pointed out, having 10% of the weight on the tongue is important to keeping the trailer straight behind your tow vehicle. If you want to go short on the bed, just make sure that the trailer is built in such a way that the axle/fenders can easily be relocated when you discover the balance is off.

The previous owners of my FV towed it on a *tiny* trailer that was barely the length of the wheelbase. During their first tow, they discovered the 10% tongue weight rule. Their solution was to load the car onto the trailer backwards, so the engine was near the tongue. The trailer was too short to drive onto, so you might want to plan for a winch as well.

I second the recommendation of an enclosed trailer if you have the place to park one outdoors. It doesn't cut into your garage space at all, and you can leave your tools and other gear in the trailer between events for a quick hitch-and-go on the weekends.....
    mwood
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    27 Nov 2011 10:45 PM
    ^funny you say that, about enclosed. After looking at my options, that does seem to make the most sense. We have room for one and I like the idea of being able to keep the car and gear "self contained". Only thing, I sold my Suburban, because the wife wanted some pos Lexus SUV, so I'd have to get another tow vehicle for local stuff (just use the RV for multi day events). Should be able to find a good 1/2 ton pick up easily enough.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Nov 2011 10:42 AM

Both my trailer and Marks trailer are 10'... And barely wide enough to get the tires past the fenders. I wouldn't want bigger.

Boxologist
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    29 Nov 2011 02:44 PM
    http://www.bruntonauto.com/trailers...ilers.htm, something similar is what u should be looking for.
    RX7 KLR
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    29 Nov 2011 03:20 PM

A snowmobile trailer might be a good option for a small mod car.

Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Nov 2011 04:36 PM
    RX7 KLR wrote:

A snowmobile trailer might be a good option for a small mod car.

For CM they are too short afaik but the manufacturers make larger custom ones. Bring money.

RX7 KLR
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    29 Nov 2011 05:45 PM
    DickR wrote:

For CM they are too short afaik but the manufacturers make larger custom ones. Bring money.

Based on Mike's question about a 12' trailer, I would think the 12' snowmobile trailer would be long enough.

Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    30 Nov 2011 09:20 AM

My CM (1985 Van Diemen) is 150 inches tip of nose to tip of tail.

Note also that the typical snowmobile trailer appears to use 10 inch wheels. I don't know how well that works in summer weather at freeway speeds.

There are various sources for custom made snowmobile style trailers. Bring $$$. http://www.montrosetrailers.com/ The enclosed version I want is about $10K (oops).

Dick

Scootin159
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Nov 2011 09:49 AM
    How hard would it be to build a clamshell like that for a standard open trailer? Seems something like that (even if it was just pull on/off with something like hood pins for fastening) would be a cheap & easy way to "enclose" an open trailer for a minimal weight penalty.
    pru
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Nov 2011 10:24 AM
    Scootin159 wrote:
    How hard would it be to build a clamshell like that for a standard open trailer? Seems something like that (even if it was just pull on/off with something like hood pins for fastening) would be a cheap & easy way to "enclose" an open trailer for a minimal weight penalty.

Check out the ApexSpeed thread May '10: Open or Enclosed Trailer. Post #14 contains a link to a photo of Barry Ott's old FF trailer which I find to be one of the best designs I have seen in this regard...

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner