Author Messages
Bullitt2954
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
01 Jan 2010 01:03 PM
mattm wrote:

Okay so was the guy "new" or a "friggin' idiot?" [:)]

It is sort of moot since the "leasee" of the trailer switched to 12" wheels. One of these days I'll go back to a car that has to pull tires 'cause they won't fit inside. At least someone is making use of it, better than sitting unused. It's too nice a trailer to sell.

"Friggin' Idiot Newbie"? [8-|]

boardkat
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
01 Jan 2010 01:24 PM
sigh... really wish the nearest tractor supply wasn't >500 miles away, and/or they shipped the 4x6 [:'(]
chris, sent you an email.
Bullitt2954
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
02 Jan 2010 11:07 AM

boardkat wrote:
sigh... really wish the nearest tractor supply wasn't >500 miles away, and/or they shipped the 4x6 [:'(]
chris, sent you an email.

Tractor Supply...the stuff you need out here.........How you get it here is up to you...........

snaponbob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
02 Jan 2010 08:13 PM

1) Those "silly ass straps" have been working great for three full seasons.

2) The 8" vs. 12" wheel/tire issue has been addressed. That guy IS an idiot.

3) Tows great even at 85 mph, I just don't travel at those speeds much when towing.

4) People can spend as much as they like, and engineer as heavily as they wish, but for 18-20 Solo events a year mine is fine. Just wanted something big enough to haul what I needed (Solstice/Sky have just NO trunk space) and when emptied I could stand up against the wall.

<!--Session data-->
Dick Rasmussen
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
03 Jan 2010 06:51 AM
snaponbob wrote:

1) Those "silly ass straps" have been working great for three full seasons. <!--Session data-->

For theft deterrence I run plastic coated bicycle security cable through tires and the car when I'm going to have overnight stops. Too easy to cut straps.

Dick

CM 85

John V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
03 Jan 2010 10:39 AM

Anyone running 12" wheels, do yourself a huge favor and go to Tire Rack and buy a set of Yokohama Y372 tires. They're meant for a Ford Festiva. They have more than enough load rating for a tire trailer and they increase the rolling diameter over the bias tires that come on those trailers. They also run cooler, bounce less (read: not at all), don't tramline, don't lose traction in the rain...

I know they're not trailer tires, but they've worked great for me. They just barely fit under my trailer. I raised the fenders slightly to accommodate them.

Also: I despise those ratchet straps. They are OK for keeping the tires from bouncing around but you must must must use some manner of positive retention (like a bar, or a cable or something). The straps are just too likely to move around. I've seen too many people lose tires on the freeway.

snaponbob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

--
03 Jan 2010 11:50 AM
John V wrote:

Also: I despise those ratchet straps. They are OK for keeping the tires from bouncing around but you must must must use some manner of positive retention (like a bar, or a cable or something). The straps are just too likely to move around. I've seen too many people lose tires on the freeway.

Understand all that. But like any tool, used properly, they are great. I do use tow of them, and have a third in the tub. I trusted them to hang on to BMW R90S and other expensive bikes, so figured that they were up to this task. Oh, and they always get checked for fraying. One of the reasons for the eye bolts is to have a more positive attachment point. Also, there are wood blocks f&r of the tires to prevent rolling. Heck, once I get home, the tires are actually STUCK together at the sidewalls.

solonut

--
03 Jan 2010 09:48 PM
get a HF 4x8 and lopp off 2ft off the back and move the axle forward.....
DrJones_CMR
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

--
19 Mar 2010 05:24 AM

Did you ever get a tire trailer?

I am selling the one I used on my solstice. it fits 315's.

SMSupercoupe
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
21 Mar 2010 07:33 AM
Still don't have a trailer. Price, pictures to magnumpi@dock.net, please.
boardkat
Basic Member
Basic Member

--
21 Mar 2010 10:52 AM
DrJones_CMR wrote:

Did you ever get a tire trailer?

I am selling the one I used on my solstice. it fits 315's.

emailed ya
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Woodhouse Motorsports SPS 88x31 Button
G-Loc Button Vorshlag 88x31 Button
Leroy Engineering Micro Button Sunoco 88x31 Button

Advertise on SCCAForums.com and reach thousands of visitors per day!

SafeRacer FREE SHIPPING over $99

Shop for Pirelli tires at Tire Rack. blank

Sunoco Bottom 468x60 Banner