Page 2 of 4 << < 1234 > >>
Author Messages
balefire
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
25 Jun 2010 01:53 PM
EBacon wrote:

Principally, I'd like to install the factory short shifter and get an aluminum pedal set. Not really sure how I can do the latter within the rules but am starting to investigate. Tips??

The sway bar seems pretty unimportant thus far; I'm not experiencing any inside rear wheel spin although I definitely have a ways to go to drive this amazing car to its maximum potential. Fun fun fun!!

If its in the Factory Order Guide, it's SCCA stock legal. The OEM short shift is there for your car, option XCZ.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/inde...-guide-us/

Some options in the Tequipment guide are installed at the factory while others are installed at the dealer. So, if you're going to run a Tequipment option, its best to find additional documentation that it could be factory installed. That being said, the Tequipment aluminum pedals might fit the "comfort and convenience" allowance for stock class as long as it provides no performance (e.g. easier heel toe).

No aftermarket front sway bar is less stiff than stock. The GT3 sway at full soft is considerably stiffer than the ROW M030.

EBacon

--
07 Jul 2010 09:51 PM

Well, I got the OEM wheel spacers & short shifter kit from my Porsche dealer today. And went ahead & ordered the Tarett GT3 sway bar today, too. (FYI, Ira Tarett now says his blade-style front sway bar rubs something when steering is at full lock and so it requires adding stops and thus is only recommended for pure track cars.) He says to start the sway bar at mid-stiff. I can't wait to get all the goodies on and see how she handles! Not much practice time before the Packwood NT, but whatever...I figure I'll be driving this car for years. Did I mention I've started going to HPDEs this year, too, and got solo qualified on my second track day? Thank you, autocross!!

Everybody on the fence, you seriously want a 1st-gen Cayman S. Check 'em out. Come have fun in AS!!

Cheers,
Liz

rigit
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
13 Jul 2010 12:41 PM

Myself and my Codriver and his wife will be driving thier Boxster S at nationals this year. and this will be our first nationals. I am excited. anyway the car will be all stock except for hoosiers in the recommended sizes 235/285 and the GT3 front swaybar. I noticed the bar is 5 position adjustable. so what have you guys found to be the best all around position to set it and forget it? bar is this one http://www.tarett.com/items/boxster...detail.htm

Edit, just noticed the post above stating start in the middle. will do that first.

rigit
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
14 Jul 2010 12:28 PM

I noticed the mention of the snorkel delete. How/Why is this considered Stock Legal?

and a question on the alignment statement that said max camber front, and as little as possible (none?) in the rear. Why little camber in the back, I am not getting that. is there a recommended alignment everyone is running?

RX7 KLR
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
14 Jul 2010 12:48 PM
rigit wrote:

I noticed the mention of the snorkel delete. How/Why is this considered Stock Legal?

You might want to reread Rad's post, he said illegal.

NJGT3
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
14 Jul 2010 12:51 PM
rigit wrote:

and a question on the alignment statement that said max camber front, and as little as possible (none?) in the rear. Why little camber in the back, I am not getting that. is there a recommended alignment everyone is running?

The only mention of snorkel delete is that it is illegal (same as prohibited, not legal, or not allowed in A-stock).

There is no perfect alignment, alignment depends on driving style and tires used. Even for the same tires and driving style, I've run multiple settings, the ones I like are slow on the timer, the ones I don't like are fast on the timer. The alignment recommendations given already are a good start, and you can take it from there.

rigit
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
15 Jul 2010 01:00 PM

Got it, I must have missed the il part [:$] i was wondering because as far as I knew stock = don't touch the frigin intake except for filter element.

Still don't get the rationale for less camber rear than front. everything else PBS performance oriented has been saying otherwise.

Thanks

kb_solo2
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
15 Jul 2010 01:08 PM
I haven't driven one of these, yet... but I would think that given the light front end, taking a little grip off the rear helps with corner exit... I know other rear/mid engined cars (mr2/elise) push on corner exit if rear grip is maximized.
EBacon

--
15 Jul 2010 01:18 PM

I have no idea why anybody would be saying to reduce negative camber in the rear compared to the front. Advice in the Cayman forums says others. And I've got a fine alignment with camber front/left -1.01, front/right -1.10, rear/left -1.84, rear/right -1.99. I'd like to have a little more negative camber in back for my DE days, actually.

Picking up the car with the GT3 sway bar in a few hours, sooooo excited!

Cheers,
Liz

Ruff

--
15 Jul 2010 01:21 PM

motoring wrote:
I haven't driven one of these, yet... but I would think that given the light front end, taking a little grip off the rear helps with corner exit... I know other rear/mid engined cars (mr2/elise) push on corner exit if rear grip is maximized.

After driving Liz's this weekend, I agree 100%. I lost front end grip in the sweepers; mid corner and on corner exit. Corner entry and transitions/slaloms were awesome though!

Orthonormal

--
15 Jul 2010 01:33 PM

I have heard of reducing the rear camber if the car is having a wheelspin problem. That allows the inside tire to place the tread flatter on the ground and gives it a little more traction.

Reducing rear camber could balance out the car if it has too much understeer, but I would rather try to do it with rear toe.

EBacon

--
15 Jul 2010 02:00 PM

My Cayman does not suffer from understeer, but Adam has a point about losing grip in the sweepers. Rear total toe is .23, FWIW. I'm thinking the front sway bar will buckle down the front and hold those front tires on the ground better.

Has anyone put anything wider than 245 in the front wheels of a Cayman S without ill effects? Adam suggested wider fronts but I don't think there's room.

Cheers,
Liz

Orthonormal

--
15 Jul 2010 08:27 PM

The stiffer front bar is quite likely to increase understeer -- that's the primary effect, along with reducing wheel spin. It may have a secondary effect of reducing lean and thereby making the front tires closer to vertical in cornering, which would in turn improve front grip.

I know that people have run 18" 285s on the front of 986 Boxsters. I don't know if the 987 has any changes that would cause those to rub.

NJGT3
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
15 Jul 2010 10:46 PM

The stiffer front bar reduces inside wheel spin on corner exit, the soft setting for the GT3 bar is stiffer than the stock bar.

Planet-9's advice is like "The Motley Fool".

Alignment is up to driver's preference.

Adam is a good driver, I saw him driving a Solstice, El Toro and Wendover.

Understeer can be your friend.

Based on my last 3 Nationals, a Cayman needs one alignment on day 1 and another on day 2.

Find a 303 Hp 2008 Cayman S Sport with PCCB and Bucket Seats. No shocks needed. Just 19" light wheels and fat tires.

rigit
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
16 Jul 2010 06:59 AM
give us some feedback on the bar. let me know what position works and if you changed the alignment. Ed just got his. but we wont get to put it through its paces on big concrete until mid august.
EBacon

--
16 Jul 2010 09:53 AM
NJGT3 wrote:

Based on my last 3 Nationals, a Cayman needs one alignment on day 1 and another on day 2.

Hey Rad,

What does this mean? Like, the Cayman's alignment changes on you after some hard driving, or different courses require different alignment prep?

RE: the bar, I don't have enough driving time with it to comment very intelligently but on my drive home there was absolutely no oversteer and the car felt more graceful and balanced than ever. Started on mid-stiff, per Ira's suggestion. Looking forward to some mountain road time this afternoon, and then a DE event this weekend.

Cheers,
Liz

balefire
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
11 Aug 2010 06:24 AM
EBacon wrote:

My Cayman does not suffer from understeer, but Adam has a point about losing grip in the sweepers. Rear total toe is .23, FWIW. I'm thinking the front sway bar will buckle down the front and hold those front tires on the ground better.

Has anyone put anything wider than 245 in the front wheels of a Cayman S without ill effects? Adam suggested wider fronts but I don't think there's room.

Cheers,
Liz

Some have noted rubbing with 275 up front. 255 will fit for sure. I wish Kumho made a 255 in 18"

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...tox-2.html

Orthonormal

--
11 Aug 2010 10:49 AM
balefire wrote:
Some have noted rubbing with 275 up front. 255 will fit for sure. I wish Kumho made a 255 in 18"

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...tox-2.html

That thread is about what fits on a Carrera, on this thread we're discussing the Cayman. Are the front suspension, spindle, and fender totally identical between the Cayman and Carrera?

I'd like to hear from the folks who have run 285/30-18 on the front of a 986 Boxster. Is there a reason that wouldn't work on the 987 Cayman? Are the fender shapes different? Will the increase in front wheel width increase the mounted tire width enough to prevent a proper fit under the fender? There seemed to be plenty of space between the inside edge of the 245/35-18 V710 and the shock body, with the factory optional 5mm spacer installed.

Banannie

--
11 Aug 2010 10:55 AM
our 265/19's rub heavily on the strut (with offset maximized and the factory spacers)
AbePotter

--
11 Aug 2010 09:06 PM
AFAIK, all 986s and narrowbody 996s have the same front body and suspension. Same for the 987/997s, but with a few tweaks to the suspension pieces. The hole where the front tire fits in the car is the same on all 4.
On our Cayman S Sport, (19 only), a 265/35-19 Hoosier burns (!) the bottom of the spring perch and subsequently deforms the inside of the front tires after a few runs. The static clearance is roughly 5mm with sticker tires. This is with aftermarket wheels with a 46mm offset (equivalent to stock 5mm spacer and 6mm (1/4") spacer). With 5mm more spacer, the tires touch the outer fenders in some turns, and rub the bejeezus out of the liners.
The rear? You could cram 19x11s with 305s no sweat.
Problem is, with enough front bar to keep both rear tires on the ground, the car pushes like a pig. Fun.

I'm gonna try 235/35-19s all around next week to see if the car works better.

The car would be awesome with ASP mods.

Abe

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button
Woodhouse Motorsports
SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
Vorshlag 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner