You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 7 << < 12345 > >>
Author Messages
splash
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
15 Dec 2011 03:08 PM

He meant that his springs were relatively soft and bars relatively large by comparison to what the "formula" is..
Sebastian R.
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
15 Dec 2011 07:22 PM
Just giving James a hard time...
StreetTireStock

--
16 Dec 2011 07:58 AM
Sebastian R. wrote:
StreetTireStock wrote:

Funny, that's exactly the opposite setup I had on my '02 WRX. But I would have definitely replaced the rear VLSD, as I remember recommending to a Sebastian 6 or 7 years ago ;)

Exactly the opposite really? So you had no camber, no rear toe and soft springs on your STX car in '10? And yes, after changing the rear diff in my WRX handling was dramatically improved, too bad the trans died for the second time not long afterwards.

Yes. :)

-2.9 deg camber, zero toe front and rear, 8K/6K springs, standard aftermarket sway bars. 7.5" wheels. Very ho-hum. But very easy to drive!

MikeSS

--
16 Dec 2011 11:38 AM
I might try my 2010 Cobalt SS if i dont sell it this spring for an S2000. There is a lack of a good tune, and good aftermakrket parts for the car but it might be fun to try.
TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
17 Dec 2011 01:30 PM
1968 Chevrolet Camaro SS302
mitchman
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
17 Dec 2011 02:18 PM
What's changed with the WRX for 2008 that's made it more competitive over the previous generation?
Paxman
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
17 Dec 2011 03:43 PM

I quickly looked back a few pages and saw nothing; has anyone mentioned/considered what a well set up Mini S might do here?

Certainly one of the lighter cars in STX for next year.

StreetTireStock

--
17 Dec 2011 04:32 PM
mitchman wrote:
What's changed with the WRX for 2008 that's made it more competitive over the previous generation?

Stiffer chassis, same weight, double-wishbone rear suspension. Reliability improvements.

TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
17 Dec 2011 05:59 PM
The 2008 is a completely different chassis model, I wouldn't be surprised if certain people didn't recognize this

it's also 4.4" longer overall, 3.7" longer wheelbase, and 1.4" taller (OE trim)

the engine hp &amp; tq peaks are lower (400 &amp; 800 rpm respectively), yet in factory trim it ran identical performance times (5.7s 0-60, 14.4 -1/4)

Subaru claimed the sedan was 50# lighter than the prior model (100# decrease for the 5-dr)
race2win
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
17 Dec 2011 08:51 PM

I'm taking the lighter-and-narrower-is-better approach to STX next year with an E30 325i BMW. It will be a little under-tired due to it's small fenders, but that never seemed to hurt the Civics ;-)

Matthew Huizing wrote:
I mainly wonder about the lighter cars. Maybe a 1991 318i? It almost seems disconnected from the rest of the class as far as specifications, but it is not far off from a Civic/Miata. It could probably utilize those special Toyos.

I used to own one of those cars, a rare non-sunroof version. Very cool car &amp; light on it's feet compared to all other 3-Series BMWs, however it has NO torque, &amp; even though it would be light by STX standards, it would still be heavy by ST Civic standards...meaning the Toyos may not have any advantage.

murphyslaww

--
17 Dec 2011 08:58 PM

I think someone may be bringing scales to our yearly inspection get-together. I'll see what mine weighs in current Auto-x trim. If I had to guess, I think it's probably pretty close to 3,000.

I think they listed it at 3142, and I'm thinking I take out about 170 ish lbs, at a 1/4 tank.

Jury's still out on doing seats. This is my Daily, but I put up with the sparco Sprint for almost a year in the BMW.

jzr
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
18 Dec 2011 12:27 AM
TeamRX8 wrote:
1968 Chevrolet Camaro SS302

Madness! A '67 might work, but a '68, no way... ;-)

Looking forward to running the class, haven't been there since 2004, when like a hipster, I campaigned a Civic "before it was cool". It is like ST's island of misfit toys.

mwood
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
18 Dec 2011 01:02 AM

No such thing as a "SS302", too. The DZ302 was only for first gen Z28's.

BigEnos
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
18 Dec 2011 09:00 AM
The RPO that gave you the 302 "DZ" was Z28. Also included the 12-bold positraction rear and all sorts of interesting options like tubular long-tube headers and disk brakes on all 4 corners.
StreetTireStock

--
18 Dec 2011 10:29 AM
murphyslaww wrote:

I think someone may be bringing scales to our yearly inspection get-together. I'll see what mine weighs in current Auto-x trim. If I had to guess, I think it's probably pretty close to 3,000.

I think they listed it at 3142, and I'm thinking I take out about 170 ish lbs, at a 1/4 tank.

Jury's still out on doing seats. This is my Daily, but I put up with the sparco Sprint for almost a year in the BMW.

My 2011 lists as 3208lbs, and in D Stock trim weighs 3019lbs in it's lightest configuration...sometimes I would run with the full exhaust just because I was too lazy to remove it or when the weather was poor. My 2002 was ~2950 or ~2930 with stock seats and full exhaust, target 2900lbs. But it was wingless (factory) and a very early '02 model.

cmt52663
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
18 Dec 2011 11:26 AM
Paxman wrote:

I quickly looked back a few pages and saw nothing; has anyone mentioned/considered what a well set up Mini S might do here?

Certainly one of the lighter cars in STX for next year.

I run one ('04 Works) in NER, against the RX8 and BMW 330 ci. It weighs 2,530 without me in it at a quarter tank. Coming back for 2012 I've decided to run asymmetrical rims to get more rubber out front, and a tune aimed at about 185+ Dynajet whp (currently at about 170).

At present it's a fairly serious build with a Quaife, good coil-overs, good camber, and a Turner Motorsport setup.

Not surprisingly at the Regional level it boils down to driver. The car PAX's around 20th with me in it, and if you put one of our National level drivers in it then it can get near the top 10. Capable enough, but I honestly wouldn't pick it for a serious National level effort.

The Ogburns might feel differently (Dave, and David). David's newer (turbo) Works MCS has done well out of the DC Region I think. Here's a bit of news of their efforts. Dave the younger was formidable in Virginia, and mid pack at Lincoln in 2010 in the Mini, (but of course took a jacket this year in A Stock!). I do not think they are running the Mini any more...

Cheers,

Charlie

TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
18 Dec 2011 12:09 PM
Whatever you want to call Mr Peabody's Way-Way-Back Machine is fine with me

I can only hope that it obliterates the class and becomes the car to have, that would be so awesome.
mwood
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
18 Dec 2011 01:18 PM
TeamRX8 wrote:
Whatever you want to call Mr Peabody's Way-Way-Back Machine is fine with me

I can only hope that it obliterates the class and becomes the car to have, that would be so awesome.

LOL

Yeah, at least no one can complain that it uses a non emissions compliant ECU ;-)

mwood
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
18 Dec 2011 01:21 PM
BigEnos wrote:
The RPO that gave you the 302 "DZ" was Z28. Also included the 12-bold positraction rear and all sorts of interesting options like tubular long-tube headers and disk brakes on all 4 corners.

Disc brakes only on the '69 car, iirc.

Chambered exhaust delivered in the trunk...one of the first "trunk kits"

Boss 302 kicked its axx, however...both on street and on track :-)

jzr
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
18 Dec 2011 01:36 PM
No DZ in '67, just a parts bin 302
Chambered exhaust was a factory-installed option
Headers, cowl plenum intake, and later dual-carb induction were trunk kit options, not ST legal, unless our stance on trunk kits changes some day (MS-R anyone?)

Lots of wacky stuff available in '69 (including 4-wheel disc) but anything later than a '67 will have to run a smog pump and heater in ST, and thus have at least 40lbs. more on the nose than my car will.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 7 << < 12345 > >>

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner