Finally adding a barn door, er, spoiler to my CSP MX-5
 6 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
rpmchris

--
09 Jan 2012 09:32 PM

I give up. I'm finally going to add a large CSP-legal rear spoiler on my 2006 MX-5. The small factory "Appearance Package" lip spoiler does nothing for adding downforce, and it's likely only minimally helpful on reducing drag at autocross speeds (although they are spec'd on the MX-5 Cup cars).

Several have been done on the NC - Victor Livengood and Ron Bauer, to name a few. But I still have the small factory spoiler attached.

So, Bill (actor) and others...can you give me your thoughts on if the small OEM rear lip spoiler must be removed if I add the larger CSP-size spoiler? The 2011 rules use the word "either"...in my case, I'm wondering if that can also mean "both." I'd be using the (a) rear spoiler as the attachment point for the (b) spoiler:

15.2.I.2. A spoiler may be added to the rear of the car provided it complies with either of the following:

a) It is a production rear spoiler which is standard or optional equipment of a U.S. model of the vehicle, or an exact replica in an alternate material.

b) It is a non-production rear spoiler which is mounted to the rearmost portion of the rear hatch, deck, or trunk lid. The spoiler may extend no more than 10 inches from the original bodywork in any direction. Alternatively, in a hatchback, the spoiler may be mounted to the rear hatch lid at or near the top of the hatch; in such a configuration the spoiler may extend no more than 4 inches from the original bodywork in any direction. The spoiler may be no wider than the bodywork, and it shall not protrude beyond the overall perimeter of the bodywork as viewed from above. The use of endplates is prohibited. Angle of attack is free. The spoiler may not function as a wing.

What say ye, oh gods of *SP?

The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    09 Jan 2012 10:24 PM

My reading is both would be legal so long as a) also fulfills b). If you are making a spoiler there is no reason it can't include original parts as part of your made product so long as it continues to satisfy all the b) limitations like being rearmost part, 10 inch extension, not a wing, etc. It's not 2 spoilers, but one spoiler made of 2 (or more) parts.

So, how do you know when a spoiler is a good idea? I'm trying to figure out if it would be of any benefit for my BSP e46 M3.

DrJones_CMR
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10 Jan 2012 07:04 AM
    Just keep it within the size envelope
    darbyfam

--
    10 Jan 2012 10:30 AM
    Chris - I would say, as long as you keep the spoiler length at 10" from the deck lid (rather than 10" from the factory spoiler), it would meet the spirit of the rules and be safe from competitor scrutiny or protest.

I would use the "10 inches from the original bodywork in any direction" as the basis for my ability to mount it to the spoiler. If they didn't intend for it to be an option to attach to another part, they would not have used "original bodywork".

Good luck!
    ratt_finkel
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10 Jan 2012 10:58 AM
    I agree with what Daren said. Chris, do it clear red lexan! That would look sweet with your color scheme!
    atcovan
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    10 Jan 2012 01:50 PM
    This may be a point of contention, due to the exact wording, or lack thereof... "mounted to the rearmost portion of the rear hatch, deck, or trunk lid" Doesn't say you can mount it onto another spoiler. Weenie protest, but we've seen some really "out there" protests about teeny details.
    The Nebulizer
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    10 Jan 2012 02:09 PM
    atcovan wrote:
    This may be a point of contention, due to the exact wording, or lack thereof... "mounted to the rearmost portion of the rear hatch, deck, or trunk lid" Doesn't say you can mount it onto another spoiler. Weenie protest, but we've seen some really "out there" protests about teeny details.

There is no reason the spoiler can't be made of multiple parts (so long as the parts are not endplates or somehow turn it into a wing rather than a spoiler and all of b) is satisfied). The OEM spoiler is just a part of his proposed spoiler.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner