Vorshlag 468x60 Banner
PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 15 Dec 2009 11:58 AM by  Joe_914
Need a tow vehicle, what's better than a 3/4 ton diesel dually?
 19 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Outlaw26

--
13 Nov 2009 12:05 AM

A semi tractor.

I can't believe that nobody is suggesting to everyone that a semi tractor, is actually more ideal for towing than a 3/4 dually diesel for towing. And, they can be had cheaper.

LOL

Steve Hoelscher
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    13 Nov 2009 08:36 AM

HA! Well, having worked on a Pro team that used a Freightliner I can tell you that yes, they tow better than a pickup and they can be bought fairly cheap these days. However, there are lots of downside issues. You have to have a CDL, stop at the scales, maintain a fuel log and are subject to all of the Federal regulation of a commercial truck. Not to mention that my home owners association frowns on parking a simi in my driveway. And if I could, there wouldn't be room for anything else and the tractor itself would break up the driveway.

Then there is the cost of operation. Ever price a set of tires for a simi? An oil change? Brake job?

00R101

--
    13 Nov 2009 09:13 AM

Steve,

Your car is light. Do you have an open trailer? If so a "better" tow vehicle is a Honda Ridgeline. Reliable, comfortable, good fuel economy, great resale value, lots of storage (can you say trunk?), handles well, great in snow. Sure its not macho but I know you are secure in your masculinity and don't need to prove it with the biggest tow vehicle in the paddock [:D]

l33t9eek

--
    13 Nov 2009 11:44 AM

LOL you're trying to sell a ridgeline to Steve on lots of storage?! ROFL! I think he's got as much storage as he needs in his current setup.

Sorry but you just made my day.

Steve Hoelscher
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    13 Nov 2009 12:29 PM

00R101 wrote:

Your car is light. Do you have an open trailer? If so a "better" tow vehicle is a Honda Ridgeline. Reliable, comfortable, good fuel economy, great resale value, lots of storage (can you say trunk?), handles well, great in snow. Sure its not macho but I know you are secure in your masculinity and don't need to prove it with the biggest tow vehicle in the paddock [:D]

Alan, dang you, now I have to clean my monitor and keyboard. It being Friday the 13th, I was drinking a Dr. Pepper when I read your post. Dr. Pepper really makes the keyboard sticky....

I can't aford to tow with a ridgeline because I am no longer in the transmission business. ridgeline? Storage? The bed is so tiny it should be called a "crib". Besides, I can just about fit a ridgeline in the back of my van.

Dzmyth

--
    13 Nov 2009 01:39 PM
    I just want to know who sells a 3/4 ton Diesel Dually...??
    Steve Hoelscher
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    13 Nov 2009 02:01 PM

Dzmyth wrote:

Oh, there are plenty of 3/4 ton diesel duallys out there. Just take your garden variety 1 ton diesel dually and down grade it.

This one has so much stereo equipment in it the suspension bottomed out.

SCCAForums Image

soloesp
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    13 Nov 2009 08:44 PM
    Steve Hoelscher wrote:

Dzmyth wrote:

Oh, there are plenty of 3/4 ton diesel duallys out there. Just take your garden variety 1 ton diesel dually and down grade it.

This one has so much stereo equipment in it the suspension bottomed out.

SCCAForums Image

I certainly hope you don't think SHE is the downgrade...Maybe the green color?

mw

MDA_II

--
    16 Nov 2009 11:08 PM

Ha! There used to be this guy out of L.A. that used a Ford Explorer to tow his NSX to races in PHX when I lived down there. He couldn't quite figure out why he always had some type of catastrophic failure EVERY time (axle failures, radiator failures, brakes, transmissions) We would try and tell him "you need a real pickup" but he was one of those types that knew more than everyone.

Best bet: Toterhome. If that's not an option, get a Ford Powerstroke and get a jake brake on it. Or one of the later Chevrolet Diesels with the Allison transmission, they have a grade braking logic built into the trans and engine management system.

Joe_914
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 Nov 2009 07:39 AM

2nd the Ford Powerstrokes. and Duramax.

If you can hook a chain around it you an pull it.

Factory rating of 12,500 is way under what they will tow.

My 8 ft bed will swallow the Ridgeline and the race car.

Steve Hoelscher
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    17 Nov 2009 08:54 AM

soloesp wrote:

I certainly hope you don't think SHE is the downgrade...Maybe the green color?

Noooo! She's no "downgrade". I was just noting that a truck that starts out with the frame sitting on the ground probably doesn't have much load carrying capacity.

Oh, and thanks again for your help Mark. It is greatly appreciated. The guys at the airport took care of me just fine.

BrianCunningham

--
    17 Nov 2009 10:55 AM

Better to have too much truck than too little

The dealers are making some great deals out there.

I just picked up a brand new 3/4 ton (though not a diesel) 4x4 6sp auto for $23k

Outlaw26

--
    21 Nov 2009 07:45 AM

Zink

3/4 ton, 1 ton, pffffft whatever.

You get the point.

Overkill is the point and more overkill is better than plain overkill.

lol

SteveH

yeah, I would take a lot of semi tires and brake jobs to recover the difference between a used $15K semi, a $20K medium duty, and a new $50K superpenistruck. Then again, if you could afford a new medium duty truck, I doubt that normal maintenance items would be a financial concern. And of course the difference in some engine work on a Powerstroke versus a toyota 3.4 v6 would be, what, about the same order of magnitude from superpenistruck to the OTR tractor. Guess the same on some suspension/driveline repairs on, say a F350 dually, and a FJ cruiser....

[H]

Point of this whole thread is that guys in this forum are asking if it's ok that they tow something within the manufacturers recommended towing limits and half the guys on the forum are telling these other guys that they can't do it unless they get a truck that won't fit in their garage or HOA's driveway parking restrictions, or costs them the same as their mortgage.

I'm not saying that superpenistrucks don't have a place in the world, I just resent some people's implication that you can't haul a single 2x4 or maybe a small car without one. Some people here actually tow with their cars!

Steve Hoelscher
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    22 Nov 2009 08:07 PM
    Outlaw26 wrote:

Point of this whole thread is that guys in this forum are asking if it's ok that they tow something within the manufacturers recommended towing limits and half the guys on the forum are telling these other guys that they can't do it unless they get a truck that won't fit in their garage or HOA's driveway parking restrictions, or costs them the same as their mortgage.

I'm not saying that superpenistrucks don't have a place in the world, I just resent some people's implication that you can't haul a single 2x4 or maybe a small car without one. Some people here actually tow with their cars!

Having towed with everything from a mini-van to a tractor, I have always been an advocate of "right sizing" my tow vechicle. Yes, overkill is good... but expensive. A $50,000 turbodiesel dually will tow your kart just fine, but is that an efficient use of your resources. I tow a 1750 lbs car on a 1400 lbs trailer with about 1000 lbs of equipment/luggage/people with a half ton van powered by a 5 liter gas V8. Sure a diesel dually would make the job a little easier. But why do that? The van works great for the job at hand. It tows the rig comfortably at the speeds I want on the roads I travel and cost per mile of operation is hard to beat. And I can park it in my driveway without being scolded by my HOA.

Joe_914
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    23 Nov 2009 10:52 AM

Yup used to tow with my f150. Cram the FJ Kart in the bed. tow my 914 on a beast of a steel trailer. Towed OK. MPG sucked and git up and go was non existant.

Now do the same with 7.3L Super Duty 5 MPG Better towing and 2 MPG better empty, Git up and go when ever I need to.

Got talked into transporting 270 cones, couple tables and assorted crap back from an event (club Trailer issues). Put the cones in (heavy suckers) Kart on top hooked up car on trailer and away I went no problems. 1/2 ton truck would not have had a chance.

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    29 Nov 2009 02:03 PM
    The new Porsche Panamera 4-dr sedan has a 5000# tow capacity, might as well tow in style ... [H]
    Dave Hardy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    29 Nov 2009 05:06 PM

TeamRX8 wrote:
    The new Porsche Panamera 4-dr sedan has a 5000# tow capacity, might as well tow in style ... [H]

Figures that someone who loves the Ridgeline would find the Panamera stylish. Time to get the glasses strengthened man! :)

EWCMR2
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    11 Dec 2009 07:52 PM

Steve Hoelscher wrote:
    turbodiesel dually will tow your kart just fine

Hey, I have multiple karts in my trailer! Just one kart would be silly[:)]

mphsrex

--
    14 Dec 2009 10:12 PM
    I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4 door. Towing cap of 6500lbs, 25mpg, and room for the kids. Got it for well under 20k with 40k miles
    Joe_914
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    15 Dec 2009 11:58 AM

6500 pounds is NOT better than a 3/4 ton truck required by the OP.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner