Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
E30bulldog
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
31 Jan 2012 11:45 AM

After a tortuous autox season and 350,000 miles of hard driving my beloved bmw e30 finally breaks a rocker arm (7k RPM+ I6=broken rocker arm). Not to mention a tremendous amount of oil blow by from the piston rings, and an enormous amount of valve clatter. It's time for a REBUILD!!!

out with the old...

look at that mess (i think every seal was leaking)

that's better

fresh rebuild cylinder head

head is now bolted to my pre-owned block (thanks pull-a-part)

pretty much assembled....time to put her in the car

I ran into a snag...seeing that the automatic car I pulled the donor block from did not have a pilot bearing, I had to source one Sunday morning

back in she goes

kinda tight!

The motor is back in and running awesome!!!! No leaking or burning oil, and a lot more torque than before.

Thanks a lot to Brian Hardy and Taylor George, these guys helped me take the old motor out, rebuild the new one, and put it back in leak free in just 3 days!!!!!

iliad

--
    31 Jan 2012 12:17 PM
    That was one hell of a weekend... all it took was 24 donuts and 6 monsters to complete!
    No more diesel 5 cylinder e30 ;)
    tgeorge
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    31 Jan 2012 02:30 PM
    "Fun" weekend. I'm glad it went so smoothly.
    edrice

--
    31 Jan 2012 04:36 PM

Looks good, be sure to drive it slow for the first several autocross events to make sure the motor is broken in properly.

E30bulldog
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    31 Jan 2012 05:56 PM
    Ed,

You know I don't roll like that, I plan on running her hard and putting her up wet
    snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    31 Jan 2012 07:23 PM
    E30bulldog wrote:
    Ed,

You know I don't roll like that, I plan on running her hard and putting her up wet

Hell, why not ?!?! It's a used short block. Did the same mid season to a friend's STX E30. The head from the used up engine was very recently rebuilt. These are some seriously fun cars to work on. Recently had a 95 740 in my garage. Seriously NOT fun to work on. NEVER again.

E30bulldog
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Feb 2012 04:21 AM
    snaponbob wrote:
    E30bulldog wrote:
    Ed,

Hell, why not ?!?! It's a used short block. Did the same mid season to a friend's STX E30. The head from the used up engine was very recently rebuilt. These are some seriously fun cars to work on. Recently had a 95 740 in my garage. Seriously NOT fun to work on. NEVER again.

Thanks Bob, You speak of Doug Hitchcock?

snaponbob
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    01 Feb 2012 10:05 AM
    E30bulldog wrote:
    snaponbob wrote:
    E30bulldog wrote:
    Ed,

Thanks Bob, You speak of Doug Hitchcock?

The ONE, the ONLY. Mr. Black Helicopter in the flesh. Now he has an E30 318, so when he jumps back in the 325 it seems like a rocket ship.

E30bulldog
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Feb 2012 01:40 AM
    So far I have competed my first autox with the new motor and it is great. Gobs of torque, no overheating, no sputtering. I was able to take 2nd place in pax and raw out of 54 drivers, at the Delta event at the NOLA Motorsports Park. Can't wait to come and play at the Meridian Event next weekend.
    ratt_finkel
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    06 Feb 2012 10:36 AM
    Did you not use the aftermarket header this time around?
    serendib

--
    06 Feb 2012 03:43 PM
    E30bulldog wrote:
    So far I have competed my first autox with the new motor and it is great. Gobs of torque, no overheating, no sputtering. I was able to take 2nd place in pax and raw out of 54 drivers, at the Delta event at the NOLA Motorsports Park. Can't wait to come and play at the Meridian Event next weekend.

True Dat!!!

I was at NMSP in 3rd place PAX. Great Job to the Gene, Taylor, Brian team again on a timley rebuild and great driving Gene.

If not for the Meridian Event being the same weekend as GCR's Awards Banquet we would be there as well.

E30bulldog
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Feb 2012 04:06 PM
    Those where eBay headers. That didn't seal even with 2 gaskets. I plan on putting them back on after I address the leaking issue.
    E30bulldog
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    09 Feb 2012 12:42 PM
    serendib wrote:
    E30bulldog wrote:

True Dat!!!

I was at NMSP in 3rd place PAX. Great Job to the Gene, Taylor, Brian team again on a timley rebuild and great driving Gene.

If not for the Meridian Event being the same weekend as GCR's Awards Banquet we would be there as well.

Thanks Romesh! I had a blast at NOLA! I just wish they would listen more to other safety stewards. I wanted them to change the finish even more but they wouldn't budge. If that change had not taken place there would be an incident report filed, and a poor kids 240sx would be in a junk yard. BTW had a great time racing against you, I didn't realize till the results where posted that we where so close.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner