Page 3 of 3 << < 123
Author Messages
CHRISFP78
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
29 Jan 2010 11:15 AM
BMoore wrote:

I'll pipe in here, mainly because I can and because I haven't seen much on the NEW fords, only the 7.3's.

We're coming from an 09 Silverado 2500 with the 383 and the Allison tranny. while it was a good truck and was pretty well loaded for a complete and total base model, it wasn't really up to the task of towing a 9K+ pound 26 foot enclosed trailer. While headed to Lincoln from Wisconsin, my pops averaged 7 MPG at about 75-80 mph. I averaged 26 in the Z06....

Anywho, he stated that it was screaming up hills (4000 - 5000 rpm for a few minutes going up hill, losing speed) and ended up taking a longer way home fore the sole reason that it was more level ground.

Recently, we stepped up to a 2010 Ford F250 with the twin turbo deisel, and so far it's been pretty good. I've towed the car trailer with the old truck, but we have yet to hook it up with this behemoth. It's the Lariat edition, so it's significantly nicer than the base model Chevy, but it still has a few quirks that make me wonder what Ford is thinking (stereo that is beyond basic, hasn't changed much since my 2000 F150, solid front axel, and a few other odd items). Overall though, the interior is pretty well put together and the truck is an absolute tank.

I hooked a 6000 lb loaded trailer up to it (open with a tractor on it) and it towed it like nothing was behind it. The Ford has the best power numbers at 650 ft. pounds of torque, which was definitely noticed when I hammered the gas. it's also got a 5 speed torqueshift transmission, which appears to be strong and shifts well. No complaints with the engine or transmission, but the truck also has a grand total of 1600 miles on it...

As far as the gas mileage.... Once the EPA came out with the new emissions standards for diesels, the trucks have gotten hammered for mileage. I saw a high of 18mpg, towing the empty trailer up to Door County I got 16, towing back I got 12-13 (200 miles each way). The fords have this goofy ass exhaust filter that periodically needs "cleaning" if you let it idle too long. Ford accomplishes this by dumping raw fuel into the exhaust to burn the filter clean. This seems to happen semi-frequently and really kills the milage. Periodically it happens while driving too, and then you can watch the mileage drop to about 9. I fear that the days of the super fuel efficient diesel are gone, or at least it'll take a while before they come back.

One more thing... When driving, it's important to keep the truck out of boost. I've noticed that when the boost gauge goes about 10 psi (I've seen 38 psi max) the milage goes down pretty quickly.

I have an 08 F250 FX4 twin turbo with 33,000 miles on it and I have had zero zilch nada problems with it. I was a previous owner of an 04 powerstroke Ford that was at the dealership at least twice a year with turbo or EGR problems so I was reluctant to buy another Ford. I held my nose crossed my fingers and bought any way and am glad I did it. The 6.0 really hurt Ford with it's reliability problems and I think they really worked hard to make the 6.4's better.

The interior on the 08 is as good or better than my BMW and the power is great. I pulled a 11,000 lb enclosed trailer over the rockies on I70 with it with no problem flattening that hill even at 11,000 feet. My buddy was commenting that his Chevy pulling the same trailer the year before couldn't touch the Ford for pulling power.I went with the upgraded stereo and I have to say that it's the best sounding factory stereo I have ever heard. It has the touch screen and built in Sirius and blue tooth. Really sweet.

The only down side is the Exhaust filter that seems to have taken about 1 mpg away compared to the previous truck but I bought the truck to pull the trailer comfortably down the road so I'm ok with that. Rumor is the new 6.7 with reverse flow intake exhaust system keeps the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) hotter and boost the mileage back to the non DPF equiped trucks range and with 400 hp and 700 tq.to boot. Well see if the mileage rumors are true or not.

-Chris-

Dave Hardy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
30 Jan 2010 06:08 AM

BMoore wrote:
...it still has a few quirks that make me wonder what Ford is thinking (stereo that is beyond basic, hasn't changed much since my 2000 F150, solid front axel, and a few other odd items).

FWIW, folks who take their 4x4 off road prefer the solid front axle, so the Ford beats the Chevy to those buyers. IFS helps on road, but hurts off road.

Clemens
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
13 Feb 2010 08:12 PM

I finally tracked down a Dodge Ram 2500 with a manual transmission for a test drive. It was an '06 with the Mega Cab. Wow, sitting in the back of that thing is like sitting in a stretch limo. Ahhh, you guys had me all scared about this "truck transmission" for nothing. It shifted real nice, actually much better than the '94 GMC Sonoma I had. I decided there is nothing wrong with a Dodge truck with a manual transmission. The opposite is the case. I am sure I'd enjoy driving such a truck much better than anything with an automatic, especially my Trailblazer.

The price for that '06 is actually pretty good, but still more than what I'd like to spend. I also have the opportunity to buy an '04 with the HO engine. I was looking for an '03/04 anyway. It's decision time. The configuration I am looking for is not that common.

Clemens

turbotoddie
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
02 Mar 2010 06:46 PM

Fwiw, I have an 05 Dodge w/Cummins and I wouldn't trade it for the world! It tows my 36ft enclosed easily and still get 10-12 at 73-75. If I would slow to 65, it will get 13-15 but I don't have the patience. As well, the 04-up have bigger brakes than the early 2000s. I ended up with the six spd and it is wonderful for towing but does get old backing the trailer and traffic jams. It is not my daily driver. Also, took the CP car to Blytheville last year on my open trailer, drove 75 the whole way and still avg'd 16mpg(I live near Houston). My mileage is also achieved without a programmer. I do have an exhaust and open element air filter.

turbo

01 FS Z28
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
03 Mar 2010 11:38 AM

Geez Todd... we need to talk about tuning that thing. I had an 04.5 and another autoxer friend has an '06 and we both picked up about 1 mpg across the board running tunes on the truck (we both opted for an Edge setup and both found the same setting was the best (and it wasn't the mileage setting either)!!!!!!!

Clemens
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
04 Mar 2010 11:05 AM

Well, I bought myself a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 with a Cummins and a 6-speed last week. It does not shift quite as nicely as the 2006 model I test-drove, but it beats any automatic, as far as I am concerned.

I reset the fuel economy display before driving it home. When I got home after 55 miles driving mostly 50-55 mph and 65 mph for maybe 20% of the trip, the display showed 31.3 mpg. I was very careful with the gas pedal during this trip, but the 31.3 mpg definitely seems too good to be true. I usually calculate mileage based on the odometer and actual fuel consumption, and I am anxious to see what kind of fuel economy I'll be getting. I'll mostly use it for towing my enclosed trailer and may never drive enough without a trailer to get good data without towing.

Clemens

boxboy
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
04 Mar 2010 11:32 AM

Hi Clemens, I think the mpg calculators can be pretty optimistic when you are light load cruising, especially downhill. I have a 2009 (6.7, auto, dually) and while most of the time it is relatively close, it has been off significantly on some towing legs when there was some downhill involved. By significantly it might say 12mpg when 10.5mpg was what I got doing the calc at the pump.

That said, in light cruise with no trailer going 60mph, the computer will show up to 21mpg though I have not ever tried verifying that at the pump. My guess is when you get into coasting situations it uses extremely high instantaneous mpg values and it throws off the overall calculation.

-Andy M.

jzr
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
04 Mar 2010 11:44 AM
Over 30 sounds optimistic but 25+ should be is possible with the right geography and gearing. Once did a tankful at 50-55mph in my 2005 (dually auto 4x4 w/4.10) towing a 'Vette on an open trailer, and the 18.7 indicated was within a tenth or two of actual. Driving that slow is awful though, at 50mph you can count individual paint lines in the highway...
IanF
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
04 Mar 2010 02:13 PM

Wow. 31 mpg??? The best I've seen with my '95 Cummins 4x4, 5 spd, LB Club Cab over a full tank is 22 mpg (I haven't needed to tow with it yet).

That said, I really miss my old '90 E150 conversion van. It would get around 17 mpg driving up and back to ski resorts when I was racing mtn bikes.

I drive/drove both rather conservatively, though... rarely much above the speed limit. Mileage really plummits the faster you're pushing a brick through the air.

47CP
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
04 Mar 2010 02:16 PM
Clemens wrote:

Well, I bought myself a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 with a Cummins and a 6-speed last week. It does not shift quite as nicely as the 2006 model I test-drove, but it beats any automatic, as far as I am concerned.

I reset the fuel economy display before driving it home. When I got home after 55 miles driving mostly 50-55 mph and 65 mph for maybe 20% of the trip, the display showed 31.3 mpg. I was very careful with the gas pedal during this trip, but the 31.3 mpg definitely seems too good to be true. I usually calculate mileage based on the odometer and actual fuel consumption, and I am anxious to see what kind of fuel economy I'll be getting. I'll mostly use it for towing my enclosed trailer and may never drive enough without a trailer to get good data without towing.

Clemens

Cool, you will like it. I have never had much luck with my overhead display being remotely accurate for mileage empty or towing. Not sure why....:)

DaveW

01 FS Z28
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
05 Mar 2010 09:54 AM

My overhead on my 04.5 was usually 3 mpg off, even with stock tuning. My overhead in my '08 is usually 1-2 mpg off (optimistic) with or without tuning as well.

hand calc is your friend. But you got a good truck for mileage if you keep the speed down. 2wd, flat land.... My guess is 20 is on the highway empty. Probably pull down a pretty easy 15 maybe more with the enclosed. You'll know when you hit a headwind because the truck will pull it fine, but the mileage will drop accordingly.,

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 3 << < 123

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports
SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner