Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>
Author Messages
Ruff

--
11 Aug 2010 09:13 PM

Abe,

is a combination of height and width that causes the tire to contact the strut, or mainly just one or the other? Can you guys not run 18s? Cuz again, after driving Liz's, it really needed more front tire for my driving style (I'm pretty good in sweepers and that's where I needed more tire). So if you could go 18's, I think the 285/30 might fit being as its sooo short, and it'll be about the same width as your 265 pinched down on that 8" wheel.

AbePotter

--
11 Aug 2010 09:29 PM
Nope, the Sport was not orderable with 18's. But, we got the order guide this week (to validate our correct assumption on the 18's) and found out it WAS orderable with 8.5" fronts and 11.5" rears. Too bad we don't need more rear tire!
Banannie

--
11 Aug 2010 09:31 PM
Oops, that was Annie posting - Abe didn't sign off from my profile [:P]
Ruff

--
11 Aug 2010 09:54 PM

AbePotter wrote:
Nope, the Sport was not orderable with 18's. But, we got the order guide this week (to validate our correct assumption on the 18's) and found out it WAS orderable with 8.5" fronts and 11.5" rears. Too bad we don't need more rear tire!

Ouch, Hoosier needs to make you guys a 285/25/19 Lol.

EBacon

--
12 Aug 2010 10:53 PM
AbePotter wrote:

The car would be awesome with ASP mods.

Abe

Abe, What are some of these ASP mods? It sounds intriguing somehow, though don't know if I could do it personally not having the technical expertise. Gaining it with the Cayman, though!

Cheers,
Liz

racingfool
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
12 Aug 2010 11:09 PM
EBacon wrote:
What are some of these ASP mods?

Stiff springs, any wheels, light flywheel, limited slip differential, ECU flash, race gas.
And it would be in BSP not ASP.
EBacon

--
13 Aug 2010 11:36 AM

racingfool wrote:
EBacon wrote:

Stiff springs, any wheels, light flywheel, limited slip differential, ECU flash, race gas.

Ooh, ooh, ooh, dear heavens...all mods that would make the Cayman even more fun at the track!!! [H]

NJGT3
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
13 Aug 2010 12:08 PM

Be careful with the order guide. There was a misprint, and Porsche put the specs for the Carrera Sport Wheels and Turbo wheels from the 997 in the 987 Cayman S Sport order guide. The correct Cayman S wheels were: 8 and 9x18, 8 and 9.5 x 19, 8.5 and 10 x 19, for the S Sport only the 8/9.5 x 19 and 8.5/10x19 were available.

I ran 265/35R19 A6 in the front last year (on 8" x 19" wheels) I used (2) 5mm spacers. No rubbing in the strut, but it rubbed with just one 5mm spacer.

When I tested all the 19" A6 sizes in the F430 (except the 325/30R19), I found out that the 235x19 and 265x19 A6 were the same width, the 265 was taller.

Stiffening the front bar prevents the tires to touch the outer fender, even if the tire sticks out a little.

There is no such rule as tires have to be covered by the fenders in stock classes anymore. I have been told that the Pontiac Fiero came from the showroom with tires sticking out of the fenders, and the whole rule became moot. Check the field of SS, C5 Z06 and Vipers with tires sticking beyond the fenders (and I think the Solstice too).

The 996/986 use a wheel carrier (hub) with smaller track than the 987/997. The 987/997 pushes the strut outboard, decreasing space available for wide tires compared to 986/996. I ran 285 under my stock 996 GT3 front fenders, I cannot run 285 under the fenders in the Cayman.

It seems like the Cayman S Sport uses the spring perches 10mm lower, rather than 10mm shorter springs.

racingfool
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
13 Aug 2010 01:11 PM
EBacon wrote:

racingfool wrote:
EBacon wrote:

Ooh, ooh, ooh, dear heavens...all mods that would make the Cayman even more fun at the track!!! [H]

And while you're at it, GT3 control arms, smaller steering wheel, racing seat.
rigit
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
16 Aug 2010 06:04 AM
FYI, this past weekend was our first time running the car with the aggressive alignment and the new sway bar, oh and on concrete. we started with it set in the middle and would see how it acted and adjust from there. well it pushed like a tractor. we were going to adjust it, but since we were traveling to another region both of us assumed the other would bring tools, so it didn't work out. we just tried our best to drive around the problem for the weekend. so it still was plenty fast. Paxing at third overall behind a full tilt boogey CSP miata and an HS focus, both with good drivers.
rigit
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
10 Sep 2010 12:39 PM

my feedback from nationals and report on the PBS in AS here http://sccaforums.com/forums/430513...spx#430513

Orthonormal

--
10 Sep 2010 05:29 PM
Rad, Eric reported that you had 285s up front. Is that true? How did you make them fit?
rigit
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
10 Sep 2010 06:47 PM

Sorry Rad, Looks like I am giving away your secrets.

yeah, 285's all around + a 5mm spacer up front to keep them off the struts.

its funny because Ed went to the Hoosier trailer to pick up a pair of 285s for the front to run day two, and Radomin was in there looking for another set as well. too bad they were sold out. But it was probably for the best because we didn't realize the spacer was needed for them.

00R101

--
13 Sep 2010 01:13 PM

Orthonormal wrote:
Rad, Eric reported that you had 285s up front. Is that true? How did you make them fit?

285s fit on the front of 987s (and 997s) just fine in stock form. Apparently they do not fit on last generation 986s (and 996s) - without rolling the front fenders.

John V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
13 Sep 2010 02:41 PM
00R101 wrote:

Orthonormal wrote:

285s fit on the front of 987s (and 997s) just fine in stock form. Apparently they do not fit on last generation 986s (and 996s) - without rolling the front fenders.

Dave Hedderick had 285s on the front of his dad's 986S at the 2008 Nationals.

AbePotter

--
13 Sep 2010 04:26 PM
John V wrote:
00R101 wrote:

Orthonormal wrote:

Dave Hedderick had 285s on the front of his dad's 986S at the 2008 Nationals.

Hoosier 285-18s will fit on the front of 996s and 986s just fine with the exact offset necessary to clear the struts.

What makes a difference between a Super Stock 996 GT3 (with the front coilovers maxed out to the bottom), and a CS/BS 986 Boxster / Plain-Jane 996 Carrera is about 1.5 to 2 inches of ride height.

If you lowered a 986 Boxster or a 996 with aftermarket springs, the 285s would rub stock fenders.

Abe

klie5111

--
04 Feb 2011 01:32 PM
So, to bring this thread back, early on in the thread everyone has stated the ideal Cayman S (sport or otherwise) should have PASM. Is anyone out there running aftermarket shocks, rendering PASM as less of a necessity? Does someone make a shock that would be comparable to the stock setup? I'm still trolling around thinking about getting one but want to price out a competitive car and am curious if anything has changed.
hanhenze

--
04 Feb 2011 03:56 PM
klie5111 wrote:
So, to bring this thread back, early on in the thread everyone has stated the ideal Cayman S (sport or otherwise) should have PASM. Is anyone out there running aftermarket shocks, rendering PASM as less of a necessity? Does someone make a shock that would be comparable to the stock setup? I'm still trolling around thinking about getting one but want to price out a competitive car and am curious if anything has changed.

I ran my '07 Cayman S at Blytheville last fall with a completely stock setup. It has Sports Crono and 19" wheels. Although I've read many posts exclaiming the virtues of 18" wheels on these cars, I believe the thicker side walls on the 30 series 19" tires will help overcome the lack of PASM. Note that if your going to run r-comps you definitely want to max the negative camber. I unfortunately only got about 30 runs on the first set of Hoosier A6s on stock alignment.

balefire
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
07 Feb 2011 12:06 PM
klie5111 wrote:

Koni does not make their off the shelf sport yellows for the boxster or cayman as far as I know.

I do know of someone running a custom Koni DA (28 series I think) for his 986. Maybe its possible for the 987 too.

I don't know of any other shock possible for the Cayman or Boxster.

NJGT3
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
10 Feb 2011 07:11 PM
Contact Greg Fordahl at Fordahl MotorSports. I spoke to him at Nationals in 2010 and he can work on custom valved external adjustable Cayman shocks that work with the stock springs and struts. Making them work with the stock struts, springs and strut tops is the difficult part, and Greg already knows how. If you want to do the same with a 996 Carrera for A-stock, Greg is the guy.

The car needs way stiffer shocks, given the soft springs.

The car with PASM has stiffer springs, so that's the ideal car. The Sport Chrono package when set to Sport has a better response from the gas pedal (the stock cayman gas pedal is a little laggy). The Cayman S Sport Edition (303 Hp) can only use 19" in A-Stock per the rules, so somehow that car has to be converted to non-Sport Edition to be able to run 18" wheels. Find a standard Cayman S with PASM and Sport Chrono.

Almost impossible to find a 2008 Cayman S with PCCB and the optional carbon seats. To retrofit the seats is $6,500 plus labor, and the brakes another $15,000 plus labor (new uprights needed). The ideal car is 100 lbs lighter than my car at Nationals, and we weighed at 2,960 lbs running on the fuel fumes.

I have run the car on 18 and 19, the car on 18 is a lot faster (nor barely, but a lot). The 19" 295 is a 26.1" tall tire, the 285x18 is 24.9" and wider than the 295, much better gearing in 2nd gear for autoX, the car stays over 4,000 rpm most of the time (where the cam plays nicely up to redline).

Max-out front camber, and run the minimum possible rear camber, 0 toe rear, a little toe-out front. Don't forget to install the 997 GT3 front sway bar, in the softest or one from softest setting ( I ran it in the middle at Nationals, and every co-driver complained about massive understeer).

I'm getting a very long life out of my 285/30R18 A6 in the Cayman with just 1 degree of negative camber (maxed out front, minimum rear). On my practice wheels (Chinese heavy knock-off Porsche wheels), I have a set of A6 that has 56 autoX laps, 25 laps around the Miami Speedway (HomeStead), 200+ street miles, and they are still good, I have never flipped them. I will run them next month at Homestead until I cord them.

I have followed the Cayman prices in the last 2 years, and they hit rock bottom a year ago, now they look a little higher. It's a nice car that needs lots of power.

You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner