Page 2 of 3 << < 123 > >>
Author Messages
johnr3

--
06 Oct 2009 04:33 AM
VerizonGuy wrote:

Hey Ron, what's up?

1.I wouldn't say volunteers have been pushed away,

2.after all I have stepped up to the plate.

3.Nobody has told me no or to get lost. In fact I have been welcome at all of the events and meetings I have gone too.

Numbered for ease.

1. I would say more drove away, I'm pretty sure I am not the only one who has switched regions or just dropped the region all together.

2.Thanks for that!!! At the same time though its what you do at the plate once you have stepped up that counts.

3. You forgot the key word YET...

I also agree with Travis wholeheartedly, I would reinstate my membership to vote Jerry or Steve in. I think that they would do whatever it took to see this region succeed, they seem of the type

that thinks failure is not a gimme.

RonConrad
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
06 Oct 2009 06:41 AM
I was RE, it's really not all that time consuming...one night a month to head up the meeting, plus any time you want to commit to it.
mavisky

--
06 Oct 2009 09:54 AM
Honestly some of the bs in the region got me to not only drop the region, but the sport all together. I needed to have a more competitive car myself, but i just grew old of all the politics of both the SCCA at large and the local region. I'm happy now with an obscenely fast weekend toy that may not be the best autox car out there, but it means I can do things my way and that makes me happier than anything.
GChambers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
06 Oct 2009 01:41 PM

I'd love to see the "good guys" in the Ft. Wayne region get things together up there. IMO, a strong Ft. Wayne Solo(and Race/Rally etc.) program benefits all of us down in Indy as well. We absolutely do welcome those who join us in Indy and are proud to have you as members but that's really not what's best for the Club or the Division.

It's sad to see how many good people in the Ft.Wayne region are so fed up with the board(or whoever) that they are willing to join regions 100 miles from home. It's just completely beyond me why the fools that cause this rift can't see why this is such a problem. If the club can't attract and retain enthusiastic, young members there is NO future. Seems to me that if the situation doesn't change soon, the Ft. Wayne region is well on it's way down that path.

If Steve, Jerry, Travis and the rest of the good people in Ft. Wayne can turn things around, I'd absolutely support you guys and make as many events as my schedule would allow. From talking to many other Indy Region members, lots of us feel the same way. The way things are now, especially after the situation with Chuck and how it was handled, many are "voting with our wallets" as one prominent Indy member put it and staying away from any and all Ft. Wayne events.

All IMHO, BTW. YMMV. Do not try this at home, Trained professional on a closed course, etc... [;)]

OneEyeMedia

--
06 Oct 2009 06:26 PM

Very good points there Geoff. An outsides perspective of things is important to. As much as you raise your baby to be a certain way, and when this baby grows up and turns into an evil monster, you still look at it as your baby, then the public shows at your house with pitch forks and stake and burning torches and all hell brakes loose...I feel this is where we are....ALL HELL NEEDS TO BRAKE LOOSE :P

Mavis - miss you for sure bro, especial the swotchhhaaa, you know what I mean. Hearing that sound of the 300 hp fwd talon on course was awesome. Between you and Chris Smith's white monster subie...hard to keep up. Fort Wayne does have bad ass talented individuals. Some HARDCORE go get'em type of people. There needs to be a board that embraces this attitude for sure. Some do - do not take that wrong, but if you got one bad apple, it ruins the batch right?

With all this talk, I wonder if there even is any members running for positions. Maybe that would be something we would have seen in the newsletter?

VerizonGuy

--
06 Oct 2009 08:39 PM

All of the talk about updating this and that, brings out the fact that this points to the dedication that Ron has. The ramifications of loosing him in our region is still being felt!

The new drift editor is preparing to have the October issue out shortly. I will have an update on the website as well, sooner or later anyway.

Oh yes the key keyword yet! Yes I'm new but that what you guys get! I had one conversation with a member, they said "....I don't know wither to be happy or sad for you." My reply was to pray for me!

OneEyeMedia

--
06 Oct 2009 08:45 PM
VerizonGuy wrote:

All of the talk about updating this and that, brings out the fact that this points to the dedication that Ron has. The ramifications of loosing him in our region is still being felt!

The new drift editor is preparing to have the October issue out shortly. I will have an update on the website as well, sooner or later anyway.

Oh yes the key keyword yet! Yes I'm new but that what you guys get! I had one conversation with a member, they said "....I don't know wither to be happy or sad for you." My reply was to pray for me!

Dude, I have met you a couple times and you are a cool guy from when we talked. Keep positive as long as you can. Unfortunately, when it becomes personal, you will be my friend on our level of feeling towards the club. We speak only the truth and from personal experiences. But hey dude, keep your head high and stand strong :P

wrheadle

--
08 Oct 2009 12:07 PM
OneEyeMedia wrote:

"Volunteers seem to be harder to find these days"

Rephrased:

Volunteers seem to be pushed away these days...

VerizonGuy wrote:

I wouldn't say volunteers have been pushed away, after all I have stepped up to the plate. Nobody has told me no or to get lost. In fact I have been welcome at all of the events and meetings I have gone too.

Jason-

It seems your very unforntunate experience 6 months ago is not the norm today. In fact it seems that change may be afoot. If you would just allow that other people could have a different experience than you, volunteers might be more prevelent. Comments like you are making make be, in part, making volunteers harder to come by. It would really suck if a disgruntled former member is preventing the club from changing that which cased the former member to leave in the first place because he can't find it in his heart to forgive.

Respectfully

Bill Headlee

wrheadle

--
08 Oct 2009 12:09 PM
sts38 wrote:

If Steve M was driving the ship, I'd glady step up and help make that possible, because I know he wouldn't hold us back and he'd help bring great things to FWR.

Why does the RE make a difference in whether or not you volunteer to help? I am confident that your help would be graciously accepted by the folks leading to Solo program.

Bill

wrheadle

--
08 Oct 2009 12:14 PM
OneEyeMedia wrote:

Ron, once again - awesome and very true points. I am amazed how this is something that is not tackled in this region.

If people would volunteer to help now rather than waiting for someone other than them to step up and join the board, we could put on that kind of event. We need people to put up or shut up now to plan that stuff. The tour schedule comes out early in the year and bids have to be in before the next year's board is elected.

Bill

wrheadle

--
08 Oct 2009 12:16 PM

SpeedTeacher wrote:

I vote 'NO'. Steve is going to be very busy with his new venture and it would be hard to have a leadership role in both. That is too bad though because RPM was originally designed to supplement the FW SCCA. Unfortunately that plan was vetoed by the current leadership.

TJ

I think, Todd, that this is a great opportunity. If SteveM is RE (or on the board as Director At Large), you could potentially get the RPM linkage back, at least in part. It could be a worthy strategy...

My $0.02.

Bill

wrheadle

--
08 Oct 2009 12:20 PM
johnr3 wrote:

I would reinstate my membership to vote Jerry or Steve in. I think that they would do whatever it took to see this region succeed, they seem of the type that thinks failure is not a gimme.

Re-instate your membership and run for Director at Large. The seat is open. If you care enough to spend the membership money to vote for someone else, you may as well run in a complimentary position and help the new RE after the election as well, rather than just during the election...

Bill

wrheadle

--
08 Oct 2009 12:31 PM
GChambers wrote:

I'd love to see the "good guys" in the Ft. Wayne region get things together up there. IMO, a strong Ft. Wayne Solo(and Race/Rally etc.) program benefits all of us down in Indy as well. We absolutely do welcome those who join us in Indy and are proud to have you as members but that's really not what's best for the Club or the Division.

It's sad to see how many good people in the Ft.Wayne region are so fed up with the board(or whoever) that they are willing to join regions 100 miles from home. It's just completely beyond me why the fools that cause this rift can't see why this is such a problem. If the club can't attract and retain enthusiastic, young members there is NO future. Seems to me that if the situation doesn't change soon, the Ft. Wayne region is well on it's way down that path.

If Steve, Jerry, Travis and the rest of the good people in Ft. Wayne can turn things around, I'd absolutely support you guys and make as many events as my schedule would allow. From talking to many other Indy Region members, lots of us feel the same way. The way things are now, especially after the situation with Chuck and how it was handled, many are "voting with our wallets" as one prominent Indy member put it and staying away from any and all Ft. Wayne events.

I seems, Goeff, that people would rather complain and wait for someone else to step up and start the change than be a change leader themselves. And then they get frustrated that nothing seems to change. Really too bad. They will all make reasons on why they don't step up, but if you look really hard, none of those reasons (other than Ron Conrad, who is no longer in the Fort Wayne area) actually prevent them from stepping up. They just choose not to.

As can probably be seen from my string of posts here, I've been off the board for a little while and this chain of discussion bitching about things in the past pisses me off. There were a number of board seats that were open for the taking last year and NO ONE even showed up to care. The RE could have been a different person. I would have gladly stepped aside and let fresh blood in. My wife would have appreciated it as well. The time that some people spend complaining on this forum exceeds the commitment that would be required to the club to be on the board. It is a shame.

OneEyeMedia

--
08 Oct 2009 01:15 PM

This has been tried before...

And realistically I am not bitching. clearly pointing out that how does some one help out a club, who states the need volunteers to "step up", but you have no way of telling? Things were easier for volunteers to help before because things were planned out better when I first started as a member in the 2005-2006 time frame ( i know, not very long - still a newb). Website had detailed updates, newsletters where informing and each event had info about the next months events. These are the things that help keep you moving in the right direction.

Unfortunately, I guess I have miss spoke. I have to suck it up and quit crying. So with that...

zipped up...

wrheadle

--
08 Oct 2009 02:54 PM
OneEyeMedia wrote:

Things were easier for volunteers to help before because things were planned out better when I first started as a member in the 2005-2006 time frame ( i know, not very long - still a newb). Website had detailed updates, newsletters where informing and each event had info about the next months events. These are the things that help keep you moving in the right direction.

Looks like you have identified a couple of places in need of volunteers. We need event masters to volunteer early in the year, or even now, so that the eventmaster can focus on the schedule and so forth. In the past, the eventmaster commonly did the event flyer, but that could be another volunteer who could step up now. You don't need a list of what needs done to offer help. The help needed may just be advertising what help is needed...

In the end, proactive is better than re-active.

Bill

SpeedTeacher

--
08 Oct 2009 08:37 PM

Bill,

I think, after some of the treatment I have received from Kammeyer and Dent I have done a pretty good job of sitting in the background and not chiming in. I have always had respect for you trying to be the champion for all. I think you have done a good job at it.

I actually just spent a half an hour explaining my experiences, but honestly, it doesn't matter, so I deleted it. I do my best to be positive in regards to the SCCA. I do think it is a shame that I have the Indy region SCCA giving me positive feedback about my rallycross track and I have yet to hear anything positive (or anything at all) from my local region. I want autocross to be strong in Fort Wayne. I want to autocross my car. I know you do too... you have a lot of blood, sweat and tears in that thing (and a dollar or two I imagine). I want to help funnel people to events so there is more than 35 people at an event. But, I also have all the resources to run my own autocross events profitably, so no matter what, autocross won't fade away in Fort Wayne. Honestly I would prefer to support SCCA events, but would expect to be treated positively (by the leaders) while sending my customers there.

Todd J.

wrheadle

--
09 Oct 2009 04:29 AM
SpeedTeacher wrote:

Bill,

I think, after some of the treatment I have received from Kammeyer and Dent I have done a pretty good job of sitting in the background and not chiming in. I have always had respect for you trying to be the champion for all. I think you have done a good job at it.

I actually just spent a half an hour explaining my experiences, but honestly, it doesn't matter, so I deleted it. I do my best to be positive in regards to the SCCA. I do think it is a shame that I have the Indy region SCCA giving me positive feedback about my rallycross track and I have yet to hear anything positive (or anything at all) from my local region. I want autocross to be strong in Fort Wayne. I want to autocross my car. I know you do too... you have a lot of blood, sweat and tears in that thing (and a dollar or two I imagine). I want to help funnel people to events so there is more than 35 people at an event. But, I also have all the resources to run my own autocross events profitably, so no matter what, autocross won't fade away in Fort Wayne. Honestly I would prefer to support SCCA events, but would expect to be treated positively (by the leaders) while sending my customers there.

Todd J.

Yeah, I have seen resistance to intra-group support at both the regional level (not just FWR) and the national level. Seems to be indicative of our society in general. We would rather be polarized and adversarial rather than just live with each other and find happy middle ground. We spend so much effort figuring out why someone else is wrong and we are right that we can't see ways we are similar.

Be patient. Opportunities will come around and hopefully receptive people will see that together we are better.

Chin up.

KBroeker

--
09 Oct 2009 06:17 AM

I do not want to point fingers or name names, but I do want to point out a few observations I have. There are many good, "stand-up" people involved in FWR SCCA and also some that have left. There are also a few people who may have left (or were possibly asked to leave?) who were not so "stand-up". This is not meant to be sexist, but have you ever had a girlfrind that was the sweetest person in the world until you realized it was not working out, so you broke up with them and then they become a holy terror, running their mouth to anyone who will listen about how they were mistreated by you? Keep in mind, there is always two sides to a story and if you were not there and are listening to only one side, it may be biased.

I also want to say that this is just a hobby. I was asked a few years ago to be Solo Director and was flattered by the offer, but ultimately family issues kept me from committing. I know that others have been able to balance this, but my wife vetoed the time committment and at the time, I needed to keep her opinion in mind. Having said that, I did volunteer to do things (like be an event master, be a Solo Safety Steward) and when I did not volunteer, did help out as I saw fit as situations presented themselves. Although this is just a hobby, it is my passion and I want it to be there not just for myself, but for others who either already know it is their passion or are just discovering it.

I said I was not going to name names, but I decided I would "honor" someone. Although I have only been to one event this year (location, family, vehicle and other assorted issues conspired against me), I was very active last year. Every event I went to, I had John Ryan III (and sometimes Lara) asking what they could do to help. John never told me, but I could tell that he had the passion. He was also in his first full season of autocross (I think) and fairly young (compared to me). If he has left the region, I would be curious to find out the circumstances of that choice. John, if you are reading this, send me email/PM if you choose to share.

GChambers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
10 Oct 2009 01:02 PM
wrheadle wrote:
OneEyeMedia wrote:

Ron, once again - awesome and very true points. I am amazed how this is something that is not tackled in this region.

If people would volunteer to help now rather than waiting for someone other than them to step up and join the board, we could put on that kind of event. We need people to put up or shut up now to plan that stuff. The tour schedule comes out early in the year and bids have to be in before the next year's board is elected.

Bill

Bill, no offense to you or the other Ft. Wayne members but you guys are A LONG WAY away from being able to plan a successful Divisional, let alone a National Tour. Your Solo program needs to be on solid footing before any of that can take place. This certainly is not the case. No to say it can't happen in the near future but there is a lot of work that needs to be done before hand.

GChambers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
10 Oct 2009 01:25 PM

One thing that is so critical to the success of Indy's Solo program is the incredible level of support given by the B.O.D. They know that Solo not only has the potential to bring quite a bit of money into the club but is the thing that brings potential new Club Racers into the organization. With the Boards support, it's been relatively easy for the Solo program to retain some great volunteers who have stepped up to do extra duty just to make the local events more enjoyable. Unfortunately not everyone can step up and volunteer for extra responsibility but a very large number of our members seem to feel the need to do that little extra work at the events to help out. Here's a link to the list of people who have qualified to attend our worker invitational event. BTW, you qualify by stepping up and helping with either set up, tear down, volunteering for planning the National Tour event, etc.

http://www.indyscca.org/SoloFiles/S...20list.pdf

There are 88 people on that list! Eighty Eight! Most of those people have attended multiple Indy Region events over the season. Many regions would kill to just have 88 people attend an event. Most of the people on that list are Indy regularsmeaning they attend at least 2-3 events in a season. Again, I can attribute a huge portion of this success that we are experiencing to the positive support of our Board. If you guys can get your board "on board"(pun intended [;)] ) with the Solo Program. I'm firmly convinced that your program could be at least as successful as ours.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 3 << < 123 > >>

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner