17 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
STiylish

--
13 Nov 2009 04:25 PM

Hi

I am wondering if anyone has a trailer stored in their garage that can fit a Lotus Elise on it also in the garage. I am looking at getting a home that has a rather restrictive HOA which only allows trailers that are stored in closed garages. The house has a 2 car garage and I would like to find a open trailer that would allow driving a car onto the trailer to park it in the garage. Of course I could store the trailer next to the Lotus in the garage but then there would be no room for a daily driver in the garage which would suck in the wintertime. Also it would be possible to drive a more normal car on the trailer if that makes it easier. If the Lotus was an autox only car then storing it on the trailer would be better since it would not be driven regularly but it is driven regularly about 9 months of the year.

Thanks

Nate

Chris Raglin
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    13 Nov 2009 05:03 PM

Something like what I built to haul my Civic would work. This trailer easily fits in a 20ft deep standard small garage with the car on in. That being said, I still pay to store the trailer at a mini-storage place rather than keep the car on it all the time.

almost heaven

--
    22 Nov 2009 12:28 PM
    I'm interested in doing the same thing. However, unless the HOA owns the street in question, their rules about what you park there are invalid as long as you keep the vehicle current on local dot laws such as registration and inspection. But, you may have to go to court to make the HOA understand that.
    REALSPEED74STS

--
    22 Nov 2009 01:22 PM

try trailex trilaers, mine fits in a 20 foot garage, its 19ft 4 inches and would easily fit an elise

heres a link for the triler info

http://rockstrailersales.com/search...sku=758105

StrokerAce
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    22 Nov 2009 02:02 PM

Alternative. Depending on the height clearance in the garage. How about a lift. Could leave trailer or car up on lift and park car or trailer below it. Bonus of having a lift to work on car.

Dave Hardy
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    22 Nov 2009 03:22 PM

almost heaven wrote:
    I'm interested in doing the same thing. However, unless the HOA owns the street in question, their rules about what you park there are invalid as long as you keep the vehicle current on local dot laws such as registration and inspection. But, you may have to go to court to make the HOA understand that.

Not in GA. You have to sign the HOA contract to move in, and it can have all sorts of stipulations, including how many vehicles and where they can and cannot be.

This is a big part of why I don't live in an HOA neighborhood.

marka
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    22 Nov 2009 04:45 PM

Howdy,

DILYSI Dave wrote:

This one.

Mark

STiylish

--
    24 Nov 2009 10:04 AM

I was looking that I could find a place in a non HOA neighborhood but all newer homes in my area have them. Places that do not have an HOA are either very old and would require significant maintenance and upgrading over time or they are standalone homes that do not have sewer or gas hookup or Verizon FiOS availability. Oil or propane heat here costs almost twice as much as natural gas and requires you to schedule deliveries etc.

I found a folding trailer here

http://www.kendonusa.com/folding-ca...railer.htm

And the 8112 version of this was also recommended on lotus talk

http://www.alumaklm.com/8114_utilit...ailer.html

Which at an overall length of 193 inches it could be short enough that maybe I could put ramps behind it in the garage and pull the car partilally on the trailer without having to spend a lot of time getting on and off the trailer everytime We want to drive the Elise.

Finally there is the option of storing an open trailer hidden under the deck if it fits.

or gettting this http://www.boefabrication.com/products.aspx Lotus tow bar

PCalhoun
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    24 Nov 2009 11:32 AM

Yes, it can be done, however, the first question to answer is how much room are you willing to take up in the garage. As the footprint for the trailer will obviously be larger than the Elise. Not having looked up the exact dimensions of the Elise I would suspect it could fit on a 7x12 bed trailer, or 14 at the most, which is a pretty compact (add approx 4' for tongue). The next question would be steel or aluminum and that would be determined by (1) your budget (2) your tow vehicle, (3) durability/resale, and (4) prestige.

Aluma builds a good quality product, but they are built in Iowa. So you will need to find a local dealer and see what sort of freight charges are on top of the retail selling price. ATC is another quality aluminum trailer manufacturer who does both open & enclosed models.

TrailEx models are very popular in the Porsche world for their light-weight, but I question their long-term durability, as they are typically bolt together models NOT welded. They do hold their value well due to demand and the perception of quality and light-weight. TrailEx is built in Ohio, so that would be less distance for freight.

Most of the other small open car and utility trailer manufacturers will be regionally based or custom built by local fabricators. Freight being a major issue as to why there are few national companies in the market segment.

And whatever you decide on stay away from that fold-up model. They are downright scary when I see them for bikes and to haul a car on one would not give me any peace of mind.

Dick Rasmussen
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    24 Nov 2009 05:43 PM

Crazy (or maybe not so crazy) ideas:

Do any of the houses you are considering have enough space for either side yard or back yard access for the trailer, especially if the trailer is light enough to tip on its side on a dolly of some sort? Could you then have a nice looking "storage" shed or "lean to" for the trailer? Use some sort of small but tall enough "engine hoist" sort of setup on the dolly to tilt the trailer?

If the garage is wide enough you could even tilt the trailer on its side in the garage with the help of a hoist/winch on the wall/ceiling.

Also, for moving the trailer in/out of the garage if you go that way think about using a winch on the back wall of the garage and a large wheel on the trailer jack instead of trying to back the trailer in with the tow vehicle. RV and boat dealers are likely to offer a variety of "trailer moving/storing" stuff.

For a low car like an Elise (or formula car [:D]) you wouldn't necessarily have to have a lift. You could build a STRONG ramp/open deck setup above where the car would park and then winch the trailer up on the ramp/deck. Probably should involve a structural engineer before building something or using the house to mount a winch to lift the trailer. Obviously garage door clearance with ramps is an issue (headroom and door closing). You probably want to try for garage door openers that mount on the header above the door. Also, if possible go for a single 2 car door versus 1 single car doors. And the maximum width/height you can get.

Dick

CM85 (no HOA and lots of space [:D] )

Primetime Glick
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    25 Nov 2009 07:04 AM
    STiylish wrote:

Hi

I am wondering if anyone has a trailer stored in their garage that can fit a Lotus Elise on it also in the garage. I am looking at getting a home that has a rather restrictive HOA which only allows trailers that are stored in closed garages. The house has a 2 car garage and I would like to find a open trailer that would allow driving a car onto the trailer to park it in the garage. Of course I could store the trailer next to the Lotus in the garage but then there would be no room for a daily driver in the garage which would suck in the wintertime. Also it would be possible to drive a more normal car on the trailer if that makes it easier. If the Lotus was an autox only car then storing it on the trailer would be better since it would not be driven regularly but it is driven regularly about 9 months of the year.

Thanks

Nate

If money was not an issue and you wanted to get your Batman/Bruce Wayne on... http://www.aclifts.com/Parking/pss-7.asp

Consider the dolly (preferebaly a MT80HD?) as someone else suggested. Move/tilt it wherever you want. Of course all the annoying things about towing with dollies will apply.

Also, doesn't sound like you want to, but consider another neighborhood without a HOA. If the only decent neighborhoods have HOAs -- as is often the case in S. FL -- try to find one with a relatively low monthly fee (<$100) and less restrictions - i.e., it's limited to a gate and sign or two, and the neighorhood doesn't run a nazi regime with regards to cars, parking, uniformity of the houses, etc.

Walk/drive through the neighborhood more than a few times; see if there are nastygrams stuck to people's cars for having 1 wheel on the grass, having a white truck in the driveway, or for putting out their trash a day early by mistake. See how uniform the houses look; if "very" it could present lots of annoyances and expenses down the road when it comes to upgrades, alterations, and/or maintenance. And of course, see how open the HOA are about explaining the operating budget and the decision-making process. Red flags should arise if there are "rules" quoted that you can't find anywhere codified in the HOA docs, and if you can't immediately get a fully line-itemed annual operating budget. Also, if there are common facilities in disrepair, don't expect that situation to get any better (i.e., foreclosures and job losses cutting into the HOA's revenues).

I could go on and on, but from personal experiences, take the nearest Space Shuttle away from any associations. IMHO, they are one of the worst creations mankind has ever devised. Mostly because they are, by design (i.e., not-for-profit corporations), ran by volunteers stumbling to make decisions about things they know nothing about... not paid professionals during business hours.

And oh yeah, HOAs are often ran by vengeful, paranoid, secretive, controlling individuals, and allow for an incredible amount of corruption and waste to occur.... rarely at the feel-good point of inception but certainly down the road. Caveat emptor...

TeamRX8
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    29 Nov 2009 01:57 PM

DILYSI Dave wrote:

Funny, this is exactly why I do prefer an HOA community. [:P]

19 - 20 feet deep is typical for standard garages, though I have seen less, and it will suck up half of the typical non-tandem two car garage in it's entirety if you're at the minimum. That means you can't walk around it or get out the side door next to it, etc. Then you have to pull it out everytime to get the car on/off etc.

In reality, this thread should be titled "need a garage for my trailer/car". Think about it .... [;)]

Primetime Glick
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    30 Nov 2009 06:27 AM
    Chris Raglin wrote:

Something like what I built to haul my Civic would work. This trailer easily fits in a 20ft deep standard small garage with the car on in. That being said, I still pay to store the trailer at a mini-storage place rather than keep the car on it all the time.

A short trailer with a single 3500# axle? You built it yourself or someone else custom built it? Care to share cost/details? I like it, only seen one similar.

In any event, carefully think out paying for storage space. I looked into it myself and found that pretty much all of them require up-to-date tags/insurance (just TRY explaining to the desk nazi that its a race car...) and have restrictive gate hours. Like one closest to me, which was closed between 10 PM and 6 AM, and off limits entirely on Sunday or something. Which, of course, encompasses MOST of the times when I would be hitching up or returning. Besides the fact that there was a waiting list for spots.... AND the fact that an 8x20 open space was like $180/mo.. (!)... useless.

Chris Raglin
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    30 Nov 2009 03:17 PM
    Primetime Glick wrote:
    Chris Raglin wrote:

A short trailer with a single 3500# axle? You built it yourself or someone else custom built it? Care to share cost/details? I like it, only seen one similar.

I built this trailer in a neighbor's garage about 12 yrs ago, so cost details probably wouldn't be relevant. It's a really simple design. Only took about a weekend to build. I used a 3500lb Dexter torsion axle with brakes and drop spindles. This combination puts the deck of the trailer really low, which is great for loading, stability, mileage, etc, and it bolts right to the frame rail with no need for spring hangers like a leaf spring axle. It's short enough that scraping the rear is no worse than a typical trailer. The whole thing weighs 750lbs, and tows great with my 1600lb car and a couple hundred pounds of parts/tools loaded on the tirerack and in the car. I bet I've put close to 100k miles on it by now.

-Chris

STiylish

--
    01 Dec 2009 04:05 PM

I got to check the house I will place an offer on and the garage is 19' 8'' x 19' 7'' which is about 2 inches longer than the trailex bolted trailers so it could just fit in the garage. Trailex has two very simlar models and one is just wider than the other. If I go with this less expensive house with only a 2 car garage and get a good deal on it because its a foreclosure, I will also be buying a used Evo once I move in and have a place to park it. Good point on the ability to walk around a trailer. I would have to place the trailer on the far side of the garage and then place the tool boxes on the side closer to the door and in this house it would work fine but others with two car garages it could be right in the way. Ideally I just need the ability to fit the trailer in the garage and I will keep it outside most of the time until I am harassed about it or in the winter when both the Lotus and the trailer would not used often.

I am leaning towards the Trailex style trailer but do not know if the wider one is worth the extra $$ and if the narrower one would fit an Evo on it.

I agree that renting a spot at a storage space blows although its not as overpriced here at $50 a month for a 10x20 parking space.

I definently would prefer a 3 car garage but if I spend more to get a home with a 3 car garage I will not be able to buy any decent cars to fill it with.

rande
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    02 Dec 2009 10:32 AM
    PCalhoun wrote:
    TrailEx models are very popular in the Porsche world for their light-weight, but I question their long-term durability, as they are typically bolt together models NOT welded. They do hold their value well due to demand and the perception of quality and light-weight. TrailEx is built in Ohio, so that would be less distance for freight.
    I've got a TrailEx that I bought used about 4 years ago. It was built in the early 80s. Still going strong and no problems. Only thing I have had to do since purchase is install new brakes. Probably need tires this year. Although, those aren't specific to a Trailex, any trailer would need brakes and tires. :)
    The benefit to being bolt together is everything is adjustable or replaceable if damaged.
    Mine is an 18-foot and weights about 900 lbs.
    glenn@traileroutlet.com

--
    25 Dec 2009 09:07 AM
    Nate, I have a couple of 14 ft long bed - plus 3 1/2 ft tongue length trailers that will carry your Lotus Elise. The ones in stock are single axle - with electric brakes , all aluminum frame . One has a wood deck, the other has an all aluminum deck. they are rated at 3,500lbs GVWR, will carry up to a 2,500lb car no problem. I can also build a custom trailer any size, even ones with a fold away, or removable tongue if necessary. Give me a call for more information. Thanks , Glenn glenn@traileroutlet.com 973-347-3472
    glenn@traileroutlet.com

--
    25 Dec 2009 09:13 AM
    Nate, after reading more of this thread, I thought I would mention , the 2 trailers i have in stock that are small single axle all aluminum frame are built by Mission Trailers , I am also a dealer for Aluma, ATC, Worthington, and 25 other brands of trailers , plus offering our own custom manufacturing, and extensive customization capabilities. If I can help , great, if I am too far from you, I can help find a dealer near you . Let me know if you need any help with finding a trailer . Thanks again, glenn
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner