Charlie Davis
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
18 Dec 2011 09:53 PM
jzr wrote:
No DZ in '67, just a parts bin 302
Chambered exhaust was a factory-installed option
Headers, cowl plenum intake, and later dual-carb induction were trunk kit options, not ST legal, unless our stance on trunk kits changes some day (MS-R anyone?)

Lots of wacky stuff available in '69 (including 4-wheel disc) but anything later than a '67 will have to run a smog pump and heater in ST, and thus have at least 40lbs. more on the nose than my car will.

So, cold air intake, but stock intake from OE carb on down... What was the OE carb? Were there jetting options?

tkm
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
18 Dec 2011 10:27 PM
cmt52663 wrote:
Paxman wrote:

I quickly looked back a few pages and saw nothing; has anyone mentioned/considered what a well set up Mini S might do here?

Certainly one of the lighter cars in STX for next year.

I run one ('04 Works) in NER, against the RX8 and BMW 330 ci. It weighs 2,530 without me in it at a quarter tank. Coming back for 2012 I've decided to run asymmetrical rims to get more rubber out front, and a tune aimed at about 185+ Dynajet whp (currently at about 170).

At present it's a fairly serious build with a Quaife, good coil-overs, good camber, and a Turner Motorsport setup.

Not surprisingly at the Regional level it boils down to driver. The car PAX's around 20th with me in it, and if you put one of our National level drivers in it then it can get near the top 10. Capable enough, but I honestly wouldn't pick it for a serious National level effort.

The Ogburns might feel differently (Dave, and David). David's newer (turbo) Works MCS has done well out of the DC Region I think. Here's a bit of news of their efforts. Dave the younger was formidable in Virginia, and mid pack at Lincoln in 2010 in the Mini, (but of course took a jacket this year in A Stock!). I do not think they are running the Mini any more...

Cheers,

Charlie

The Type R in STX trim is lighter by about 100lbs. However, both will get demolished in STX because they can't fit a large enough tire up front (and in the rain...forget about it).

Too bad all STX FWD cars didn't get moved in with the Civics. Would have made a bit more sense given the drivetrain layouts and I doubt anyone would have been upset, because it's not like any FWD cars have successfully tried STX in a few years.

jzr
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
18 Dec 2011 10:28 PM
780cfm Holley, which is probably better for autocross than the dual 600's. Jetting is a long story - short version is it's not a make-or-break sort of thing.

But I thought this thread was about the car to pick for STX, not pre-moon-landing clunkers?
IntrigueGX
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
18 Dec 2011 10:34 PM
tkm wrote:
The Type R in STX trim is lighter by about 100lbs. However, both will get demolished in STX because they can't fit a large enough tire up front (and in the rain...forget about it).

Too bad all STX FWD cars didn't get moved in with the Civics. Would have made a bit more sense given the drivetrain layouts and I doubt anyone would have been upset, because it's not like any FWD cars have successfully tried STX in a few years.

If the DS ITRs are running 275 A6s, how can they not fit wide enough street tires? Seems like the FWD Civics were fairly successful.

tuskenraider
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
18 Dec 2011 11:43 PM
Trying to even put a 245mm wide street tire the stock 6" rim would be a mess, if not impossible, and you wouldn't even find that wide of a comptetive tire for a 15" rim anyway(205mm is about the widest available).
lowside67
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
19 Dec 2011 12:33 AM
How about a 245-35-17 R1R on the front of an STX ITR?
cmt52663
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
19 Dec 2011 04:57 AM

The Ogburn Mini was running 235s up front. If I could get a 235 in a 15" diameter I'd be a happy camper. With -2.5 degree of camber there is plenty of room up front. The back axle however will just barely take a 225. I'll probably wind up at 225/45-15 on 15x8 up front, and 205/50-15 on 15x7 out back, and even with that I agree more tire would be better.

FWD isn't bad at all in the rain, except for the 60' times in comparison to the WRX. Mine took top PAX in the rain at the 2nd Regional event (I was the only one running the R1R that day). That's what I would call an "outlying data point" however.

We now return you to the RX8, 325, WRX show...

Cheers,

Charlie

John V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
19 Dec 2011 08:21 AM
tuskenraider wrote:
Trying to even put a 245mm wide street tire the stock 6" rim would be a mess, if not impossible, and you wouldn't even find that wide of a comptetive tire for a 15" rim anyway(205mm is about the widest available).

Why would anybody run a stock 6" rim in STX?

mwood
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
19 Dec 2011 11:44 AM
John V wrote:
tuskenraider wrote:

Why would anybody run a stock 6" rim in STX?

Style points :-)

race2win
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
19 Dec 2011 01:10 PM

How about a 87-91 Fox Body Mustang 5.0 LX? I know there has been talk about potential STX builds with that car, anybody building one? Should have great power, pretty narrow, I think lots of tire would fit, pretty low weight....however, an archaic suspension design may limit it's success?

How about Terry Fair? Anyone hear if he is going to get serious about his new 5.0 Mustang &amp; bring it out on a regular basis in 2012? Should be the most powerful car on grid anyway lol!

mwood
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
19 Dec 2011 02:24 PM
race2win wrote:

How about a 87-91 Fox Body Mustang 5.0 LX? I know there has been talk about potential STX builds with that car, anybody building one? Should have great power, pretty narrow, I think lots of tire would fit, pretty low weight....however, an archaic suspension design may limit it's success?

How about Terry Fair? Anyone hear if he is going to get serious about his new 5.0 Mustang &amp; bring it out on a regular basis in 2012? Should be the most powerful car on grid anyway lol!

The last Fox body I built was an '89 notch or "trunk", ended up at 3030# with a six point cage and some stuff not legal for ST*. In STX trim, somewhere mid 2900's sounds about right. Stock, rwhp is generally around 190, so in ST* trim, maybe 225 to the wheels? Suspension is going to be big axx front spring rate and tons of static camber...

It would be fun and a great car to play around with, but I don't think it could win much...

KyleMert
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
19 Dec 2011 02:50 PM

What are peoples thoughts on the 2.0 WRX compared to the 2.5 WRX? From the different numbers I've seen (STX legal) they should be very similar at the top end of the power band with the 2.5's having a bit more down low. The 2.0L should have a slight weight advantage over the 2.5L WRX's. Will there be any reason to run the 02-05 with the 06-08 now allowed in or will it be an automatic underdog?

I'm curious on people's opinions because I'm working on my 05 this winter for next season.

lowside67
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
19 Dec 2011 03:50 PM
The 07 is also physically a bit smaller than the 08 it seems which may prove important...
TeamRX8
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
20 Dec 2011 01:55 AM
if a 2.5 outperforms a 2.0 the first thing that needs to be done is to tear down their turbo to inspect and measure the components
StreetTireStock

--
20 Dec 2011 07:19 AM
TeamRX8 wrote:
if a 2.5 outperforms a 2.0 the first thing that needs to be done is to tear down their turbo to inspect and measure the components

I forsee a great year racing with you. If an RX-8 is faster than a WRX, I recommend tearing down the Mazda engine and measuring it's pistons.

murph1379
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
20 Dec 2011 12:41 PM
StreetTireStock wrote:
RX-8.... measuring it's pistons.

lol, good luck with that... ;)

KyleMert
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
20 Dec 2011 03:50 PM
StreetTireStock wrote:
TeamRX8 wrote:

I forsee a great year racing with you. If an RX-8 is faster than a WRX, I recommend tearing down the Mazda engine and measuring it's pistons.

I believe his point is, all the WRX's (02-08) use the same turbo. The turbo is small enough that the 2.0L can run out of breath at the top end much less the 2.5L. If the 2.5L is killing the 2.0L the turbo would be the first thing to be looked at. This thought is why I haven't abandoned my plans before they really got underway.

Now if a piston is found in an RX-8 to measure I'd be sure to protest.

splash
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
21 Dec 2011 12:15 AM
As long as you remember that a 2.5 WRX has a lot less turbo lag and has slightly taller gearing...
murphyslaww

--
21 Dec 2011 12:24 AM
race2win wrote:

Terry's pushing 430hp as of last Dyno he posted, lol. I hope they don't grid him next to me at A&amp;M Riverside, that car will scare the bejeezus out of my lil' WRX.

KyleMert
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
21 Dec 2011 10:06 AM
splash wrote:
As long as you remember that a 2.5 WRX has a lot less turbo lag and has slightly taller gearing...

I didn't realize the taller gearing. What's the 2.5 top out at in 2nd gear? My 2.0 rev limits at 65mph.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 7 << < 12345 > >>

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner