new to solo
 10 Replies
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Campo

--
19 Jun 2012 04:10 PM

I'm new to solo racing, i have only done it twice last summer, and i had a blast. i would like to attend the event on 7-7-12 @ nassau coliseum, and the event on 7-28-12 at new meadowlands stadium. i want to talk to a few people, ask them a few questions, and get a feel for the crowd. my car is setup fairly well for an event like this. any information or advice you can help me out with i would greatly appreciate. thank you.

newportroyal

--
    19 Jun 2012 06:38 PM
    When you go to the Meadowlands, eat lunch at Harold's Deli in East Rutherford. You can thank me later.Aside from that, NNJR seems to run more 'sweeper courses' than transitional courses, so depending on what you're used to, it might be challenging, it certainly has been for me.Also, the surface at the meadowlands is unbelievable. It's super high grip, yet its easy on tires.I've just started running with NNJR this year and its a great group of people with some really well organized and smooth running events. You won't be disappointed.
    Campo

--
    19 Jun 2012 06:59 PM
    ive been to the harolds in the raritan center several times. i had to roll myself out of there. its just ridiculous. im waiting for my new clutch to break in. ill be getting my car this saturday, and the break in period begins. so i figure after 500 miles of being easy in the city traffic, she'll be ready to rock. then its back to buisness. thanks for the response. i cant wait to start runnin.
    TrqlessWonder

--
    19 Jun 2012 10:26 PM
    make sure to bring lunch and lots of water with you. nnjr doesn't screw around, so don't expect a formal lunch break. harold's might be awesome, but a morning sub from wawa/quickchek will do the job fine if you aren't the type to make it at home. But don't kid yourself. It's a full day in the sun and wind with an elevated heart rate. There's an EMT on-site for a reason.

as for talking to people, register as a novice. this will advertise you as someone needing advice/instruction. learn the faces of the guys standing in front of the truck facing you during the driver's meeting, because most of them are instructors. when running, a few minutes before you hop in your car, ask the folks in grid for an instructor. they will find one for you, if you don't ask one of the instructors yourself first. you'll find that most everybody is completely approachable, instructor or not.

other than that, you may want to bring a 12-volt compressor, a tire gauge with a bleed valve, and a healthy dose of humility, because there are some incredibly fast drivers out there. but, they all sucked in the beginning, myself included. aside from being fun no matter how fast you actually go, it really is more of a learned skill than a natural gift.
    Campo

--
    20 Jun 2012 06:38 PM
    Great advice. I plan on starting slow and steady. Being smooth and poised is the foundation of being fast. I'm not expecting to go there and do amazing on a first run. I plan on learning as did the rest of you. I probably need to have another car there to keep a cooler, water, rain gear, food, etc. Prob the girlfriend ha ha. That's her job is to be there for me. (And store coolers and food in her car) ha ha. I can just take the compressor out of my parents Mercedes for now, it'll do the trick.do you or anyone you know go to the events at nassu coliseum?
    TrqlessWonder

--
    20 Jun 2012 10:20 PM
    never did nassau myself, but you've probably seen some nnjr regulars out there...I used to be an incorrigible regular part of the nnjr crew. sadly, a new, much better job forced me to move to upstate NY. Make good use of the large regions while you have access to them. It's harder to get a lot of strong competition/good instruction when you don't have a large pool to draw from.

NJ Drive

--
    20 Jun 2012 10:21 PM
    NNJR has an air compressor on site.
    Campo

--
    21 Jun 2012 07:20 AM
    Well I have an apt in NY, and some weekends I'm at my parents house in nj. So I'll be back and forth really. Depending on where I am at any given time. I travel around a lot.
    NIFARES

--
    21 Jun 2012 01:05 PM
    I'm a regular at Nassau since I'm from NYC. Never been to NNJR Meadowlands events. The lot in Nassau has been improved since last year; It's been repaved. However, there are numerous complains, especially AM runs, that the lot being slippery.

Comedown on the 7th. It's fun being with us and everybody is friendly. I normally run with my se-r sentra but for that day, I will be in my 240sx co-driving with a friend.

There's a McDonald's nearby and a decent convenience store in the Sunoco gas station where you can get Ice, water, or whatever.

Campo

--
    21 Jun 2012 05:40 PM
    I'll be there. Just keep an eye out for my car. I'll be watching for the time being.
    vreihen
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    23 Jun 2012 07:15 AM
    Why only watch? Do like everyone else and leave your cooler and other gear on the ground in your paddock parking space and drive! The break-in on the showroom clutch in my car was two dozen SCCA ProSolo AWD launches from the drag tree, and believe it or not it still has the same clutch that it left the factory with after 100K miles and many years of ProSolo and autocross launches. Of course, I don't drive a Honda S2000, which I hear comes with a spare clutch disc mounted in the trunk with the spare tire because they burn through three a year.

There's a thread for the 7/7 Nassau event on the New York Region forum, which is right above this one in the SCCAforums list. Online registration is already open, and you now have a personal engraved invitation..... :-)
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Woodhouse Motorsports
    SPS 88x31 Button G-Loc Button
    Vorshlag 88x31 Button Leroy Engineering Micro Button
    Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner