Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
DJF1GP
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
24 Feb 2012 11:51 PM
    http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/B2D30347-0BBA-1B46-C88AA6C8E90BBF5C

Sign up now for next weekend's Meridian Autocross. It's sure to be a great weekend!
    E30bulldog
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    27 Feb 2012 05:55 PM
    Can't wait for the event...I'm ready to de thrown somebody
    iliad

--
    27 Feb 2012 07:12 PM
    I'm registered, be ready for double e30 trouble... :)
    tgeorge
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    28 Feb 2012 09:26 AM
    Aw snap!
    thatguyinms

--
    04 Mar 2012 07:01 PM
    Hey quick question....

What was the reason for the Mazdaspeed to be running CStock with no bumper ?

What is the SCCA rule on that?
    Underillusion

--
    04 Mar 2012 07:29 PM
    I was informed removal of a bumper would be considered a body modification to lighten the car, therefore placing my car in Street Modified. At the time my class was already SM so it didn't matter.
    With that being said, I was in SM strictly because of my carbon hood. Which in theory carbon fiber body panels are designed to lighten the car, as does removing bumpers, fenders, hoods etc. This particular issue came up at least twice by myself today, I feel the car was classed incorrectly and created an unfair advantage. When my car had a "body lightening mod" there was no mercy given for me, and the carbon hood weighed a few pounds more than the factory hood. So I don't get where the ones in positions of leadership felt that it was ok for this particular person to run in a stock class. Doesn't seem right to me
    thatguyinms

--
    04 Mar 2012 09:18 PM
    Wasn't this the same guy at Jackson who had removed the seats from a rental Jetta and no one said anything until someone contested it?
    edrice

--
    05 Mar 2012 06:45 AM

When Daniel bought the car it did not have a bumper so it wasn't a mod he did but was driving it as bought recently. I can understand how people can see this as being unfair so we can be more strict on tech/classing and actually letting cars run if they are not up to snuff with missing or loose body panels.

tgeorge
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 Mar 2012 10:41 AM
    According to SCCA solo rules, the bumper is only allowed to be removed when it is not an integral part of the bodywork. This is only allowed in the Prepared class. As Ed replied, the bumper cover did not come on Daniel's car. He is currently looking for one. Also, I was at the jackson event and once I was notified about the jetta having the seats removed, I went and took a look at the car in the paddock. The seats were not removed, he had reclined the passenger seat all the way down, which is allowed.

As a small region, we tend to be more lenient on some things for new drivers. We do try to inform the driver of what the strict rulebook states, so they will know how to build their car to a specific classification. Then again, if a significant protest would have been made this weekend to SCCA members coordinating the event, a decision to reclassify a car would have been discussed. I understand everyone is battling for points and every little bit counts. As far as "underillusion", if the carbon fiber hood was the only modification that put the car in SM and the driver was relatively new, leniency probably should have been given. Sorry about that one, I assume a judgement call was made at the time. On that note, we will add this as a topic of discussion at our next board meeting. Following the rulebook, word for word, might be our solution.

Lastly, a plastic bumper cover weighs about 5-8 pounds. Although removal of the bumper cover lightens the car, it also significantly impacts the aerodynamics of the car. In my opinion, I do not believe the removal of the bumper cover impacted his time. On the other hand, a stock car with lowering springs adds a significant handling upgrade. Increased camber and a lower roll center will significantly impact the car's steering and handling capabilities. This is kindof the thought process when looking to classify a car.
    Underillusion

--
    05 Mar 2012 11:18 AM
    I mentioned something twice about the bumper yesterday, it doesn't really matter to me to be honest, I was simply giving my input. No, removing a plastic bumper won't have an outstanding advantage, but not having a bumper cover and still being classed in a stock class will have an advantage. The car may not have had a bumper when he bought it, but at one point in time it did. I'm not trying to stir up a big stink, I'm just voicing my opinion on this subject. I don't see where leniency should be given to one and the rest get the shaft.

I spent a considerably large amount of money to buy factory panels to replace my carbon fiber just to be in a decent class. The tech inspection was done nicely this weekend, but that has nothing to do with the classification process.
    tgeorge
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 Mar 2012 12:09 PM
    Yeah I definitely see your point. I had slotted rotors on my stock honda a couple of years ago because i kept warping rotors. I was called out about it by a driver at an event, so I purchased stock rotors and changed them for the next event. I personally think the only solution to this problem is to stay strictly to the rules and no exceptions. If you don't have a bumper, whatever the circumstances are, you will run in the appropriate class until you get a bumper. Of course, I do not make all the decisions. This will be discussed by the board and a decision will be made by the next event. Thanks for your input, bringing these topics up for discussion is a good way to improve our region.
    thatguyinms

--
    05 Mar 2012 12:30 PM
    The febuary event wAsnt a big deal since he had just purchased the car that day. I understand the leeway there but subsequent events should have been held to a better standard.

I know meridian is a small event but it seems to take the fun out of it.
    aSlowHonda

--
    05 Mar 2012 06:04 PM
    I'm glad having my bumper fall off didn't move my class lol. I did run my fastest time of the day the one run I had without it tho.
    DJF1GP
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    05 Mar 2012 08:17 PM
    Appreciate the feedback, we will have to improve on that, sometimes we can be too laid back or too focused on our own runs/cars and forget about things like that.

Also I have to work late tonight so I wont have time to upload results until tomorrow.
    aSlowHonda

--
    05 Mar 2012 08:28 PM
    Did anyone get any decent pictures? I'd like to have something to remember this particular car from since I'll undoubtedly be getting rid of it soon. The red Prelude.
    thatguyinms

--
    06 Mar 2012 03:02 PM
    i'll check with courtland in the black fg1... he was taking some pics.
    thatguyinms

--
    DJF1GP
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Mar 2012 06:52 PM
    results and points are now updated. We've really found some quick drivers in Meridian, hope all you guys can make it to Columbus and Grenada events. Dont forget the Championships, several of you guys are in position to fight for year end trophy positions. They're nice big trophies 1st 2nd and 3rd in open and street tire classes. There is also a ladies championship trophy.

75 % of our events count towards the championship. This is because we realize no one is getting paid to do this and its hard to make all the events. We have 20 scheduled autocrosses on the calendar. So 15 total events will count towards the championship.
    distantechoes

--
    06 Mar 2012 08:15 PM
    DJF1GP wrote:
    results and points are now updated. We've really found some quick drivers in Meridian, hope all you guys can make it to Columbus and Grenada events. Dont forget the Championships, several of you guys are in position to fight for year end trophy positions. They're nice big trophies 1st 2nd and 3rd in open and street tire classes. There is also a ladies championship trophy.

75 % of our events count towards the championship. This is because we realize no one is getting paid to do this and its hard to make all the events. We have 20 scheduled autocrosses on the calendar. So 15 total events will count towards the championship.

Probably heard this question a thousand times, but I was just wondering why "Ladies" are in a separate championship series? Granted, it seems to fair to let inexperienced females compete against each other, but what happens when a female is putting up better times than any of us guys? Such a female would have a shot at the street tire or open championship. Just wondering about that, because seems a bit pointless and dare I say, sexist to separate female competitors from male.

DJF1GP
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Mar 2012 09:44 PM
    Ladies are free to compete in whatever class they like, there are separate Ladies classes at the Solo National Championships, so that's where we got it from.

We dont exclude them from open and street tire just offer another class. I think in the main scca forums this has been a topic that comes up from time to time. They may have more answers there.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    SPS 88x31 Button Woodhouse Motorsports
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner