You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 3 << < 123
Author Messages
GChambers
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
10 Oct 2009 02:06 PM
BTW, there are plenty of regions who's SCCA program works very well in conjunction with some sort of privately owned racing organization. WAI in the Milwaukee Region and TSSCC in the Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin area are perfect examples. Some participants seem to want a lot more participation than their local region can offer them so these other organizations fulfill that need.
bmonnin1
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
11 Oct 2009 09:53 AM

Travis and Jason,

I agree with you about Steve M. Unfortunately I doubt he would run. I really don't think he has any interest in being an R.E. or even a Solo director. I'll tell you who would make a good Solo director, not that he would do it, but that is you Jason. You have a lot of ambition, attack the job with a lot of gusto, and just seem to have a natural ability to find people to help, or at least have friends that are willing to help you. I know your feelings about the organization and know you are not even a member anymore so I know it would not happen but I think you would be good at it. Of course the real challenge to the Solo program right now is the limited lots we have. The Coliseum cost us money to rent, a free or cheaper lot will make us more money. Kruse is a nice size lot but the bumps and the dirt makes it a lot less desirable. We really need a decent lot that isn't going to cost us a fortune to rent.

SpeedTeacher

--
11 Oct 2009 07:15 PM

The key to success is to have one club... not two. Its tough, because each portion of the club has goals and obligations, and many times the resources (people, time and money) become stretched thin. There shouldn't be a 'race' side and a 'solo' side. Easier said than done, for sure. When I was Solo Director, the RE treated me like his son, even though I screwed plenty of stuff up. He stood by me and supported me. He gave me the confidence to do what I did best and rely on the team to manage the rest.

That is the second key point... the Solo Director really isn't one person. As I look at my time doing the job, I was very fortunate to have a strong group of people around me that each took a share. I would name them, but honestly I wouldn't have time. There were too many...

As far who should be Solo Director, I think Jason would be an awesome one. I would put him in the category of Ron Conrad as far as what he is willing to do for the greater good. Jason was a huge loss to the local SCCA.

I am a glass half full kind of guy, so I am willing to do whatever I can to help the FW SCCA. The SCCA is bigger than one or two people, or even than one region. Now that competition has started presenting itself (NASA, etc...) it is even more critical the SCCA take a deep breath and make sure it is on top of its game. Otherwise someone is going to swoop in and do it just a little better and take all their customers (yes... competitors are customers...).

Just my two cents...

Todd J.

wrheadle

--
13 Oct 2009 01:00 PM

GChambers wrote:
Bill, no offense to you or the other Ft. Wayne members but you guys are A LONG WAY away from being able to plan a successful Divisional, let alone a National Tour. Your Solo program needs to be on solid footing before any of that can take place. This certainly is not the case. No to say it can't happen in the near future but there is a lot of work that needs to be done before hand.

I understand why you say that, but I think that there is a core group that could put on a divisional as that group knows what to do and has done that before (I have lead 2 divisional events inthe past, both at Grissom). A National Tour would probably be a different story. I do agree that a solid, well staffed Solo program would make running a divisional easier. What I have learned over the years is that there is a core group at the divisional level from a number of regions that is more than willing to step up and help at those events. Recruiting from that group to supplement a lack of depth at the region level is the best path.

That said, what I think our Solo program needs is a strong leader who gets his hands dirty, delegates early and well, and has the courage to believe we, as a region, can do great things and put those plans in place. He may need to take a foray into PR and other things as well, but I think some of that is goig to get fixed shortly.

wrheadle

--
13 Oct 2009 01:18 PM
GChambers wrote:

One thing that is so critical to the success of Indy's Solo program is the incredible level of support given by the B.O.D. They know that Solo not only has the potential to bring quite a bit of money into the club but is the thing that brings potential new Club Racers into the organization. With the Boards support, it's been relatively easy for the Solo program to retain some great volunteers who have stepped up to do extra duty just to make the local events more enjoyable. Unfortunately not everyone can step up and volunteer for extra responsibility but a very large number of our members seem to feel the need to do that little extra work at the events to help out. Here's a link to the list of people who have qualified to attend our worker invitational event. BTW, you qualify by stepping up and helping with either set up, tear down, volunteering for planning the National Tour event, etc.

http://www.indyscca.org/SoloFiles/S...20list.pdf

There are 88 people on that list! Eighty Eight! Most of those people have attended multiple Indy Region events over the season. Many regions would kill to just have 88 people attend an event. Most of the people on that list are Indy regularsmeaning they attend at least 2-3 events in a season. Again, I can attribute a huge portion of this success that we are experiencing to the positive support of our Board. If you guys can get your board "on board"(pun intended [;)] ) with the Solo Program. I'm firmly convinced that your program could be at least as successful as ours.

This one thing that I don't understand, getting the Board involved. I think that is a perception problem rather than a real problem. Let me demonstrate.

Our RE is very involved is establishing and maintaining out site owner relationships and event scheduling.

Our Rally Director is our chief of registration

Our Secretary is our chief of tech

Our Director at Large is me, and I tend to focus on site set-up and course designs

When you add in the Solo director, we have a board quarum at almost all solo events. There was one event this year that I think had every voting member in attendace.

Our PR director is a Solo regular, our Pointskeeper is usually a tech inspector, our Treasurer is frequently there at the beginning to provide an exrta set of hands and be a gopher.

I would love to do an annonymous survey to find out the details of why people think that the board does not support Solo. Problem is getting honest answers with specific details.

I have event envy over your invitational. That would be something that I think would be well supported in our region, but no one has mentioned it to the board to get things started.

VerizonGuy

--
14 Oct 2009 08:57 PM

I can only speak for myself, this is what I did before I really got involved with the club. I went to the member/board meetings and to the events. As I wanted an understanding of what is going on in the club. It is easy to say something and not follow through with it. I might not be a PR expert or an expert at SCCA events, but what I can do is learn the sport and go from there. I think that there IS going to be a lot of change in the next couple of years in our region.

In my observation, I feel that if six guys stepped up to be an event master for one event next year things will go a lot smoother. The sooner that happens the better. I don't think the solo director, or any solo director, would have any problem with it. As a bonus I will even make flyers for the events for you.

OneEyeMedia

--
14 Oct 2009 09:08 PM

Flyers are good to have ready way before the events start for sure. I have made a quite a few for FWR and have always offered help in the area for event masters not skilled in making a snappy flyer.

If you ever get stuck Verizon Guy and need help with this - the offer still stands to help ya out - that is if you want it...

JPM

VerizonGuy

--
15 Oct 2009 07:56 PM

Thanks!

I was thinking of a standard format and then a distrobution plan. I have a map of the region and we are almost tottaly untapped!

OneEyeMedia

--
15 Oct 2009 09:24 PM
VerizonGuy wrote:

Thanks!

I was thinking of a standard format and then a distrobution plan. I have a map of the region and we are almost tottaly untapped!

No problem dude - I help where a non-member can...and since I am not one, that is limited :P

CSP137

--
16 Oct 2009 08:03 AM
sts38 wrote:

I'd like to post another vote for Steve M for R.E. I think this would change things around Fort Wayne for the better. He's been all over the country and is still an "active" member. I see him at events regularly (including Nationals). I think that right there would speak VERY loudly for a board member. Our solo program could be a serious money maker for the club. Having 100+ participants at an AutoX should be a common site. The Coliseum could easily host a Divisional or a National event. If Steve M was driving the ship, I'd glady step up and help make that possible, because I know he wouldn't hold us back and he'd help bring great things to FWR.

Who's with me????

Everyone,

I have been considering this. Being RE is a big responsibility, and as some have suggested, it's more than a job for one person. Actually, many of the positions are too largoe for one person. If I were to run for RE I would need LOTS of help! Most who know me have been saying that all along, but that's another matter. Travis and Jaosn said they would help - that's a start, but only a start. I would need much more help or we will burn out good people. That is a problem that has plagued us in the past. It's just like tearing down a course - if everyone pitches in it's done in minutes - if it's left fro a few it takes an hour or two.

This club is just that - a club! It takes participation from everyone. Just showing up at an event is a great way to start, but it's just a start, it requires so much more than working the course for an hour to put on these events. I believe that the MAJORITY of people out there would do more if asked and appreciated.

I don't like seeing the club in its current condition. There is way to much annamosity, and as Bill has suggested, I think it is more a percieved rift than an actual one. I'd like to see Fort Wayne Region be the standard once again (I remember when it was). I'm wondering how many others would like to be a part of making that happen...

Steve

Peppler33CS
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
16 Oct 2009 08:19 AM

Mieritz for RE.... count me in!!!!

Heck, if he runs for RE... I'm tempted to run for Assistant RE or Director at Large [Y]
johnr3

--
16 Oct 2009 12:02 PM

wrheadle wrote:
johnr3 wrote:

I would reinstate my membership to vote Jerry or Steve in. I think that they would do whatever it took to see this region succeed, they seem of the type that thinks failure is not a gimme.

Re-instate your membership and run for Director at Large. The seat is open. If you care enough to spend the membership money to vote for someone else, you may as well run in a complimentary position and help the new RE after the election as well, rather than just during the election...

Bill

I have my reasons for not wanting to run for an active duty like that. I would love to be able to do something that doesnt require me to be in the Fort anygiven time. Since I live north of Warsaw. See I am even closer to SBR then to FWR but I would much rather run with all the cool kids in FWR.

KBroeker wrote:

I said I was not going to name names, but I decided I would "honor" someone. Although I have only been to one event this year (location, family, vehicle and other assorted issues conspired against me), I was very active last year. Every event I went to, I had John Ryan III (and sometimes Lara) asking what they could do to help. John never told me, but I could tell that he had the passion. He was also in his first full season of autocross (I think) and fairly young (compared to me). If he has left the region, I would be curious to find out the circumstances of that choice. John, if you are reading this, send me email/PM if you choose to share.

You have a PM sir!

Peppler33CS wrote:

Mieritz for RE.... count me in!!!!
Heck, if he runs for RE... I'm tempted to run for Assistant RE or Director at Large [Y]

A BIG +1111111111111111 to that.

RonConrad
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
16 Oct 2009 04:29 PM
sounds like you guys are on your way to having a good slate of candidates. I've held just about every position, so contact me if you have questions.
OneEyeMedia

--
16 Oct 2009 05:01 PM

I am going to come out to Kruse and hang for a bit this Sunday - look forward to chatting with a few of you!

And yes, if some of you would like to give me a kick in the ass, I will gladly bend over :P

Butt (misspelling on purpose) - I would prefer a hug!

VerizonGuy

--
16 Oct 2009 06:35 PM

I'm not going anywhere, unless the next RE fires me or we get a pro at at PR stuff!

So I am in for the PR spot, I have long term plans that I want to do.

RonConrad
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
16 Oct 2009 06:55 PM

Andrew, go for Assistant RE...the Assistant RE also functions as Membership Chairman, and the region needs a good membership recruitment plan. Something that has been lacking for years. I would make sure we get all the contact information put in at local events so the membership could follow up on the new folks. When someone joins the region, there should be some kind of "Welcome Pack" they get that includes, decals, membership directory, and possibly the Bylaws, and Policies.

The region also needs to seek out younger members by finding "special events" that would appeal to them. The region could use the Teen Driving program better as a recruitment tool as well. Temporary Memberships should be followed up on, etc.

RonConrad
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
16 Oct 2009 06:58 PM

Jason, you're scaring me with this hug stuff...how about a nice hand shake?

OneEyeMedia

--
16 Oct 2009 07:04 PM

I am secure with my man hood...

Handshakes are for first time greeting...

Hugs are for my closet...ops... - closest friends!!!

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 3 << < 123

Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
Leroy Engineering Micro Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner