PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 28 Dec 2009 08:16 AM by  BrianCunningham
Winter Mods thread. What ya gonna do to your ride for next season?
 25 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
FTW_FRC

--
24 Oct 2009 07:54 AM

So here it is. The end of the season and time to start on the improvements for next year.

What are your plans, parts, tweaks and fixes for next years season?

I'll start. As stated in the Event 7 thread my car is currently down for repairs. The exhaust is broken. Welds are letting go.

Buy hey. Its got 105K on it. Time to upgrade.

First upgrade. Installed last month.

SCCAForums Image

I am really liking these. Even with the colder temps. I noticed a big improvement in handling. Been playing with the settings some. Evil Grin.

On order. Should be here next week.

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

Exhaust will be the round four tip option.

Install should be complete before the end of the month. Gonna have to have a tune done as well. Either DTE or Lingenfelter. Have not decided yet.

Hopefully by next spring will be new Hoosiers. We will see what the bank account looks like at that time.

Post em' guys and gals!

OneEyeMedia

--
    25 Oct 2009 07:06 AM

Looks like you have some fun on your way!

Well - I am still on the fence if the Hyundai will be autocrossed again, I did find a smashed up donor car where I will be swapping engines out of it to get it back up and running. Crossing my fingers this plan will work - donor car was only $200 and then engine has like 30,000 miles on it.

But my biggest winter project. If elected Solo Director, I will be working very hard getting things planned and well oiled to have a strong year next year.

Catch ya later,

Jason

VerizonGuy

--
    25 Oct 2009 08:02 PM

Well, have I got a list for you! Either I will run out of time or money before I get everything done for next year :-)

What I have:

2 CV Axle Assemblies

Valve Cover Gasket

Steering Rack Mounts

Both Tie Rod Assemblies

Both Ball Joints

Poly Bushing Kit

Neuspeed Swaybar

Stuff to Order:

Engine Mounts

Transmission Mounts

Subframe Bushings

Engine Pulleys

Idle Control Valve

O2 Sensor

Cat-Back Exhaust

Spacers

Wheel Stud Kit

Harness Bar

Harness

Then I will get my seats and other charger rebuilt. Then lastly new tires! Whew!

CSP137

--
    26 Oct 2009 11:05 AM

I agree with Jason about stepping things up in Fort Wayne Region next year. We will need everyone to do a little, though.

On the car side, I hope I have the funds to go to G Prepared! Racing slicks - here I come!

Steve

FTW_FRC

--
    27 Oct 2009 03:49 AM
    VerizonGuy wrote:

Well, have I got a list for you! Either I will run out of time or money before I get everything done for next year :-)

What I have:

2 CV Axle Assemblies

Valve Cover Gasket

Steering Rack Mounts

Both Tie Rod Assemblies

Both Ball Joints

Poly Bushing Kit

Neuspeed Swaybar

Stuff to Order:

Engine Mounts

Transmission Mounts

Subframe Bushings

Engine Pulleys

Idle Control Valve

O2 Sensor

Cat-Back Exhaust

Spacers

Wheel Stud Kit

Harness Bar

Harness

Then I will get my seats and other charger rebuilt. Then lastly new tires! Whew!

Holy cow that is quite the list. You are gonna be a busy man. Good luck.

sts38
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Oct 2009 12:06 PM
    Chris...so correct me if I'm wrong....the headers and full exhaust will put you in ASP? Surprised you are doing this....it seems a bunch of people are jumping to the C5 cuz it got moved to AS and it is predicted to be one of the hot cars. Yours is non-Z06 right?
    smitch

--
    27 Oct 2009 06:38 PM

Heres and quick copy and paste of my winter project. Im hoping to be done by January...baby's due date.

Swapping a Forester with WRX goodies. Should run 13's flat, out handle any SUV on the road and still be baby friendly.

Yeah, theres no such thing as a 2001 Forester XT Premium. I wanted to buy a 05 XT Premium, but being a cheap ass I didnt want to spend that much. On top of the price they are very hard to find in a manual transmission.

So I decided to make one.

October 21st,

I bought a 2001 Forester S manual transmission with 108k on the clock. The owner was on his way to Indy to buy a Toyota FJ and dropped it off at my work. The car is very clean for the mileage. Some think I paid to much (Meaty;)), and I did pay a premium for a car that Im going to swap. I wanted an 'S' so that I would get the heated seats, mirrors and windshield, the big ass sunroof and important to me, mono tone paint.

This is the first picture of the Forester....untouched.

SCCAForums Image

I was going to clean it, but I knew it was going to rain.

Because of the rain I started taking apart the donor car that I also bought yesterday (bought two cars in one day). Thanks to Chuck and his trailer, we hauled this 03 WRX home last night.

SCCAForums Image

I got pretty far for only wrenching for a couple of hours.

SCCAForums Image

VF22 turbo, front mount, HKS down pipe, Cobb catback

SCCAForums Image
    Door and lights for sale in the classifieds;)

SCCAForums Image

Oct. 23
    SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

Not a lot done, but its better than nothing.

Oct 24, repeat of yesterday...not a lot done, but better than nothing.

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

Oct 25th,
    Got a lot done today, was a real good day. Spent some good quality time with the wife, watched two hours of high def WRC and got done what I wanted to yesterday.

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

10-26-09 First Mod, First bath and donor car is 100% wire free.

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image
    Looks so much better with out the roof cross bars. Oh, horns are coming out and going into something else, probably the rally car.

Some goals for this project-
    -First and foremost have a safe car for a baby thats on the way.
    -Have the car done by the baby's due date JAN. 9th.
    -Reliable Daily Driver. No super stiff suspension, no 9lbs flywheels or crazy clutches.
    -13.00 second quarter mile times or better
    -$8,000 budget (Yes I know I can find 04 XT's for around that price..but their not the Premium model.
    sts38
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Oct 2009 05:45 AM

Chris....do you ever NOT have an impressive winter project going on? I like this one! Sensable and on a nice budget.

My winter "to dos" aren't quite as exciting.......

Head Refresh
    Timing Belt
    Water Pump
    Blue print Injectors
    Redo CAT Inlet/Outlet pipes (making 2.25" from downpipe back)
    Brakes - Carbotech (fronts done....rear shoes just arrived)

Hubs/wheel bearings
    Engine Mounts
    Custom Valved Shocks - Konis?
    Passenger Seat

Getting started on the head next weekend.....don't want to waste any time.

KBroeker

--
    28 Oct 2009 08:46 AM

Mods...the ultimate, a "new" car.

I am looking for suggestions on a car that is less than $10,000 (used) that is not so old that it could not be a daily driver, yet is competetive in either it's stock class or an ST class. Am looking at a '99 Miata, but have found that they are excluded from STS and may be a little tight on me; could go CS, I guess, but the one I have spotted is not a trim level that has the LSD.

So, if you had $10,000, what would you buy?

OneEyeMedia

--
    28 Oct 2009 09:03 AM
    KBroeker wrote:

I am looking for suggestions on a car that is less than $10,000 (used) that is not so old that it could not be a daily driver, yet is competetive in either it's stock class or an ST class. Am looking at a '99 Miata, but have found that they are excluded from STS and may be a little tight on me; could go CS, I guess, but the one I have spotted is not a trim level that has the LSD.

Nissan 240

Old School Toyota Celica - RWD version

S2000 (probably won't find one for 10K though, maybe 14K...and would be tight for your tallness...)

more later - time for LUNCH!!!

sts38
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Oct 2009 11:34 AM
    KBroeker wrote:

bugeye WRX for STX

CSP137

--
    28 Oct 2009 12:30 PM
    KBroeker wrote:

This might be too much for your budget:

My neighbor is selling his '00 S2000. Super clean. 4?,000 on the clock. Wants low teens.

Steve

smitch

--
    28 Oct 2009 02:33 PM
    OneEyeMedia wrote:

Looks like you have some fun on your way!

Well - I am still on the fence if the Hyundai will be autocrossed again, I did find a smashed up donor car where I will be swapping engines out of it to get it back up and running. Crossing my fingers this plan will work -

Jason

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...209320586#

Your plan will work, I've done it once or twice. I saw the video and thought of you.

OneEyeMedia

--
    28 Oct 2009 03:22 PM

OMFG!!!!!!!!

Copy/pasted on hyundai forums! EPIC FAIL :P

Thanks for the laugh bro!

bmonnin1
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    29 Oct 2009 06:22 PM

Got a few modifications planned this winter. No, at this time I am not planning to convert it back to STR although I may do an event or two in STR just to see if I want to do it for 2011. First modification is I need to finish off the exhaust from the headers back. Hopefully Magnaflow willl help. I am thinking that these parts should work.

MufflerCats

Then I need to get some toe and camber adjustment in the rear suspension, right now I have too much camber and probably too much toe in and have to compensate with a larger rear sway bar. Would like to see if I can get the feel I want without a rear sway bar if I can get the toe and camber adjusted right. Ireland Engineering has an excellent kit for this even though I will have to remove the subframe and do some grinding on it to install the kit. They sell both a camber and toe kit but use the same photo for both kits.

Toe and Camber set

Since I have to pull the subframe to install the toe and camber kits while it is out I figured I would finish the suspension bushings in the car. A set of subframe bushings and a differential bushing should stiffen things up a little.

Subframe Bushing Diff Bushing

That only leaves the engine mount bushings. Guess I should change them too.

Engine Bushings

One last thing I would like to do is get rid of the horsepower killing engine fan and replace it with an electric fan. Now the car comes with an electric fan that in cooler weather is enough to keep the car cool but on very hot days in traffic with the AC on it is not enough so to be on the safe side I am planning to install a Spal fan in the engine fans place.

Spal Fan

After that just need a set or two of race tires for next year and I will be ready to go.

smitch

--
    31 Oct 2009 05:54 AM

Oct 30th

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image

Donor car gone! Well its on a trailer getting ready to go.

Bigblockbandit

--
    31 Oct 2009 07:52 AM

3 boxes of pizza and how much beer?

Mods this winter to the old T/A are few, i just want to Pull the rear springs and drop the back end 1 1/2" yet. Then Im going to get back onto the Cobra, It looks like Im going to have some extra time this winter and I need to Get myself motivated and spend a couple months working on it, I think I can have it a running unbodied chassis if a fairly short time. The Pic of Chris witht he wiring harness in hand bringsd back some memories of stripping out the 04 mustang cobra donor car!

As soon as I finish working on Dad's 32 roadster and my other toy project the shop gets rearanged and put into Cobra Mode. Im getting a little antsy...

FTW_FRC

--
    31 Oct 2009 08:14 AM

sts38 wrote:
    Chris...so correct me if I'm wrong....the headers and full exhaust will put you in ASP? Surprised you are doing this....it seems a bunch of people are jumping to the C5 cuz it got moved to AS and it is predicted to be one of the hot cars. Yours is non-Z06 right?

Correct sir, Non Z06 and ASP it is.

I have been wanting to do the headers and exhaust for some time now. Since the old exhaust is falling apart, it gave me the excuse to pull the trigger on the new one. Full exhaust is the base for all later mods. I.E. Heads, cam, intake, throttle body. If I did not do it now, I would have to do it later.

I am getting bored with the power I have. So, time to add some more. :evil grin:

After new race rubber "hopefully before the next season starts" I will be looking into the Pfadt adjustable front sway bar and Z06 rear bar as well as Poly bushings front and back.

FTW_FRC

--
    31 Oct 2009 08:21 AM

Question guys. I am also looking at the HardBar camber kit. Is this legal for ASP?

bmonnin1
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    01 Nov 2009 07:09 PM
    FTW_FRC wrote:

Question guys. I am also looking at the HardBar camber kit. Is this legal for ASP?

Camber kit is legal as of this last year. So is the throttle body, exhaust, and intake. Cams and heads on the other had are not, at least not anything more the OE spec. No internal engine mods except rebuild to stock specifications are legal. All engine performance inprovements have to be external, as in the exhaust and the intake. This doesn't mean you can't change the heads or the cams, they just have to be O.E. Pistons can be overbored but only to manufacturer rebuild specifications (basically you are not going to be able to do a 0.030 overbore).. If you are really interested in going to ASP I would suggest doing all suspension modifications you can first then start thinking about engine modifications, you get much more bang for your buck in suspension then engine in autocross, at least in ASP were engine mods are limited.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner