Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
85rx-7gsl-se
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
21 Feb 2012 11:28 AM
    Anyone else have experience with these? I bought a pair for the front of my Cobalt SS/TC and ran them for the first time this past Saturday at a Nasa-X event. It was cold and the surface had alot of trash on it, but overall they seemed to perform decently especially when you consider that they are almost $75 less per tire than RS-3/Star Specs.
    90_crx_si

--
    22 Feb 2012 01:39 AM
    Keep us posted on how you like them, a friend with a Solstice GXP is looking for a decent cheap tire for the light autox he does.
    96 Miata

--
    02 Jun 2012 01:50 PM
    I am glad that someone finally mentioned these bargain-priced tires. I have read that they have been difficult to source with long lead times, so perhaps this is why they are unpopular. I have not yet seen a set of these here in the Houston Region. The tread design looks like a Toyo R1R so it must be aggressive! They are only 2/3 the price of a Z1! Anyone else have experience with these tires??
    BDG

--
    28 Mar 2013 07:57 AM
    I ran them on a stock (plus sway bars) '09 WRX for a season. 235/40/17's on a 17x8 wheel. Wore well, gripped harder than the 225/45/17 Star Specs on a 17x7 I had (not entirely fair comparo, I know).

Definitely soft in the sidewall, I could have done with more wheel. I also found them heat sensitive. Overheated abruptly on track use. Worked decently well in the wet.

That being said, I really liked them.
    Der Wankel

--
    04 Jun 2013 04:48 AM

I used a set of 265/35-18 Federal 595 RS-Rs ($138ea) on some 18x10.5 wheels last year for points events at my little local club for my '93 RX-7 with exhaust and coilovers in ASP.

Street tire award every event and top 5 in pax as well as overall points.

They worked well in our North CA cool climate.

They aren't very refined tires.  They all separate the splice a bit in the tread cap, but keep working.  They are loud, hydroplane in standing water, will take a bunch of weight to balance and never stop stinking.

I thought their sidewall was great with razor sharp turn in response in the fitment I had.  Better than the 265 Hankook Ventus TD Z221 I switched to this year; though you can't compare the grip at all.

Bullitt2954
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Jun 2013 11:21 PM
    A local "hotshoe" and "near-hotshoe" compared them back-to-back-to-back-to-back with same-same size Rival (cannot recall size - probably 215? 225?) at a Regional Event a few weeks-ago. STR-prep Miata: Sunny, 70s rising to 80s temps, two-year-old asphalt with fair to moderate grip, "Technical" course.

They discovered essentially what Der Wankel said about the RS-Rs, pretty-much the same everyone else sez about the Rivals. On a ~44-second course, the Rival was worth between 1 and 1.5 seconds over the Federal.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner