FMod Market and Forums
 11 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Rasmus

--
31 Jan 2012 11:52 PM
    So looking into F Mod. Where's all the activity at? Where's the used market cars listed at and purchased? Where are the active forums? Help a new to F Mod guy.
    Lynn
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    01 Feb 2012 05:24 AM
    jtcolegrove
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Feb 2012 03:37 PM
    formula500.org
    Rasmus

--
    02 Feb 2012 10:47 AM
    The two forums seem to have issues with each other. What's up with that?
    Lynn
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    02 Feb 2012 04:03 PM
    The two types of cars are very different and the F500s are faster. There has been an effort for the past few years to try to equalize the cars. So far, that has not been successful. There as some animosity during when the rules changes for the Vees were first proposed. I don't think there is now. Some Vee drivers feel that we would be better off if the Vees were moved to CM, since the CM cars also have an automotive based drive train. The thinking is that it would be easier to achieve parity with another automotive based class.

From a Vee driver, I will tell you that if you want to be competitive in FM, buy an F500. F500s are cheaper, too.
    vreihen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 Feb 2012 12:59 PM
    Rasmus wrote:
    The two forums seem to have issues with each other. What's up with that?

The F500 drivers installed smokescreens to slow the Vee drivers down, and the Vee drivers countered by installing oil slick sprayers to slow the F500's down. :) Seriously though, the F500 drivers should thank the Vee drivers for coming out to events, because it means that the trophies go deeper for F500 drivers.....

MCoupeAtlanta

--
    08 Feb 2012 06:35 PM

Oh, F500 and FV cars are VERY different animals, with owners devoted to only THEIR type of car. On rough courses - as Nationals used to be - the real suspensions on an FV made them quite competitive with the F500's. Now that Nats is on smooth surfaces, their weaknesses are apparent - competitively speaking. I am an F500 only guy.

And for F500 there are TWO forums. formula500.org, with the longest history, and the new one - f500.us. The difference is that formula500.org is populated with the motorcycle engine guys. And the two groups, 2 stroke and 4 stroke, are at constant battle there. Same arguments, same words, same stuff, for some time. Over and OVER again. But there's good history there, and that's the best "for sale" place.

f500.us is the newer site, populated in large part by proponents of the newly-approved Rotax 593 motor. Quite suprisingly, there is dramatically more and deeper technical information on f500.us. On all of the Rotax motors, clutching, and many other subjects.

Essentially all of us are friendly, helpful folks. That in person you'd be happy to have a beer with. But on the forums. . . <shudder> Fear not - many and perhaps all SCCA classes undergoing change result in such. Nature of the beast.

Chris

Rasmus

--
    15 Feb 2012 05:48 PM
    So if I'm looking to get a used F500 for HPDE and Solo FM: formula500.org and f500.us?
    Scootin159
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    17 Feb 2012 12:05 PM
    Rasmus - yes, those are the two main places to look. Occasionally you'll see them pop up on ebay as well, but most of the ebay ones get reposted to one of the two forums anyways.

Just curious - you mention using it for HPDE, what organization allows open wheel cars in HPDE? Seems it would be a big safety risk having full-size tin-top cars out there with us, but maybe there's some that have a special run group we could go in?
    Rasmus

--
    26 Feb 2012 12:20 PM

Glad you wrote that Scott.

I just checked with my local region and the deal we have with other clubs and the race track. Open wheel cars are right-out.

All it takes is a touch of the wheel and
    pretty much a major incident follows.

I know that my local region HPDE groups have Radical cars running in the top two groups (of three). I asked if I fabricated body panels to enclosed the F500 and make it look more like a Radical or Spec Racer Ford, if I'd be allowed to run it. They said that sounded fine.

Scootin159
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    26 Feb 2012 10:07 PM
    Keep in mind, even if you enclose the wheels so they let you out there, you'll still be invisible to anybody else (not just figuratively, but literally - your car would be much shorter than the rear window of most cars). On top of that, should the worst happen, your head is about bumper hight to most other cars out there. While you'll be off the pace, I'd feel more comfortable being out there with just radicals and the like, but would never feel comfortable being out there with any production based car.
    jdmurphy
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Jan 2013 03:34 PM

Sorry for the late post (as I don't come by very often) but the last entry brought back memories of when SRF, back in 1984 it was Sports Renault, was first being tested at the Spring National at Charlotte Motor Speedway. I was there on Friday for testing with my F440 and was asked to run with three SR's for a session to see what any problems would be between us. Right off the bat as I was approaching them I got sucked up in their much more powerful draft and had to slam on the brakes to afford rear ending the nearest one. As I ran next to them they could not see me until my front nose was well in front of their noses AND I could out brake them by a very long distance along with the fact my car did NOT have a brake light (only rain)! SCCA HQ people said after the test session that the SR's would not be run with the formula cars. Unfortunately, over the many years since then, several regions around the country have never been told this or have forgotten it or lost it in succession and have placed the SRF's in a formula group with resulting scary close calls and some times bad accidents (Daytona several years ago).

Jim

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner