Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
VW_rob_85
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
03 Nov 2009 09:51 PM

I'm heading to washington state and wondering what the best snowcross tires will be(and also how they do for daily driving in the winter months)?

From what i've been able to find out, i want narrower tires? So stockers are 205/55/16, i could probably squeeze on 195's, does that sound correct?

Thanks,

Rob

jamesp

--
    04 Nov 2009 08:59 AM

Generally, narrow = better.

For rallycross/snowcross, I like the Kelly Magna Grip and the Snowtrekker. They're cheap, and with a good tread pattern for snow.

I use them on my SRT-4 for winter rallycross.

IntrigueGX
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    04 Nov 2009 09:13 AM
    VW_rob_85 wrote:

I'm heading to washington state and wondering what the best snowcross tires will be(and also how they do for daily driving in the winter months)? 

From what i've been able to find out, i want narrower tires?  So stockers are 205/55/16, i could probably squeeze on 195's, does that sound correct?

Narrow tires only help if they can evacuate the slush from the actual pavement. For actual snow what is needed is lots of edges to cling to the snow, and wider is better. Glare ice is another thing. The basic strategy in ice racing is to avoid driving on bare ice if at all possible.

VW_rob_85
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Nov 2009 04:03 PM
    james phillips wrote:

Generally, narrow = better.

For rallycross/snowcross, I like the Kelly Magna Grip and the Snowtrekker. They're cheap, and with a good tread pattern for snow.

I use them on my SRT-4 for winter rallycross.

Where do you find these, google didn't locate any snowtrekkers(definately not retail).

jamesp

--
    04 Nov 2009 05:56 PM

Sorry, I misspelled them :)

Pacemark Snowtrakker.

They're an inexpensive tire, so a local shop probably carries them. Best rallycross snow tire out there, a buddy used an old set of mine on his Nationals winning PF car in 07.

mazdamike
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    05 Nov 2009 07:40 AM

I guess I'll throw a bone to Winterforce (made by Firestone but some are "unbranded") which for me was the cheapest tire available. I'm not sure about your size but check TireRack as they are discountinuing some.

While I'll agree mostly with the "wider for snow" comment; i think it is really more about the edges and especially - what's NOT there, ie siping/grooves. Because you asked about "street" driving as well, unless you are going to use them almost exclusively on snow; I WOULD go narrower. This (VERY generally) will give the car more weight per square inch of tire surface which helps cut through snow, slush, and water, ie. rain. Obviously a wider tire "could" have more voids than a narrower one, so it's back to some personal preference and brand choice.

The Winterforces were a big step up from the Blizzaks I had used on the street. They have a VERY open tread design and "stepped" blocks that help clean the tread. They are quite soft on the sidewall, in my opinion, and the combination "squirm" is a little disconcerting until you get used to it. However once you set the car they stick pretty good (cloverleafs) and you can push them; at the expense of tread life ;) ... I drive a 1st Gen RX-7 that NEVER gets parked due to road conditions!! Sometimes I am the only one ON the road, and we often park the Vibe and take it instead when it is "bad" (GOOD!!!) out.

Just like in Solo, I think some Rallycrossers go for too wide a tire. In Solo it's heat build up - not fast enough; and in Rallycross the extra width hurts being able to cut into the surface for grip. High power AWD cars probably don't care - they throw everything they pass over into next week anyway :)

mazdamike
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    12 Nov 2009 07:23 AM
    This should be a topic of its own I guess but, does anyone know of ANY head to head tire comparisons / tests for appropriate DOT tires for Rallycross?
    jamesp

--
    12 Nov 2009 07:41 AM
    I'm not aware of any such test. Perhaps we should do one :)
    Soloneon

--
    14 Nov 2009 06:27 PM
    I've had great luck with Hankook I-409's I-Pike, Paid $40 a tire for 14's last time. They drive like any all season on dry pavement. The other popular one in Colorado is the previously mentioned Firestone Winterforce.
    Macspeed
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Dec 2009 06:07 PM

I'm also looking for a snowcross/rallycross tire but I'm very limited in tire size since I'm driving a Trailblazer SS. I have to stick with a 20" tire so my choices are:

Blizzak DM-V1

Blizzak LM-60

Blizzak DM-Z3

Dunlop Grandtrek SJ5

Pirelli Scorpion Snow & Ice

The Blizzak DM-Z3 and the Dunlop are on closeout at Tire Rack for $99 each. I've read reviews on all and that didn't help, except fot that I read the DM-Z3 had a blowout issue. Which one should I go with?

Thanks!

jamesp

--
    06 Dec 2009 09:42 PM
    I like the Dunlop tread pattern better, for what it's worth.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner