Vorshlag 468x60 Banner
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 02 Jan 2010 10:13 AM by  Primetime Glick
pickup bed - open, covered or cap? tools?
 12 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
BrianCunningham

--
27 Oct 2009 12:08 PM
    For those towing with your pickup

Do you leave the bed open?

Cover it up?

Put a cap on it?

Where do you keep you tools
    Boxes in the bed?
    Toolbox mounted in the bed.
    Inside the cab?

(Hey, 10 years on the forum and this is my 1st poll )
    Impala SS AutoXer
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Oct 2009 01:00 PM

Used to have a bed cover, sold it to get a cap. I am using the truck to tow an open trailer.

View the cap as "more" secure than nothing (but likely not as much as the "completely out of sight" nature of a bed cover), and double the storage space of the bed cover. Dark tint on the windows of the cap = good [;)]

Wouldn't go for open unless you're willing to accept that you have no truck storage (even for luggage) at all. Might be ok if you're towing an enclosed trailer, but otherwise...not so much.

Do keep in mind that the "more space" nature of a cap means you tend to load the truck with more stuff = more weight. Be sure you aren't overloading the rear springs of the truck while towing. I've been closer to it than I would have thought with just a loaded truck bed/cap and the open trailer with a heavy car on it (as checked on a CAT scale at a truck stop which will give you axle weights), and that's with a 3/4 ton truck. That weight would have easily been overloaded on a half-ton truck.

poSSum

--
    27 Oct 2009 02:13 PM
    I've been using a short box std cab Silverado with a Retrax cover. That provides less storage room than than our Trailblazer with the seat folded. If I did it again, I'd go with a cap, or even more likely, for added security and flexibility, a full-size SUV.
    Ralt25
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Oct 2009 04:36 PM

I use a tonneau cover, it works well, but for nationals, I'm carrying to much stuff so I need a cap. I have a 4 1/2 foot bed with a crew cab, so there just isn't the space for all the tires and stuff.

BrianCunningham

--
    28 Oct 2009 06:19 AM
    someone pointed this out to me.

roll up cover with built in tool box

http://www.aztrucks.com/product.asp...Work_Cover
    poSSum

--
    28 Oct 2009 06:59 AM

That's an interestesting cover.

Your tire size may play into your decision as well. I can stack mounted 285's plus 245's (Hoosier A6 and wet) under the roll top, but 285's stacked are too high. Unmounted is worse.

marka
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    28 Oct 2009 07:40 AM

Howdy,

I no longer tow with a pickup, but... Cap. Bed covers suck. Not much room. If I were going to have to have a bed cover anyway, get one that gets outta the way easily, either by rolling up or lifting up on gas struts.

Mark

EWCMR2
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Oct 2009 08:54 PM
    Open. Hitching up my goosneck with a cap or cover wouldn't be pretty[:)]
    BrianCunningham

--
    29 Oct 2009 07:51 AM
    check out this setup...
    [quote]
    eogel;
    Use a cap with full length windows that open for access to the shelf. Added a shelf that I can roll out if I need the space for something other than racing. Shelf is at the height of the top of the bed. Will post a picture tomorrow.

Ed

Edited to add pictures. Shelf significantly increases capacity and accessibility. Shelf has garage door rollers mounted under it with garage door tracks mounted on inside of bed. Shelf can be emptied and easily removed to create space for other uses. Shelf has one sloped side for easy visibility of contents. Other side is flat for larger items.

SCCAForums Image

SCCAForums Image
    msimanyi
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Nov 2009 09:50 AM

I'd hate to see that after an accident!

I have a shell and Bedslider (http://www.bedslide.com/) and *really* like the setup. I'll do it again on my next truck. The Bedslider easily holds two sets of wheels and all the gear I can wedge in there, and hasn't flinched even at full extension.

Mike

Primetime Glick
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    18 Nov 2009 06:36 AM

Caps in my opinion are a PITA -- tough to crawl around in, make the generally GOOD visibility of a pick-up BAD. With pull-out organizers they can be OK (still hard to see around). Plus anything but the metal ones with shankless padlocks are a break-in magnet.

I have an ARE fiberglass tilting locking bed cover (ya, had I KNOWN there was an app, woulda got the Roll N Lock so I access everything equally well from the top). Most of my tools are in home-made canvas roll-up pouches strapped to my tailgate. With my pouch setup and and two shoulder-slung toolbags, I can move and carry the tools wherever I need to, on foot, which was important to me. (2) 2x4's divide up the rest of the bed to keep gear somewhat organized and not slide around. Currently it's not loaded to the gills but there is definitely space left for an air tank and a couple big "tupperware" containers for more race/towing/travel gear... and I already have a buttload of tools, supplies, 2.5T jack, 20' jumpers, 5G gas can, and other stuff in there. Later when I get to my home computer I can post pics of everything if interested. F150 supercrew (with the "extra short bed").

On the flip side, American Van sells a number of trick (and EXPENSIVE) flat floor-mount toolboxes with long slide-out drawers. A fellow s. FL racer had one of those in his short-bed Chevy with a cap, and it worked pretty well for him. It's just a $$$ box with limited space inside the drawers, e.g., an impact wrench probably won't fit. There are also some law enforcement and hunting supplier that sell $$$ pull-out organizers for the back of trucks, you could look there if you still want a cap. The law enforcement ones are typically lockable and very robust.

Edit: However, if you add up the cost of a "secure" cap, truck, special cabinets/boxes... maybe you just want to consider a van already outfitted with shelves. A Sprinter allows everyone but Lebron to stand up inside, and a DRW/Blue Tec can pull ~ 5,000. Not cheap though.

BrianCunningham

--
    18 Dec 2009 10:22 AM

Just a follow up

Here's what I wound up going with

[url]http://aaaworktrucks.com/[/url]

[url]http://www.agricover.com/index.php/products/category/C9/[/url]

[youtube:CclRKu-JX5Q]
    [youtube:X7Q59UMq1Sc]

Primetime Glick
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    02 Jan 2010 10:13 AM

Primetime Glick wrote:
    maybe you just want to consider a van already outfitted with shelves. A Sprinter allows everyone but Lebron to stand up inside, and a DRW/Blue Tec can pull ~ 5,000. Not cheap though.

At the shop we just picked up a 2010 E-150 Cargo Van. It's BAD. For ~$25,000 out the DOOR (~$3,000 under MSRP, guess Ford is FINALLY hungry) we got a full outfit of trick steel cabinets and shelves (each with lots of hooks and slots), power locks/mirrors/windows/remote keyless, AC (of course), decent mirrors with a surprisingly useful convex portion, tilt/cruise (for the road trips), E-rated tires w/ full-size spare, external front-stack trans cooler, 7-pin trailer connector, 3.73 rear end, and Class III/IV bumper hitch. It has a 8520# GVWR and a 6000# MTW rating -- good enough for just about any typical open trailer/car combo and some gear.

A Sprinter would offer a little more headroom and a little better fuel economy, but I don't think that's worth the additional $15,000 Dodge-Fiat charges...

The van makes fumbling around with tools and gear in the bed of my F-150 feel like crawling into a shallow cave. If I didn't have to have a dating life, an E150 set up exactly like this would be the ultimate race weekend vehicle. Or at least second in line to a cabinet & LQ-equipped 52' Pace, but you get the idea.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner