Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
mazdamike
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
15 Mar 2012 01:37 AM

Seems kinda quiet around here, any body alive? :)

OK, got you to look. I know we still have some folks from the far east that attend MiDiv events once in a while, and you have probably checked out the saga of losing and finding tracks over here. Memphis is back and opening the MiDiv season with a Double Rational on March 31 / April 1; and they need entries. Right now workers out-number drivers 3-2! The new owners of the track are planning to build a whole new Road Course, but how far will that go if they can't get events, and how can the Region put them on without getting the numbers? They promise to treat you well,,,,,,, ;))

In St. Louis, Gateway is coming back on-line.

I'm sure some of you have been keeping up with the news here in St. Louis, and pretty soon we will be back to taking for granted a local track. On March 3rd racers and fans across the spectrum of motor sports, Drag, Oval, Road Course, Drifting, PDX, SOLO, etc., came together for a work party to ready the facility opening day. Approx. 80 in total re-built tire walls, raked up leaves and trash, pulled weeds and trees, weed-eated, cut grass, and spread nearly 300 gallons of paint.

A week later on March 10th St. Louis Region hosted a "Kick-Off / Open House" for the general public to take a look, and for the club to perform numerous tech inspections for SOLO and Club Racers, sign up new members, and talk up our various activities. NHRA also held Chassis Certifications to get many of the local racers up to date. Because everyone signed a waiver on the way in, we know that over ONE THOUSAND racers and fans showed up!

Normal activities will resume this Saturday the 17th with Test & Tune Drag Racing. On the schedule so far during the year it will again be home to ADRL, NHRA, NASA, BDRA, Monster Mopar, and several more, including the full range of SCCA activities, SOLO, PDX, Club Racing, Street Survival, etc.. Nobody liked sitting out a year and the enthusiasm seems to keep building. Hopefully you will once again put "Gateway" in your plans this season. Follow the link below for a thread that tells the story of the last 30 days; and the beginning of a new, brighter future for racing in St. Louis.

http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/fo...cope/posts

mazdamike
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 Mar 2012 04:45 PM

Yes, This is a cross post from Club Racing, where a discussion turned to how to grow the sport.

While there are many things that "could" be done to help racing attendance, the list of "not able" to do is nearly identical. I wasn't trying to inspire the drilling of a new well, but rather pumping more out of what we already have. I'm also not throwing stones really 'cause I don't even have a glass house. I am frankly lucky to have gas money to get to an event, or find a ride with someone already going. "if", and it's a big "IF", we could just get all our current drivers to add just 1 more weekend to their 2012 schedule - we would improve the scenario at every Region or track. And then, if that additional weekend were not at everyone's "favorite" track but instead at one that truly needs the help it would be even more effective.

I don't pretend to know what the situation is anywhere else in the Country, though I can well imagine that most are hurting to some extent. The last 2 - 3 years here in MiDiv have not been too much fun. We have had 2 tracks closed, sold, and now reopened; and another under water for a couple of months, plus at least one weekend canceled for low entries. This has it's toll on workers as well as some move on to other interests and others are less inclined to travel especially with small car counts.

Memphis's track - no one's favorite - was closed for a year and then bought by folks that want to upgrade the entire facility, including a totally new Road Course. But they have to have a good feeling that the investment will be worth it so they want to see the "need" and "interest" of those who will use it. The Region also has to have the commitment of workers to put the event on, especially now that SCCA wants to get a commitment of the workers in advance. Well, they got that commitment from the workers - many brand new "local" ones and many from out of town. The last time a looked several days ago, there were 50% more workers than entries for the event in a couple of weeks - and this event will be a "Double Rational"! Mid-South Region NEEDS a good influx of entries not only from MiDiv, but also from other Divisions who are even closer by miles.

In a couple of months St. Louis Region's Race also is required to have workers signed up in advance. We will likely get that commitment from the workers also even though we are coming off a year in mothballs. Although the facility is on track to get some improvements, I don't think a "new" Road Course" is in the works yet. OUR new owner is a fellow SCCA Member who has taken a risk to bring back events over the full range of motor sports from Drag Racing - local weekly shows but also NHRA, ADRL, and BDRA, Club Racing and PDX, Autocrossing, and hopefully and likely Oval Events. Part of the tracks need for success is tied to the Regions need for success, and that means entries for Race weekends.

But I'm only putting in print what anyone reading this already knows, right? If you are a "race" driver and possibly can, I am certain that adding just one more weekend to your schedule would be appreciated. If you can make that weekend going to a track/Region that needs the help the most, your gift will be multiplied even more. If you do, it will be even easier to challenge the workers to do their part as well. You could also help by passing this sentiment along to others too, so please do! And trust me, no one is likely feeling the financial squeeze more than me, so I don't make this request/challenge lightly. :))

mazdamike
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    25 Mar 2012 03:45 PM
    Entries are increasing, are you among them yet?

Well the number of drivers has finally reached the number of workers! Of course they do still need more yet. MidSouth has decided to add a Friday Practice Day AND dropped the late fee too. First Racing of MiDivs 2012 season is the "Double Rational" next weekend March 30 - April 1.

http://www.midsouthscca.org/index.p...=2914#2914
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner