Naugusty

--
08 May 2012 11:34 AM

These are the items I would like to have clarified for a 2002 Mustang GT

· Gearing

· IRS Swap

· Coil Overs

· Torque Arms

In the 2012 Solo rule book nothing is stated explicitly regarding rear end ratios in street prepared meaning it falls back to stock rules. However, based on line 15.1 B which states that the allowances are only in excess of stock but that if vehicles are on the same line in Appendix A then they are considered the same and parts can be swapped except for engines/transaxles/transmissions which must be replaced in their entirety. Then it would follow that any gear ratios could be used as long as they came in one of the vehicles listed on the same lines. For instance the 2000 Cobra R and 03-04 Cobras came with 3.55 rear ends and an IRS. So, my interpretation would be that I would be within the rules running 3.55’s and an IRS. Additionally though, the Appendix A lists NOC.. Does that mean “not otherwise classified”? Where I was going with this is if a Saleen/Roush/Steeda Mustang of the same vintages listed came with 3.73’s stock, would I still be within the rules to run 3.73s? Bottom line, I have ran ESP previously in Jacksonville, Fl and even CP due to my coil over suspension but have always done it with a set of 3.73s and I thought that I was within the rules previously. May not have been so….

Regarding coil overs, 15.8 A states that the springs must be located in the stock location. However, this line also contains some additional verbiage regarding the use of a coil over setup in that the spring perches can be altered and adjustable. Is there an interpretation of the rules which would allow a coil over setup in ESP on a 2002 mustang? The Mac strut configuration has an inboard spring on the control arm. For instance, Camaros have the spring mounted over the strut. I would interpret the rules such that coil overs would be legal on the front of a Camaro.

Regarding torque arms, I believe there are two important sections. 15.2 E.6 and 15.8 I.2

E.6 states that the toqure arm front mount can NOT be mounted to the SFC.

I.2 allows torque arms.

This means that a torque arm can be integrated into the chassis if it does not tie into the SFC which means that I would be subject to the chassis modification rules. I am interpreting the rules correctly right? This is slightly annoying since all the aftermarket parts out there tie into the SFC’s.

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

- Nick Augustyniak nick.augustyniak@gmail.com

boss002

--
    08 May 2012 12:18 PM
    Ok, to start things off I haven't been doing this long and i'll post what I think I know. I'm sure someone more educated in the class and rules will have something to add later

Simply put..

-3.55 gears are allowed and you don't need a IRS
    -3.73 i've never heard that argument, so we'll see
    -IRS Swap is legal
    -Coil overs are illegal on our stangs but I believe legal on new generations with the spring over strut style
    -Torque Arms are a no go if you use any popular off the shelf, because they mount into the SFC. Apparently their was a griggs and another company that mounted them differently, but it would pretty much have to be custom to be legal
    SMSupercoupe
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 May 2012 04:44 PM
    Roush/Saleen/Steeda aren't on the same line as Ford-produced Mustangs.
    ACM
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    08 May 2012 06:30 PM
    What little I can add is in regards to springs. I assisted someone with an IRS-equipped Cobra identifying what he could do about this very problem. The rules as written do not allow the use of coilovers in the rear, the springs must remain in their original position. I was quite surprised by this, I assumed that at least additional springs would be allowed, but they are not. Further, Aegir was not able to source any usefully stiffer springs off the shelf, not even from Sam Strano, and was left with the prospect of getting custom springs wound. This was several years ago, perhaps the IRS spring availability has changed now ?

It's a shame SP doesn't allow something helpful for cars in this position - I for one would support the allowance of additional springs, as a coilover for example. Perhaps required to retain springs in the OEM position, no softer than stock ? But that would probably become a can'o'worms that nobody would want to open !

Naugusty

--
    08 May 2012 06:46 PM

All;

Thanks for the numerous replies and help regarding this subject! I greatly appreciate it.

-Nick

47CP
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

--
    08 May 2012 10:20 PM
    ACM wrote:
    What little I can add is in regards to springs. I assisted someone with an IRS-equipped Cobra identifying what he could do about this very problem. The rules as written do not allow the use of coilovers in the rear, the springs must remain in their original position. I was quite surprised by this, I assumed that at least additional springs would be allowed, but they are not. Further, Aegir was not able to source any usefully stiffer springs off the shelf, not even from Sam Strano, and was left with the prospect of getting custom springs wound. This was several years ago, perhaps the IRS spring availability has changed now ?

It's a shame SP doesn't allow something helpful for cars in this position - I for one would support the allowance of additional springs, as a coilover for example. Perhaps required to retain springs in the OEM position, no softer than stock ? But that would probably become a can'o'worms that nobody would want to open !

FWIW - the rule says the spring must stay in the stock location, but any spring can be used. I am sure with some imagination, some type of other spring could be easily adapted to get whatever rate you want.

DaveW

Cito
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

--
    09 May 2012 11:06 AM
    Circle track springs are widely available that work in the front of these cars. I am not sure about the back. I ran H&R race springs on my 2003 Cobra, which I thought were adequate for the back. The front springs were more of a problem for me, but that is because the Terminators are so nose heavy and might not necessarily apply here.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Sunoco 88x31 Button
    Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
    G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
    Leroy Engineering Micro Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner