Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jeffh
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
02 Apr 2012 11:48 PM

Getting ready to go and looking forward to it..

How are the run groups going to work? How many runs expected? Rumor is the novice school will be running in addition to the 50 car registration limit.

Panzer
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Apr 2012 07:32 AM
    Hi Jeff,

Each driver registered for the test and tune will work an assignment for one 1.5 hour slot. Outside of that, drivers are free to run all day. The novice school will be running concurrently. See you Saturday'
    s1mpsons
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    03 Apr 2012 11:43 AM

I urge Perry and crew to incorporate a designated skid pad. Additionally, there should be a designated Slalom (long) area or at minimum a long slalom on the T&T course. These are critical tuning tools.

autox4u

--
    04 Apr 2012 02:53 PM
    Not all will running at the same time. Approximately 15-20 will always be working. With no breaks as there is no heats, should get plenty of seat time.

Worker time slots are on a first come first serve basis.

I will as about using lot D for a skidpad. If we get it, Jake you are volunteered to set it up.

Perry
    s1mpsons
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    04 Apr 2012 03:07 PM

I'll take care of it, just save me 25-40 cones. See you all Saturday morning!

autox4u

--
    04 Apr 2012 05:52 PM

OK.... I just got approval, there will be a Skidpad in Lot D...

PA
    s1mpsons
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Apr 2012 05:29 PM
    Thanks are due to Sandro for helping plan the skid-pad protocol, set-up, timing (stop watch), and G-force (lateral acceleration) calculation worksheets (function of radius and lap times). Worksheets will be available at T&S (or with the skip-pad worker, if any).
    jeffh
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Apr 2012 08:42 PM
    Sounds like it's gonna be a great T&T!
    SIMMONS-RACING
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    06 Apr 2012 10:25 PM
    What time does worker sign up open?

Simmons
    phl

--
    11 Apr 2012 04:12 PM
    s1mpsons wrote:

I urge Perry and crew to incorporate a designated skid pad. Additionally, there should be a designated Slalom (long) area or at minimum a long slalom on the T&T course. These are critical tuning tools.

Thank you Elena, Sandro and Jake, for making this happen, and for being so well-prepared and organized. Those who didn't try this missed the opportunity to practice on the skid pad and measure tire temps and lateral acceleration (Gs.)

The attached picture graphs vehicle speed on the skidpad, (from 5Hz gps data.) It shows a counter-clockwise warm up, then a clockwise warm up, then a counter-clockwise test run. Note the speed increase as the tires warm up. The minimum corner radius was 52.5 ft. I'm guesstimating actual radius at 55+ ft, (2.5 ft off the cones.) Average speed (from gps) was about 29 mph.

Here is lateral acceleration, calculated from the gps speed data. This seems consistent with the 0.95 Gs calculated on-site based on hand-timing the laps. The on-site G value should be lower, since the assumed radius is the minimum 52.5 ft, smaller than the actual value.

Radius (ft) Gs @ 29 mph
    52.5 1.08
    55.0 1.03
    57.5 0.98
    60.0 0.94

Lessons learned: Take all the data, then decide what's important later. I should have taken rear tire temps. Warm-ups in two directions are probably unnecessary.

Next time: Have the adjustable rear swaybar. Bring an assortment of spring rubbers. Test changing driving technique to reduce understeer. Practice making finer adjustments to speed and path. Video/photo the car. Watch another driver in the car. Compare lap times for different radii to show the value of minimizing distance.

[Edit: Fixed Picture]

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Vorshlag 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner